Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

• RMweb Gold

Dont worry about it. We all have off days.

There are so many factors that affect the progress and it cam be frustrating. For example I ordered D600 at what seems like the dawn of time.

I have seen the 59 prototype at shows so I do think it will emerge in 2019. I am in the market for the original FY 4. I may have to wait a bit longer.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As per the above pictures, I'd like to withdraw my 'Dapol couldn't make anything right if it only had one part' thought and congratulate Andy on getting the class 59 looking amazing. It was nice to hear him point out the revisions that needed doing and he's very determined to get it right. Would I buy one at £140 after seeing these.......most definitely!  

Not sure about the ARC mustard... looks like the same horrible yellow Hornby used. Also, why is the roof a different grey to the cabs?

Come on Andy, please post some detailed shots of the mustard one as I suggested for a few weeks back on the Dapol digest!

Thanks,

Guy

Andy did say to me the yellow wasnt right, same too on the NP one.

Give him chance, he was at pains to say these werent final ones.

That said, I dont think he should go too much darker on the ARC one, its not too far out, the Lima one was way too dark imho.

either way he’s on it, and certainly passionate ! - was great listening to him, theres a buzz about Dapol right now. There n gauge class 50’s took my attention for a while too, not my scale but still really nice to look at.

they are producing some fantastic models lately with the 73, 68 and now 59, plus the wagons they have and are producing. just placed an order for 5 of the JHA's to go with my 5x made JYA wagons.

I don't suppose they mentioned if they are going to produce the other liveries of Hanson, AI, Mendip Rail, EWS, GBRf and revised ARC / Yeoman or any ARC / Hanson / NP JHA's?

many thanks

Darryl

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The other JHAs are a totally different wagon - Powell-Duffryn built on LTF25 bogies, as opposed to the O&K variant used by Yeoman, so would be a new model. In some ways I’m surprised they didn’t do those instead of the O&K ones.

The 59s did look superb, pleased they’re adjusting the colours, my immediate thoughts were that the NP blue is too purple and the ARC mustard is too yellow. they look suitably imposing though.

I remain hopeful they downsize the locos and the wagons, and if they do the Hanson JHAs I’ll set up camp in Chirk until they do them too!

Not sure if this has been mentioned or if these samples have been run on a track but will the cab end valances be independent of the bogies as per Hatton's Class 66?

Edit: Actually if you look closely it is obvious they are, I'll just keep on walking...

Edited by classy52

Not sure if this has been mentioned or if these samples have been run on a track but will the cab end valances be independent of the bogies as per Hatton's Class 66?

Edit: Actually if you look closely it is obvious they are, I'll just keep on walking...

The valances are not part of the bogie frame. The attach to the body. You'll get two types, one full one and another with a cutout for the coupling.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

The valances are not part of the bogie frame. The attach to the body. You'll get one full one and another with a cutout for the coupling.

Thanks and yes expected as much, good to see new models that are coming out that don't have their front or back-end stuff following the bogies on turns.

Thanks and yes expected as much, good to see new models that are coming out that don't have their front or back-end stuff following the bogies on turns.

True....the first thing I did to my Hornby Class 90 was 3D print new valances. Hate big fat chunks of plastic swinging about.

The Dapol Class 59 is quite the model. I believe it also has rolling axle boxes also. Basically at par with the Hatton's Class 66 sans the see through bodyside grilles which I believe doesn't look good on the Class 66 (my opinion) as the holes are oversized.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 1

Andy did say to me the yellow wasnt right, same too on the NP one.

Give him chance, he was at pains to say these werent final ones.

That said, I dont think he should go too much darker on the ARC one, its not too far out, the Lima one was way too dark imho.

Sorry, but actually Lima got the ARC mustard more or less spot on. Lima (& Hornby) got the grey too dark but not the ARC mustard.

See below (from front to back: Phoenix, Lima, Hornby). 

post-7525-0-18816100-1543321226_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The other JHAs are a totally different wagon - Powell-Duffryn built on LTF25 bogies, as opposed to the O&K variant used by Yeoman, so would be a new model. In some ways I’m surprised they didn’t do those instead of the O&K ones.

