Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

Hi Simon,

I never saw a 59 on the tipplers in VTG livery. I think this is because the tipplers were primarily used for spot hires on non-stone purposes. Take a look at my album on Flickr for shots of the VTG wagons with DBS 66. These wagons were being used on Crossrail spoil trains at the time so 66s were order of the day.

So if you are after a loco to go with your VTG tipplers circa 2013, go for a DBS red 66.

Guy

JUA

This shot was taken a week earlier in the same location. It's a DBS 59 but on Mendip Stone (so not the VTG tipplers but proof that they DBS red 59s did exist at the same time as them):

59205 on Hither Green to Whatley empties at Kensington Olympia

Guy

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The DB 59/2’s are still running on Revolutions JNAs to the South Coast, though today the DB logo is painted out.

so as Lynuex say, DB red 66, but you could stick with a red 59/2 and ignore the difference or buy Revolution jna’s.

55 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

The DB 59/2’s are still running on Revolutions JNAs to the South Coast, though today the DB logo is painted out.

Yes, although whilst maybe not relevant to the OP, the red one Dapol are doing is now orange meaning anyone wanting something present day would need to renumber and remove the DB logo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Yes, although whilst maybe not relevant to the OP, the red one Dapol are doing is now orange meaning anyone wanting something present day would need to renumber and remove the DB logo.

I’m hoping Dapol notice that before release too.

206 seems to live in my “hood”.. that or Merehead dont have sunglasses and banished it from their midst.

We have 59003 in the area too, on training runs.. I am wondering if its moving our way, as its not as if Tonbridge is short of GBRF locos or crew with route knowledge to Ashford.

Edited by adb968008

4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I have however found this from early last year, not DB but it's interesting that it would seem some were still operating last year:

66550 Scunthorpe Steelworks

Clicking it takes you to the Flickr page which has more info.

I think they're the Scunthorpe PTAs rather than the accurascale type that have all been withdrawn.

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Railfreight1998 said:

I think they're the Scunthorpe PTAs rather than the accurascale type that have all been withdrawn.

Oh aye, the ends are different aren't they zooming in. Apologies for posting it I thought they were the same

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I’m hoping Dapol notice that before release too.

That none of their releases are out in the wild? I'm hoping they do an orange/yellow one or the orange/blue one.

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Which is my preference, I prefer the look of the /0s due to the lights being different to a 66 (despite this one having a high level light) and I seem to be a sucker for GBRF coloured stuff.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 2

The first Yeoman 59 to get revised livery was either 59005 or 59001 in 1998, both were in it at  the Merehead 1998 open day.

The grey VTG tipplers weren't on Mendip traffic, they were in London area aggregate workings for other customers, going places such as Angerstein, Cliffe, Stewart's Lane and Woking. Possibly Days was the customer (who also received Mendip traffic, but always in Mendip wagons).

Jo

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/01/2021 at 07:41, TomScrut said:

I have however found this from early last year, not DB but it's interesting that it would seem some were still operating last year:

66550 Scunthorpe Steelworks

Clicking it takes you to the Flickr page which has more info.

Thats a fascinatingly depressing looking picture.

I love it.

Reminds me of Volklingen in Germany.. close to the home of Villeroy and Boch.. if you showed your Mrs’s what the place looked like, she’d close the website immediately and you could save yourself a fortune in expensive pots !

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I obviously got my dates mixed up, I was under the impression that the tipplers were withdrawn in the mid 2000’s rather than the mid 2010’s!

I’m not bothered by the fact that 59s didn’t haul the tipplers in grey in reality, however I would be bothered if it was completely impossible, i.e. if the tipplers had been withdrawn before the 59s went into red.

I’ll keep my order for a DB 59 then.

Simon

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, bazjones1711 said:

They had an EP sample back in 2016 , five years later .... we'll make some revisions , delayed again no doubt , just makes you think what have they been doing in those interim years ? 

