Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

4 hours ago, Markwj said:

I thought that sparked a memory too but looking on the Dapol site I can’t find it unless it’s dcc supplies site?

Was meant to be model rail, many years ago. Lets get the initial model to market first, fed up waiting now - The real ones took less time to be ordered, designed and built.....

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Markwj said:

I thought that sparked a memory too but looking on the Dapol site I can’t find it unless it’s dcc supplies site?

this is the page you're after, from this page https://www.Dapol.co.uk/shop/preorder/OO-Gauge-Preorder/Class_59_Preorder :

GBRF Class 59 59003 Yeoman Highlander has successfully been recorded by Dapol’s Sound Engineer at Eastleigh on the 17th January 2019 ... We would like to take this opportunity to confirm that Dapol will model 59003 Yeoman Highlander the near future.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, adb968008 said:

when I saw 102 a few months back it sounded quite knackered, whether thats a temporary thing I dont know.

002 and 101 sound a bit rattly at low power, I believe it's something inside the silencer. Presumably loose but not a performance or safety concern.

Jo

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, adb968008 said:

003 sounds different to the rest.

when I saw 102 a few months back it sounded quite knackered, whether thats a temporary thing I dont know.

003 does make some interesting noises. Last time I seen it in Eastleigh yard shunting away it was popping good. 
I think it’s fair to say they’ve earned their keep all these years. Time for some much deserved TLC. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Looks good to have wagons to run with these now the Ever Given has been the green light,hope it spurs on the locomotive.

As long as potentially sitting in a hot container hasn't caused any problems

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Without sounding a bit pessimistic, are ever going to see this thing? If 2022 is the release date that’s 7 years! Even Bachmann can get models out quicker than that 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It certainly seems to be a large sum of money tied up in moulds for a long time with no return financially yet. 
I would imagine Dapol are as determined as anyone to get these to market. 

Edited by NIRCLASS80

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Wasn't this part of the delay to releasing the 59 after the problems encountered on the Hattons 66?

By all accounts, both models are produced at the same factory.

Widely speculated but never confirmed to the best of my knowledge.

• Agree 1

Just now, spamcan61 said:

Widely speculated but never confirmed to the best of my knowledge.

Strangely enough the Dapol outlet in Chirk were very cagey when I asked the question in relation to the manufacturer.

TBF, I know the Hattons models had its issues, but it is without doubt the finest 66 to date that anyone has marketed.

• Like 2

It’s curious how attitudes can change. Many years ago, I was sent a Hornby Class 59 by mistake. I was duly horrified by it and sent it back. I have long felt the biggest gap in diesels is a decent Class 59. By decent, I mean with all-wheel pick up, all wheel drive, central motor with flywheels, lights and no rubber tyres. Rotating axleboxes were too much to hope for at the time, however distinctive they are on the real thing.

My grandson (now 7 years old) has developed an interest in railway modelling. (I plead guilty.) It turns out that Hornby’s Class 59 is just the thing for him. A big, nicely finished diesel which is relatively robust. For all of its shortcomings, it does perform well and is reasonably good looking. For him, it’s just the job which, after all, is what it’s intended for.

Meanwhile, ever-increasing numbers of Yeoman wagons on my layout impatiently await Dapol. Accurate or not, I’m greatly tempted to apply a little yellow paint on the nuts.

• Like 1

On 09/02/2021 at 22:53, bazjones1711 said:

Taken from the Dapol forum in 2017 !

Quote.

We are just refining the first EP so should have some new images to show in the next month or so. Decorations are about to start, so I would say (if pushed) release for the end of the year.

• Funny 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Chris56057 said:

Where are we up to with this model? Is it due to be released soon? 

Class 29..

From announcement on November 20th 2010 until release on  December 17th 2019..

3315 days or 9 years, 28 days.

Class 59..

From announcement on October 8th 2015 until today..

2150 days or 5 years, 10 months and 19 days.

59 is still a spring chicken.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Class 29..

From announcement on November 20th 2010 until release on  December 17th 2019..

3315 days or 9 years, 28 days.

Class 59..

From announcement on October 8th 2015 until today..

2150 days or 5 years, 10 months and 19 days.

59 is still a spring chicken.

The then current 59206 in DB is now in G&W as is 59203 and as of now 59202 is repainted at Toton as well so i hope they are revising the model liverys released,it should be groundbreaking the time its taken.

• Like 3