Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

Perhaps it's not the same factory - let's be fair, the detailing of the H66 is superb, so no issues if it is - but Dapol have been carefully reading the somewhat negative press, and as you say, amended accordingly - longer driveshafts, bigger AB holes, screw on / firmly mounted AB covers.

There is a lot of interesting detailing, typical of modern proprietary model locomotives.

Let's hope the build quality is as good as - or better than - the 68, which I find to be superb.

Al.

• Like 2

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 22:14, Black 5 Bear said:

Spoke to staff at the Dapol outlet in Chirk on Wednesday.

Apparently this loco is due within the next two months.

I feel a little bad over getting peoples hopes up. The above  information was received directly from Dapol at Chirk.

I can wait and what's more it gives me more time to budget/plan my pre-orders.

Mind you, I might have to purchase an Accurascale KUA in consolation lol.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Mind you, I might have to purchase an Accurascale KUA in consolation lol.

Nah you don't want them they look rubbish....

:diablo_mini:

Says the guy who has a pair on order and ordered 2 packs of PCAs today...

• Like 1

I want to do a renumber and rename of 59002, as Alan J Day is too late for my era.  It looks like a straightforward case of putting etched name and numberplates over the printed ones (all the nameplates appear to be the same shape, so hopefully even that will be easy).  Does anyone know of any livery variations on the Alan J Day version that might make this less straightforward?

Haven't Dapol revised the Yeoman model to offer 005 instead? The NRN roof pods are different on 005 to 001-4, and the tooling they have so far only covers the later position, suitable for 59005, the /1s and /2s

Jo

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Haven't Dapol revised the Yeoman model to offer 005 instead? The NRN roof pods are different on 005 to 001-4, and the tooling they have so far only covers the later position, suitable for 59005, the /1s and /2s

Jo

Other stuff too like the side the exhaust port is on, 59001-4 have it on the opposite side to the rest

I just hope given the longer development period its a model worth the wait

On 26/06/2020 at 09:25, TomScrut said:

That's the impression I got from the pic somebody posted a few pages back, it looked like they were masking the blue to just do the orange over the ends.

It does look good IMO

I can certainly confirm that the blue is the original. The orange bands and cab end's have been repainted though. Photos of it here on Carl Watson's page. 

http://www.carlswatson.com/Trains/Galleries 2020/G202005/20200515ArlingtonEastleighWorks/eastleighworks15thmay20207.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LaGrange said:

Other stuff too like the side the exhaust port is on, 59001-4 have it on the opposite side to the rest

As built yes. All now exit on the same side (away from the clean air grill). I believe this was altered in the 90s. 

The silencer is presumably a drop in part (like on their N scale 66), so easy to tool both options

Jo

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, LaGrange said:

If its had the same treatment as the 68’s I think your good...

They even tooled different grab handles on the cab fronts... the only difference being one has 2 screws (top and bottom), where as the other had 6 screws.. three top and bottom... thats a 1mm feature difference on an otherwise mundane “handle”.

• Agree 2

On 27/06/2020 at 11:19, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Heres a great bit video of 59003 at 5 doing what they do best with 4800 ton on her back,not my video so give it a like and theres loads of good railway stuff on his channel

Are there 2 different types of wagon at the front of the rake being pulled behind the 59? Some look to have an extra bit around the top.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes they are a jumble of anything goes today aswell,the taller newer sqare boxes and the shallow JUA that Accurascale are bringing out are the old ore hoppers ,about three back i think and five to seven back,the next clip has some ARC ones but they would not have there 59,s then.

@bartram108

Edited by ERIC ALLTORQUE
  • Like 1

The taller box wagons are PHA's (still in use but now coded JYA's), which are available as a kit by S-kits. Like Eric has said, the smaller ones are the JUA/PTA ex tippler wagons which Accurascale are bringing out. The hoppers are JHA's which Dapol are bringing out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, daz9284 said:

Charlie, is this the same sound file that you sell on your website?

regards

darryl

Yes its Brand New.   All we have to do when the 59 comes out is tweek it, its been tested with other Dapol Locos with the same motors so sould be fine, plus we have written into it the 'Smoke Option'

Charlie

Before you ask, an 8Pin version for the Hornby version is done too.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

31 minutes ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Has anyone got or seen a video of a loco fitted with the type of smoke generator the Dapol 59 will have? Curious as to how it will look and the effect it will have?

We don't even know what type of smoke generator is being fitted. So I doubt anyone (apart from Dapol staff) will know what smoke generator will be used leave alone what it will look like.

8 hours ago, charliepetty said:

Yes its Brand New.   All we have to do when the 59 comes out is tweek it, its been tested with other Dapol Locos with the same motors so sould be fine, plus we have written into it the 'Smoke Option'

Charlie

Before you ask, an 8Pin version for the Hornby version is done too.

cheers.

I bought the class 59 sound file from you last year with the iphone speaker. will this need to be updated to the latest version when the 59 comes out? is it biffs sound that is in the factory fitted sound 59?

cheers

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Has anyone got or seen a video of a loco fitted with the type of smoke generator the Dapol 59 will have? Curious as to how it will look and the effect it will have?

I hope it’s better than this £400 HO version, zoom to 4minutes into avoid the excitement of unboxing.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I was going to say the same sort of thing.

Don't generally see exhaust fumes apart from clag when cold, or it'll start when the engine's revved up.

Ticking over / lower revs, once warmed up, there's little to be seen.

Al.