The 59s did look superb, pleased they’re adjusting the colours, my immediate thoughts were that the NP blue is too purple and the ARC mustard is too yellow. they look suitably imposing though.

I remain hopeful they downsize the locos and the wagons, and if they do the Hanson JHAs I’ll set up camp in Chirk until they do them too!

Yes, they are a totally different wagon. Here is a side-by-side shot for comparison (the eagle-eyed might recognise the location):

post-7525-0-86135700-1543322577_thumb.jpg

Yes, agreed. The National Power blue is way off.... almost purple! Compare with below (also Phoenix).

post-7525-0-26182400-1543322613_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Yes, they are a totally different wagon. Here is a side-by-side shot for comparison (the eagle-eyed might recognise the location):

Long been an admirer of your efforts on the ARC ones - I had a couple of Mendip Models resin kits years ago which my teenage self made a massive hash of!

Long been an admirer of your efforts on the ARC ones - I had a couple of Mendip Models resin kits years ago which my teenage self made a massive hash of!

Eeek... the scenery is my effort but the one on the left was built by Jeremy Davidson from the Intercity Models kit (it's lovely!), whilst the ARC one I finished based on a scratch-built body by Andy Elliot.

I have one of the mendip models kits. I've not put it together, but I can see why it might not go so smoothly!

• Like 1

It would appear to be a colour that is extremely sensitive to the exposure of the photo. You need to to look at lots of photos and take the average of them.

E.g. this shot is the same (Phoenix) paint shades but 1/3 to 1/2 stop on the exposure makes it appear much brighter than in the shot of the three 59s I posted earlier.

The yellow just doesn't look 'mustardy' enough. Needs a tad more green maybe?

9436952491_d404185889_b.jpg

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 3

Like I said you get two types, one full valance and one with a cutout for the coupling... There's no need for a third one

And for those who don't want to fit standard couplings or have a hole in the valance...?

I hope they follow Hornbys sensible approach akin to the Class 60 by providing a spare of each allowing the user to choose which valance they want at both ends. Ie the model should come with 4, 2 already fitted and 2 spares.

• RMweb Premium

And for those who don't want to fit standard couplings or have a hole in the valance...?

I hope they follow Hornbys sensible approach akin to the Class 60 by providing a spare of each allowing the user to choose which valance they want at both ends. Ie the model should come with 4, 2 already fitted and 2 spares.

I suspect that the two of you are slightly at cross purposes here, and that there will be two types of valance provided, one with cut outs and one without, and that there will be a pair of each, as with most other similar locos - the Hornby 60, and as managed by even Lima on their 59, 60, 66 and 67. (This is one thing I think that really lets the Bachmann 66 down, as the valance is a big part of the "face" of the loco, it always grates to see them missing on otherwise well detailed models, especially since it is possible to fit representations and still allow the tension lock coupling to swing through almost its full arc.)

I'm pretty sure my English is simple enough. I have no idea what is confusing you. Dapol will provide two types of valances. One is a full one with absolutely no cutout for use on the ends you wish to detail. If you do not want to detail the ends and have couplings fitted, they will provide valances with a cutout so that the NEM pocket can be accessed and used to fit a coupling of your choice.

The valances are not part of the bogie frame. The attach to the body. You'll get one full one and another with a cutout for the coupling.

Sorry but I agree with SouthernMafia.

Read back your own post. That is ambiguous English. It implies you will only get two, not two types!

Guy

Edited by lyneux

Also posted on the Dapol digest just now.

Just noticed on the 59/0 (Yeoman model) the marker lights are too big. The tails and markers are the same size on the real loco (the red and white lights each side, not the central main headlight). If these are in the plastic, presume it's too late to fix

Jo

I’m looking forward to the DB red one as that really fits my modelling era although not sure what it will haul yet. A nice set of the revolution boxes would be ideal. I would like the iconic Silver Yeoman one too as I I had the original

Lima Model when it first came out.

Thanks

Mark