Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Id rather Accurascale upscaled their rather brilliant looking N gauge version to 00 gauge to be honest, fed up with waiting for Dapol.

Do you mean Revolution Trains?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Id rather Accurascale upscaled their rather brilliant looking N gauge version to 00 gauge to be honest, fed up with waiting for Dapol.

And the livery choice is a lot better from Revolution too, including 59003 being exclusive to Rails IIRC

I do also find it a bit odd they aren't doing 59003 as isn't it about the only one that isn't stuck in the south west pretty much all the time since they got taken off power station duties?

(other than when the FL ones go up to Leeds I suppose)

Edited by TomScrut

Dapol are a smaller company and have had to contend with increased labour costs in China, then Brexit and Covid and they also had a bad time with the livery and PCB of the Class 73 (which otherwise could have been highly celebrated as a model)

On top of that they have a potential danger that Hornby could retool their 59

That is a LOT of risk

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread...

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, letterspider said:

Dapol are a smaller company and have had to contend with increased labour costs in China, then Brexit and Covid and they also had a bad time with the livery and PCB of the Class 73 (which otherwise could have been highly celebrated as a model)

That is a LOT of risk

Yes, but with respect to all of those points (other than the livery one), speed to market would have helped in every way IMO.

I arent suggesting they have been slow peddling it (they may have though if other projects were taking priority) but announcing something and then spending ages developing it is asking for competition (in terms of a reaction from anyone whos feet may be getting stood on), and announcing prices way in advance of manufacture is also asking for trouble especially if they are trying to avoid putting the price up. Maybe in the future taking the Bachmann approach (like the new 47 being announced when it was on the boat) would be better?

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 2

When I spoke with Dapol staff at Alexandra Palace in 2019 - they had decorated samples and I held them - but they rightly wanted to correct the livery. At that point in time they were 6 months from a production run and I am sure that they are probably more frustrated than their customers at not being able to have brought them to market quickly.

The problem for me with the Bachmann approach is .... well nearly £500 for a BEP...what can I say?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/08/2021 at 13:12, letterspider said:

That is a LOT of risk

Well that argument would hold water if other smaller suppliers (retailers) took as long. But some of the retailers appear to be able to get their locos out much quicker than the time it takes Dapol. I can see another manufacturer running with this and would not be in the least bit surprised if there was an announcement from another source.

• Agree 3

On 27/08/2021 at 20:58, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

i hope they are revising the model liverys released,it should be groundbreaking the time its taken.

Hi,

I know it is off topic, but, I don't understand this sort of comment, why should a model manufacturer change what they make simply because the prototype they are modelling is now in a different livery? The model will not be 'wrong' as they have said they are producing a model in a livery to represent a certain time period.

I can understand people wanting the livery of today, but to demand a manufacturer (not say that this comment is demanding, but other comments I have seen on other threads are) to change stuff in real time is little bit silly.

I have given up hope on the Dapol 59 appearing, I've now cancelled my order and purchased a cheap Hornby Sound 60 instead.

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

1 hour ago, St. Simon said:

I know it is off topic, but, I don't understand this sort of comment, why should a model manufacturer change what they make simply because the prototype they are modelling is now in a different livery? The model will not be 'wrong' as they have said they are producing a model in a livery to represent a certain time period.

I think possibly doing one that is currently on the network as it is would be a good idea, but probably as an addition rather than in lieu of another.

There does seem to be quite a lot of people, myself included, who are interested in things in a near present state. It is their decision if they want to tap into that market or not, but what they are releasing at the moment is of no use to me.

In fairness though, Dapol are good at rerunning stuff, I think there are probably more 68s done than haven't been done now?

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 3

On 28/08/2021 at 13:21, TomScrut said:

Maybe in the future taking the Bachmann approach (like the new 47 being announced when it was on the boat) would be better?

The trouble with this approach is that Dapol would not then have received relevant feedback regarding the several inaccuracies that appeared on the earlier pre-production examples...   :rolleyes:

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, YesTor said:

The trouble with this approach is that Dapol would not then have received relevant feedback regarding the several inaccuracies that appeared on the earlier pre-production examples...   :rolleyes:

Yes, I suppose there is that if it is required!

• RMweb Gold
On 27/08/2021 at 20:58, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

The then current 59206 in DB is now in G&W as is 59203 and as of now 59202 is repainted at Toton as well so i hope they are revising the model liverys released,it should be groundbreaking the time its taken.

