Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

• RMweb Gold
On 30/03/2020 at 05:44, MGR Hooper! said:

@Charlie

Just a word of advice from a potential customer. You seem to be obsessed with degrading and ridculing Hornby's older products lately. I saw it on your Class 156 thread and I've seen it here (I can't seem to find the post now, but I can see someone has quoted it).

pot, kettle..

17 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

That explains the QC issues then... :jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

pot, kettle..

Ever heard of sarcasm or understood emojis?

And in case you haven't noticed, Heljan do have a history of inaccurate models and bad QC. There's a difference between stating facts and unnecessarily degrading a model that isn't in the same league as your own.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

And in case you haven't noticed, Heljan do have a history of inaccurate models and bad QC. There's a difference between stating facts and unnecessarily degrading a model that isn't in the same league as your own.

Once more double standards come to the fore.  

Having given Charlie a message with a threatening tone on the Realtrack Class 142 thread you continue elsewhere. 

Like I said previously you have a lack of respect for other members and continue to play the unofficial advocate for certain companies whilst deriding others products. 

Perhaps it's time to think about what you type and how it comes across. 

Mark 

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Sarcasm often fails in texts, e-mails, etc. It relies on a more personal interaction.

Emojis are something for the younger tech-savvy generation. I can't be bothered with learning a whole new artificial language.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

... Back to the O/P ...

Let's hope that the promised features will appear and be well-represented, and reliable.

Looking forwards to this model.

Al.

same here, just hoping for the correct blue on the NP 59/2

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

OK .Now calm down and hold back from posting what you’ll regret later.This is pushing the envelope and verging on the litigious. Stop now.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

The realdrive feature that is on these,is that the drive lock that Hattons 66 has as thats a huge plus for realism on operating them as they really pull there pluck out to move with the jumbo stone loads into Acton,try pushing a few cement bags around B & Q and imagine moving 4800 tonne.

Has this been another Leggobiffo project??     @charliepetty

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=253_68&product_id=261

Roy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

The realdrive feature that is on these,is that the drive lock that Hattons 66 has as thats a huge plus for realism on operating them as they really pull there pluck out to move with the jumbo stone loads into Acton,try pushing a few cement bags around B & Q and imagine moving 4800 tonne.

Has this been another Leggobiffo project??     @charliepetty

I think it's a feature of the Loksound V5 and it's just people are making use of it now? The V5 hasn't been out that long, I think the later Dapol 68s have it too.

Might even have been a feature on the V4

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Lantavian said:

Be careful: accusing someone's comments of "verging on the litigious" might itself be defamatory if they're not.

And if you think those comments are "verging on the litigious", then this review of a Heljan loco will give you conniptions.

Not sure about conniptions but I've had a fit of laughter reading your reply.

Unfortunately it does not wash.

MGRHooper has made a rod for her own back with continued criticism of other manufacturers products whilst supporting certain brands in an exalted manner. 

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

Well I think her assertion that Heljan has had quality problems is fair comment.

And as for inaccuracies ... to be fair all OO models are inaccurate because they don't run on 18.83mm tracks, but do remember Heljan's extra-wide "tubby duffs"

Priceless.. 

4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Let’s move on.

The only comparison that’s valid in this thread is the Lima class 59 to Dapols class 59. Lima made a nice effort with the 59, inc different variations for the sub classes.

I still have my Lima ones, unfortunately upgrading them with Hornby class 66 drive units is not possible realistically as the Hornby class 66 bogie is much smaller than the Lima class 59 bogie.

The underframe of the 59 and 66 are different, so putting the new Hornby drive inside the old Lima 59 bogie is the only realistic option, but the wheel spacings off making it look.. odd. (I wasn’t sure if in reality the 59 and 66 bogies are different.. anyone confirm or if this is a tooling oddity ?).

So I’ve used the motor class 66 drive units in my Lima 31/37/47 instead.. and with minimal effort it will fit the standard Lima motor bogie frame, then just build a cradle to hold it in place in the chassis frame.

ive seen the EPs of Dapols 59, held them, they are lovely.. they are not uncommon to Hattons 66, much more detail orientated than the Lima 59, performance I take without any hesitation...it’s now all down to the paint job to cross the finish line.

It might be a silly question as I don't know much about them, but what about Hornby's 59? Surely the drive unit or bogie from that may work for you?