Hopefully lots behind the scenes, we had no progress with the manor and then they suddenly have samples. The last samples we had were in 2018 and we haven’t seen anything since. Hopefully the long gestation means a superb model. I’m interested to see how they do the rotating axle boxes.

• Agree 1

To be fair they are a small company - compared to Hornby is like BT with GiffGaff.

However they have made some amazing models, such as the MRA tippler

and of course they have to be very careful the 59 will be welcomed by modellers to be a financial success

All this with Covid going on 

I can wait!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I saw painted EPs at Warley in 2018.

At the time they were 1 more paint EP from production in mid2019.

They were not present at Warley in 2019, and questions were quietly brushed as side.

In June 2020 orders were opened for smoke fitted examples.

A suggested delivery date of Q2 2021 mentioned.

Given the absence of news, I assume Q2 2021 it is... however I really do hope theyve had a new paint EP on the NP and ARC ones in the mean time, NP was nearly Purple, Although I liked the ARC one, some felt it too yellow, though comparing pictures I think its not too far from AS’s recent ARCs.

A new painted EP would be welcome.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I saw painted EPs at Warley in 2018.

At the time they were 1 more paint EP from production in mid2019.

They were not present at Warley in 2019, and questions were quietly brushed as side.

In June 2020 orders were opened for smoke fitted examples.

A suggested delivery date of Q2 2021 mentioned.

Given the absence of news, I assume Q2 2021 it is... however I really do hope theyve had a new paint EP on the NP and ARC ones in the mean time, NP was nearly Purple, Although I liked the ARC one, some felt it too yellow, though comparing pictures I think its not too far from AS’s recent ARCs.

A new painted EP would be welcome.

I’ll be interested to see what the smoke looks like ,

as has been said , it doesn’t appear smoke ( like water ) “ scales “, and I’ve got to say most of the O gauge stuff with it , looks like the engine is having a fag .

• Agree 2

I don't know how the industry works but my guess is you have to bid for a production slot; perhaps Dapol may want to wait it out for a more affordable production slot and use any extra time to refine and test the loco more. They really don't want a repeat of what happened with the first batch of the Class 73 for example.

If I was Dapol I would also be nervous of Hornby going against me with an updated Class 59 with lighting and TTS sound - which is a very real risk. 

I would be keeping my cards very close to my chest with regard delivery times - I guess they may suddenly appear with very little notice.

In the end if they can't make this model profitable - they will shelve it in favour of other models - that may already be happening

8 hours ago, letterspider said:

If I was Dapol I would also be nervous of Hornby going against me with an updated Class 59 with lighting and TTS sound - which is a very real risk. 

I would be keeping my cards very close to my chest with regard delivery times - I guess they may suddenly appear with very little notice.

In the end if they can't make this model profitable - they will shelve it in favour of other models - that may already be happening

In reverse order, given that they are far along into tooling having had EP samples on display they are at this point committed to releasing it - far too much money spent to shelve it.

But at a guess you are likely close with your first comment, but just not about the Class 59 - Dapol has faced competition on a bunch of projects - the 3 GWR steam locos, the Terrier (for Rails of Sheffield) which has likely forced a juggling of priorities with the 59 being the project to be delayed while something more urgent was dealt with.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, letterspider said:

I don't know how the industry works but my guess is you have to bid for a production slot; perhaps Dapol may want to wait it out for a more affordable production slot and use any extra time to refine and test the loco more. They really don't want a repeat of what happened with the first batch of the Class 73 for example.

It’s lucky you are not Dapol then, I wouldn’t be nervous about an ancient ex Lima tooling with or without lights and TTS. I’d be getting ready to anhillate it .

• Agree 6

11 hours ago, letterspider said:

We have 3 class 66s producers

I know which one I wouldn't buy

and yet it flies off the shelves..

I expect our thoughts are aligned on this one. I have all 3, multiples of two and a one off of the one I won't have any more. A certain limited edition of 3500!