Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

• RMweb Gold

I have just seen the painted examples in Rail Express no.270 and the 59s look great. however please take note of what members of the Dapol digest forum and on here say as the last few models of locos and wagons have been released with inaccuracies (i.e HIA wagon with a white end when it is silver / aluminium).

It maybe that the details are missing but i have noticed the following:

1) the ends steps are still missing (as i pointed out on 1st july on the Dapol digest forum)

2) the horizontal buckeye release bar is missing on the 59/2

3) on the 59/2 the side radiator bars should be black

4) white retaining straps missing on the side fire bottles

5) the nubers on the 59/2 look too large as there is more of a red surround of the numbers to the cast plates edge

regards

Darryl

The straps are black Darryl, not white, but again, as you say, lots of avoidable errors.

I'm kind of losing the will to live with the 59. Having been waiting for a considerably long time, and with the constant errors (look at the 2mm GWR HST - it's current yet the livery is still wrong) that Dapol seem unconcerned about, I think I'll stick to my modified Lima / Hornby 59/2. It looks like a 59/2 (201 in this case complete with bell and fire extinguishers) and owes me £60

The hobby needs Dapol but I fear they will soon be extinct if they continue going the way they are, as there's some new kids on the block (Accurascale, Revolution and Hattons) that take a lot of pride in what they make.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Totally nonsense and out of order.

Totally agree with this.

Yes there have been some livery issues. Those aside, the standard of new releases from Dapol since the Western have been exceptionally high. And they are impacted by supply issues in no greater way than any of the other suppliers.

Probably because that’s one people will want, so you do a second batch later to cover those off and get sales. Never do the most desirable options in the first batch!

...and like any Manufacturer, holding back a percieved “must have” until later increases the chance they will buy two.

Umm, agreed, but Dapol never seem to follow this policy, instead having a tendency to try and cover (almost) all desirable options from day one while simultaneously making a sow's ear of them - look at the 73 for example: rail blue, large logo, Inter-City, Pullman, GBRf etc etc all in the first run - and all with errors.  If they manage to pull-off this handful of private owner liveries for the 59, including all of the corresponding logos and individual shades/schemes without a hitch then I'll eat more than my hat.  Don't hear me wrong, I sincerely hope that they do get them right, but I have to admit I know where my betting hand lays at the moment...

Edited by YesTor

The straps are black Darryl, not white, but again, as you say, lots of avoidable errors.

I'm kind of losing the will to live with the 59. Having been waiting for a considerably long time, and with the constant errors (look at the 2mm GWR HST - it's current yet the livery is still wrong) that Dapol seem unconcerned about, I think I'll stick to my modified Lima / Hornby 59/2. It looks like a 59/2 (201 in this case complete with bell and fire extinguishers) and owes me £60

The hobby needs Dapol but I fear they will soon be extinct if they continue going the way they are, as there's some new kids on the block (Accurascale, Revolution and Hattons) that take a lot of pride in what they make.

Let's hope they don't go extinct as they have produced some astounding models and since the troubles of 73 they have certainly improved customer service by offering body swops on the 68. I only wish they would make further runs of models such as the MRA wagon, which are now going for silly prices.

they are white on np59/2

Let's hope they don't go extinct as they have produced some astounding models and since the troubles of 73 they have certainly improved customer service by offering body swops on the 68. I only wish they would make further runs of models such as the MRA wagon, which are now going for silly prices.

Yes have to agree

Own 5 DRS 68's, all 3 Network Rail MRA packs, super low 45's, IOA's, JNA's, ICA's, all other intermodal wagons/containers and they are truly outstanding models thus yes Dapol are crucial to the market and need to stay alive.

I thought the way they handled the DRS body swap was outstanding.

• Like 2

...the standard of new releases from Dapol since the Western have been exceptionally high. And they are impacted by supply issues in no greater way than any of the other suppliers...

Possibly so. However announced items not produced over the past near ten years are incapable of assessment. I have arrived at the conclusion that the name is an acronym for 'Don't Actually Produce Our List'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Possibly so. However announced items not produced over the past near ten years are incapable of assessment. I have arrived at the conclusion that the name is an acronym for 'Don't Actually Produce Our List'.

Is this an Ngauge thing? Can’t think of anything OO outstanding that long.