I know it's the old Lima tooling but I thought they'd maybe have updated the drivetrain like on the 66

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Is that the right one? I am presuming this is the ex-Lima one anyway? Don't know how many you need mind....

https://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x9664m-class-59-motor-bogie-drive-unit-grey-frames-this-motor-also-fits-37-47-bogies.ir

That's what I was thinking too. As far as I know, the ex-Lima 59 and 66 received the same modification to the drive, the key point being that the new style Hornby motor is mounted from above rather than pivoting on the chassis 'floor' so its not a straight take-one-out-and-put-other-in swap. Either a frame is needed to support the new bogie, or a Hornby (modified) chassis moulding. The latter option means that there will likely be a mismatch between what should be the same colours on body and chassis, especially on the ARC grey/yellow livery. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

..... (I wasn’t sure if in reality the 59 and 66 bogies are different.. anyone confirm, I’m guessing Hornby may have tooled a new class 66 bogie that fits the standard 6 wheel drive unit they use on the 31/36/47 ?),....

The bogies are different. For example, the axles are not  evenly spaced on a class 59 bogie but I believe they are on a class 66. For a modelling point of view just swapping the side frames means the axle boxes will not line up with the axles. Although it may be close enough for some people.

Having re-motored a Lima 59 with Bachmann 66 innards I can vouch for the fact that the axles are in the same position on both. Can't vouch for what Hornby have done though.

Will try to take some photos...

Guy

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/04/2020 at 20:12, adb968008 said:

Let’s move on.

The only comparison that’s valid in this thread is the Lima class 59 to Dapols class 59. Lima made a nice effort with the 59, inc different variations for the sub classes.

I still have my Lima ones, unfortunately upgrading them with Hornby class 66 drive units is not possible realistically as the Hornby class 66 bogie is much smaller than the Lima class 59 bogie.

The underframe of the 59 and 66 are different, so putting the new Hornby drive inside the old Lima 59 bogie is the only realistic option, but the wheel spacings are off making it look.. odd. (I wasn’t sure if in reality the 59 and 66 bogies are different.. anyone confirm, I’m guessing Hornby may have tooled a new class 66 bogie that fits the standard 6 wheel drive unit they use on the 31/36/47 ?), as the iirc Lima 59,66 and 92 used to use a different motor bogie.

So I’ve used the class 66 drive units in my Lima 31/37/47 instead.. and with minimal effort it will fit the standard Lima motor bogie frame, then just build a cradle to hold it in place in the chassis frame.

ive seen the EPs of Dapols 59, held them, they are lovely.. they are not uncommon to Hattons 66, much more detail orientated than the Lima 59, performance I take without any hesitation...it’s now all down to the paint job to cross the finish line.

I've put several lima 59 bodies onto a Hornby 59 chassis thus utilising the far better motor and dcc plug and fitted lights. I bought Hornby 59s for around £40 and then sold the old bodies on ebay. The Hornby upgraded motor is not as good as top notch motors on expensive models but with fine tuning cv's works nearly as good.! The only drawback is its adhesion-will only pull 5-6 wagons :-(  but the project can be achieved. I did this 3-4 yrs ago when at the time the Dapol 59 was sopposedly only a year off.. Its seems I made the right decision!! 

15876805173126889155506427085763.jpg

• Like 3

On 06/04/2020 at 20:12, adb968008 said:

Ive not yet got my hands on a Hattons class 66 (my mate has got the pink one on order so ill see his as soon as he gets it), however going by reports on this forum the rotating axle boxes fall off and other bits are prone to damage, having held the class 59 EP can you shed (no pun intended) any light on if you think the 59 might suffer the same issues, or did it look and feel like it was bit more well put together and robust to handling etc?

1 hour ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Ive not yet got my hands on a Hattons class 66 (my mate has got the pink one on order so ill see his as soon as he gets it), however going by reports on this forum the rotating axle boxes fall off and other bits are prone to damage, having held the class 59 EP can you shed (no pun intended) any light on if you think the 59 might suffer the same issues, or did it look and feel like it was bit more well put together and robust to handling etc?

If I recall correctly, the Dapol 59 doesn't appear to have anywhere near as many separately fitted parts as the Hattons 66  - no etched grilles to begin with and not sure the underframe/solebar is quite so well detailed either.

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Well the 68

I have 3 68s all have been spot on. Although they are all of more recent batches (006, 008, 034).

On the topic of etched grilles I think it's the bodyside ones that aren't etched like on the Hattons 66. Oddly enough though they are on the 68 so not sure what's going on here. Also worth noting the selling price for these is also quite a bit cheaper than the Hattons 66 if the pre order prices are anything to go by.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 1

On 28/04/2020 at 00:58, GEARJAMMER said:

On 01/04/2020 at 20:08, 159220 said:

Sounds re-assuring to me! https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/main-forum/diesel-aa/class-59/project-managers-blog-aq/7345-class-59-re-tooled-bogies 

Andy Dapol | Dapol Digest: I don't have any direct experience with the model you mention, but we have tested our prototypes extensively and have not experienced any running issues attributable to the axle-box design. 

Dapol's axel boxes are a different design.