Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

I've just spotted these on the Dapol site: all 00, all in tooling and all for release in quarter 2 or 3, 2016. The correspondence to the abortive DJ Models anouncement is not exact but uncomfortably close.

4D-005-000 Class 59 Foster Yeoman "Alan J Day" 59002
4D-005-001 Class 59 ARC "Village Of Great Elm" 59103
4D-005-002 Class 59 DB Schenker "John F Yeoman"
4D-005-003 Class 59 National Power Blue 59204.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep, the Dapol class 59 is not just in OO, there is also planned, and has been for quite some time now, an N gauge version (due 3rd quarter 2016 according to their website):

2D-005-000 Class 59 Foster Yeoman `Alan J Day' 59002    
2D-005-001 Class 59 ARC `Village Of Great Elm' 59103      
2D-005-002 Class 59 DB Schenker `John F Yeoman'           
2D-005-003 Class 59 National Power Blue 59204                 

I'm not so sure what "uncomfortably close" means - there were only 15 made (and in three sub-classes) so I guess any selected to be produced as models will be pretty similar to give a range of liveries and sub-classes. And the Dapol N gauge class 59 was announced well before DJMs class 59, unfortunately now cancelled, announcement.

G.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dave did say on his post in the DJM thread that "knowing the things he knows, he wasn't worried about the Dapol announcements". Perhaps they are just announcing the liveries they are trying to get permission to produce?

• Funny 1

Yep, the Dapol class 59 is not just in OO, there is also planned, and has been for quite some time now, an N gauge version (due 3rd quarter 2016 according to their website):

2D-005-000 Class 59 Foster Yeoman `Alan J Day' 59002    

2D-005-001 Class 59 ARC `Village Of Great Elm' 59103      

2D-005-002 Class 59 DB Schenker `John F Yeoman'           

2D-005-003 Class 59 National Power Blue 59204                 

I'm not so sure what "uncomfortably close" means - there were only 15 made (and in three sub-classes) so I guess any selected to be produced as models will be pretty similar to give a range of liveries and sub-classes. And the Dapol N gauge class 59 was announced well before DJMs class 59, unfortunately now cancelled, announcement.

G.

There is and was a great range of liveries, so there is a much wider choice than 15.

I'd say that the following was more "uncomfortably close" than coincidental.

Dapol 59002 "Alan J Day" Foster Yeoman

DJ Models 59002 "Yeoman Enterprise" Foster Yeoman

Dapol 59103 "Village Of Great Elm" ARC

DJ Models 59103 "Village of Mells" ARC mustard & grey

Dapol 59204 National Power Blue

DJ Models 59204 "Vale of Glamorgan" National Power

Dapol "John F Yeoman" DB Schenker

DJ Models 50206 "John F. Yeoman" DB Schenker

All the same, I'm glad that 59s are being made. From my blinkered point of view, I'm amazed that Hornby didn't re-tool the old offering.

Following Grahame's useful N listing, am I missing something here? Is the implication that DJModels selected the same pattern of numbers/liveries as Dapol had in N beforehand, or that Dapol is following its N list in 00. For the life of me I cannot see the issue, except that no-one seems to be planning the one-off silver/green/orange Mendip Rail livery which matched the NACCO and CAIB/VTG open box wagons.

Is the implication that DJModels selected the same pattern of numbers/liveries as Dapol had in N beforehand, or that Dapol is following its N list in 00. For the life of me I cannot see the issue, .

Exactly.

AFAIC it doesn't matter and hardly warrants a potential conspiracy comment along the lines of being uncomfortable. But then I'm more disappointed that the N gauge class 59 has taken so long, but pleased one will be coming along. In the long gestation period I did bother to make my own class 59 which NGS members can see and read about in the next issue of the Journal (6/15).

G.

Great news, and refreshing new approach to announcing models, not in one big catalogue, but consistantly throughout the year to keep us surprised and glued.

Doesnt look too bad the CAM of the 59. Wonder how long for it in AI livery?

OO%20Class%2059-400x200.jpg

I think what Mike means is that the CAD shows a 59/0 front light cluster with 59/1 or 59/2 NRN pod positioning.

Where did that CAD come from (I don't see them on the Dapol website)? Where can we comment on the CADs...?

Edited by lyneux

I think what Mike means is that the CAD shows a 59/0 front light cluster with 59/1 or 59/2 NRN pod positioning.

Where did that CAD come from (I don't see them on the Dapol website)? Where can we comment on the CADs...?

On the Dapol 'launches' page :)

I shall be buy one, if some retailer wants to commission a limited edition of the Aggregates Industry livery.

Its good to see Dapol getting back on track and the link further up to their summary from the members day which provides clarity. I think this is a good approach by them and I'm delighted that they are doing the 59 in OO to join the N gauge one that was announced a long time ago. Its a loco type that I've been interested in ever since seeing a scratch built ARC 59 at Fleetwood show before lima produced their model. A DB 59 and probably original Yeoman one will be on my wants list.

• Like 2

Whilst I am not a big fan of the class 66s, I remember when the 59s first arrived seeing them working stone trains along the GW mainline. They were very different at the time in their new Original Foster Yeoman livery and looked quite smart. It is good news for us 00 gauge modellers to finally get a higher spec model 59.

I can see me getting one in FY livery when Dapol release their model.

• Like 1

Apart from the lights, that looks like a 59/2 through and through! It's got the cut levers for the NP buckeye (removed by EWS) and all the under frame details are from a 59/2. I wonder if they will bother with the (admittedly small) differences between the bogies on the 59/2s and the other ones

Jo

Apart from the lights, that looks like a 59/2 through and through! It's got the cut levers for the NP buckeye (removed by EWS) and all the under frame details are from a 59/2. I wonder if they will bother with the (admittedly small) differences between the bogies on the 59/2s and the other ones

I raised this with them on their Facebook Jo. Their reply:

The CAD/CAM shown is for publicity only and incorporates and amalgamates many features of the individual subclasses. The project manager is aware of the feature differences and how these were applied to the different types and I am sure he will publish pictures in the forthcoming weeks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The CAD/CAM shown is for publicity only and incorporates and amalgamates many features of the individual subclasses. The project manager is aware of the feature differences and how these were applied to the different types and I am sure he will publish pictures in the forthcoming weeks.

I don't know why companies do that! I get that everyone wants to show progress but if there are known errors in the CAD then why not explain that you know about errors x, y and z - it saves having to deal with lots of people worried that you have no idea about the differences (and then writing to you on FB or commenting here)!

Cheers, Mike

PS I am sure that I will be hoisted with my own petard about some CAD that Ben and I put out!