• RMweb Premium

This model was announced 3 years ago and has barely got off the ground. I have given up on getting one now. The Hattons 66 has a much shorter timeline, will probably look much better and will be available next spring, whereas I suspect this 59 project could end up being shelved. I hope I’m wrong as a top notch 59 would sit nice on any modern image layout and certainly help Dapol.

• Like 1

This model was announced 3 years ago and has barely got off the ground. I have given up on getting one now. The Hattons 66 has a much shorter timeline, will probably look much better and will be available next spring, whereas I suspect this 59 project could end up being shelved. I hope I’m wrong as a top notch 59 would sit nice on any modern image layout and certainly help Dapol.

What nonsense. 

Trying to get an award for stupid posts?

Bit harsh -the class 59 is at Livery stage but the pace of development has been slow since announcement.

Mark

I've always thought of 7013 to be a more mature and sensible member of this forum....until that post of his!

We all know model trains face delays, it's inevitable. Dapol have been through a really tough patch, the new guys at the top are striving hard to make amends and improve everything which someone else made a mess of. It's been covered in depth on RMweb. Passing a comment like what 7013 did comes across as harsh as well and quite frankly looks like there was no thought put into it. I don't see such remarks on other manufacturer sub-forums. Why?

None of us have invested in Dapol's Class 59. Our money still hasn't left our wallets. So why the fuss?? It's a hobby isn't it? Life will go on whether or not models are made. We can see progress being made, what's the need to make a false assumption about it being shelves on a public forum? It's going to cause nothing but more mindless rumours.

I've always thought of 7013 to be a more mature and sensible member of this forum....until that post of his!

We all know model trains face delays, it's inevitable. Dapol have been through a really tough patch, the new guys at the top are striving hard to make amends and improve everything which someone else made a mess of. It's been covered in depth on RMweb. Passing a comment like what 7013 did comes across as harsh as well and quite frankly looks like there was no thought put into it. I don't see such remarks on other manufacturer sub-forums. Why?

None of us have invested in Dapol's Class 59. Our money still hasn't left our wallets. So why the fuss?? It's a hobby isn't it? Life will go on whether or not models are made. We can see progress being made, what's the need to make a false assumption about it being shelves on a public forum? It's going to cause nothing but more mindless rumours.

Don't disagree with anything you have said. Don't know 7013 by the way and was surprised by his post too but we are all allowed an off day!

Mark

Don't disagree with anything you have said. Don't know 7013 by the way and was surprised by his post too but we are all allowed an off day!

Mark

Clearly he hasn't been keeping up with the news as these Class 59s are now are the livery sample stage. Production isn't far off and neither will delivery be. More like an attempt to cause a little stir up than anything else as information about this model has been made public recently.

• RMweb Gold

One of my previous posts was a little harsh, and mainly due to the frustration that Dapol make so many errors, despite taking ages to get the models out, however, the delay in the 59 is down to Andy not being happy with the bogies - apparently they didn't look chunky enough. At least there's someone with a bit of savvy....just a shame it doesn't rub off on other people!

I’ll wait and see what it’s like. I deffo need hattons 66 if they are any good, but the 59 has a more limited range of possibilities and there isn’t much you can put behind it at present

exactly. Only wagons so far:

Lima ARC/Yeoman PGA's

Lima / Hornby Arc/Yeoman Tipplers

the future Dapol Yeoman JHA

plenty of box and hopper wagons to make

shame no one has ever made anything to do behind the NP59. Hence why i have made 9x NP JMA's from FLHH HHA's.

• RMweb Gold

exactly. Only wagons so far:

Lima ARC/Yeoman PGA's

Lima / Hornby Arc/Yeoman Tipplers

the future Dapol Yeoman JHA

plenty of box and hopper wagons to make

shame no one has ever made anything to do behind the NP59. Hence why i have made 9x NP JMA's from FLHH HHA's.

Theres always a railtour.

• RMweb Premium

My apologies to anyone I have upset with my post, of course I had forgot that the original model had been to be taken over. My rather badly worded post meant to compare the Hattons 66 timeline with the 59s. Like Scoobyra my post was out of frustration rather than wishing to denigrate Dapols efforts. As Mark states it was an off day.

• Like 1