On 31/08/2021 at 14:30, St. Simon said:

Its a fashion thing, who wants last years fashion ?

If you look at ebay, in post 1994, a lot of whats in the bargain bins are liveries which are modern liveries no longer with us.. Centro, Wessex, One etc.., even Virgin is fading from memory.

The trick I think missed (or maybe not and are to surprise us), is doubling down the order and producing some additional liveries at the same time.. GBRF 003, Hanson, G&W, AI would probably all do well, with MRL, Revised FY, Revised ARC and Logo-less DB Red less so. I’d imagine EWS 59/2 would do ok, its old but has a following… then theres 59003 in Blue/Red that gives 14 liveries for 15 locos…plus variants & alternative numbers..

Dapol are not short of options and going off the cl 52, 68, 73 Dapol have form for milking it.. so 4 doesnt seem a big start, and the longer gaps we are seeing between runs due to “insert todays inflationary reason for delay”, could mean empty shelves for a while. Tooling costs money and the first EPs are 4 years old.. so hard money has been sunk without a return so far.

anyways Hattons says Jan 2022..

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=308

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Its a fashion thing, who wants last years fashion ?

If you look at ebay, in post 1994, a lot of whats in the bargain bins are liveries which are modern liveries no longer with us.. Centro, Wessex, One etc.., even Virgin is fading from memory.

The trick I think missed (or maybe not and are to surprise us), is doubling down the order and producing some additional liveries at the same time.. GBRF 003, Hanson, G&W, AI would probably all do well, with MRL, Revised FY, Revised ARC and Logo-less DB Red less so. I’d imagine EWS 59/2 would do ok, its old but has a following… then theres 59003 in Blue/Red that gives 14 liveries for 15 locos…plus variants & alternative numbers..

Dapol are not short of options and going off the cl 52, 68, 73 Dapol have form for milking it.. so 4 doesnt seem a big start, and the longer gaps we are seeing between runs due to “insert todays inflationary reason for delay”, could mean empty shelves for a while. Tooling costs money and the first EPs are 4 years old.. so hard money has been sunk without a return so far.

anyways Hattons says Jan 2022..

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=308

That is true, I think the main concern is that we actually haven’t seen the 59 since some battered samples in 2018. There were a few issues spotted and it is not known if they have been addressed. There’s also the question of rotating axle boxes, I hope this long gestation has provided ample testing time. Now with many of the wagons they have pulled out already, we are waiting on it. I hope it’s worth the long wait and that not all the development has gone into some pointless smoke machine.

• Like 1

Hopefully the Class 59 will come fault free, fingers crossed, their is no reason why the issues identified by people on here and on their own forum should be addressed with modifications to the tooling during the colour migration period.

We all know how well the 68 runs so should be no questions on running qualities.

Personally I'd like an Aggregates one but I know the Bachmann Class 66 66711 in the same livery suffered from poor sales and hung around shop shelves for ages.

The same could be said for the Hattons G&W liveried Class 66, but possibly due to the colour issue.

But hopefully in the next batch, should the first be sucessful, a 59203 / 6 in G&W and a 59'0 in Aggregates would go nicely with my new Dapol hoppers !

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:

Personally I'd like an Aggregates one but I know the Bachmann Class 66 66711 in the same livery suffered from poor sales and hung around shop shelves for ages.

I think it is odd that it did, although celeb liveries probably fare better as limited editions than main runs simply because market appeal is more limited given the lack of renumbering potential.

It is one of the worse GBRF celeb liveries IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I think it is odd that it did, although celeb liveries probably fare better as limited editions than main runs simply because market appeal is more limited given the lack of renumbering potential.

It is one of the worse GBRF celeb liveries IMO.

So no Aggregates 59 for you then Tom...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

The AI class 66 is an odd one, especially as it would rarely be seen on a Mendips South London Aggregates.

But if your modelling a modern stone train which runs over a dozen moves a day between Acton and Purley, Ardingley, Crawley, Newhaven, Tolworth etc etc an AI 59 is your job…, plus they regularly double head the UK’s heaviest daily working into west london.

22 hours ago, adb968008 said:

The AI class 66 is an odd one, especially as it would rarely be seen on a Mendips South London Aggregates.

I was relating to the Aggregates livery more so the Class 66 itself, I don't think GB work stone trains in that area do they, mainly Freightliner  ?