Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

I shall further St Simon.

I was told at Ally Pally, the bogies and sand box tooling has ben adjusted. Livery samples are being prepared, with the adjusted tooling in one go. Expected in Dec/Jan, before CNY 2019.

If the class 59 is of the standard of the class 68, I am very excited!

The 4 class 68 locos I have are absolutely top drawer, well done Dapol!

I have already ordered the new GBRf box wagons and two 59s - one in National Power which I thought was an awesome livery so hope we have wagons to match!!

John

If the class 59 is of the standard of the class 68, I am very excited!

The 4 class 68 locos I have are absolutely top drawer, well done Dapol!

I have already ordered the new GBRf box wagons and two 59s - one in National Power which I thought was an awesome livery so hope we have wagons to match!!

John

Yes, all models henceforth from Dapol will follow the same design and operational specs as the Class 68 (in both scales)

Just read the Dapol Digest release for the wagons and it said the release will coincide with the locomotives so hopefully at the end of the year in line with what 159220 said.. ..

There's nothing official on the Dapol Digest I can see, only some speculation by another user.

I'm in two minds, that'll be an awful lot of money to come out of my account!

Simon

only some speculation by another user.

I entrust you are not referring to me speculating? My information posted above came directly from a Dapol staff member at Ally Pally. Naturally names and further details shall not be shared by myself on a public forum.

As for the O&K JHAs and 59 being released at the same time, this is very much dependent on whether Dapol are using the same factory and are confident the livery samples of the 59 shall lead to production efficiently. Same with the EP and livery samples of the wagon. Seeing as the O&K JHAs are due Oct-Dec 2018 and 59 Dec 2018/Jan 2019 they are already not really “the same time”. I only write what I know, and never say what I don’t, in good faith of those who inform me, are themselves informed.

Edited by 159220

I entrust you are not referring to me speculating? My information posted above came directly from a Dapol staff member at Ally Pally. Naturally names and further details shall not be shared by myself on a public forum.

No, not at all, I was referring to a user on the Dapol Digest, I hadn't picked up on the dates in your post though, so I might be confused!

Simon

No, not at all, I was referring to a user on the Dapol Digest, I hadn't picked up on the dates in your post though, so I might be confused!

Simon

Just to clarify this was posted by Andy (Dapol Administrator)

“Announcing the JHA (O&K) version

1 week ago

We're please to say that we have started work on this model, which is intended for sale to coincide with that of our class 59 in OO.”

Just to clarify this was posted by Andy (Dapol Administrator)

“Announcing the JHA (O&K) version

1 week ago

We're please to say that we have started work on this model, which is intended for sale to coincide with that of our class 59 in OO.”

Ah, I see, I totally missed that, I stand corrected.

Simon

• 1 month later...

Evening,

Had a little look at the forth coming Class 59 at the DEMU show this weekend. Looks like it's shaping up to be a great model. They had recently arrived (pre-production I think? Not 100% on what he said it was, sorry!) model. Believe it was on a running chassis but was devoid of all the lighting circuitry and the smoke unit. Was a surprisingly heavy model, which is probably just as well if it's to pull 40+ JHA's!

It was hoped that fully decorated livery samples would be available for Warley this year. Another (possible) bogie wagon is being mooted to complement it, but not until the JHA's have been prodcued and sold. Whatever it would be is likely to be 18 months to two years away.

Attached are a few pictures:

post-7258-0-62199900-1528141149_thumb.jpg

post-7258-0-56499400-1528141155_thumb.jpg

Andy.

• Like 6

that's a real shame as that is another manufacturer to release the NP 59 with no rolling stock for it.

Another (possible) bogie wagon is being mooted to complement it, but not until the JHA's have been prodcued and sold. Whatever it would be is likely to be 18 months to two years away.

Andy.

Evening,

Had a little look at the forth coming Class 59 at the DEMU show this weekend. Looks like it's shaping up to be a great model. They had recently arrived (pre-production I think? Not 100% on what he said it was, sorry!) model. Believe it was on a running chassis but was devoid of all the lighting circuitry and the smoke unit. Was a surprisingly heavy model, which is probably just as well if it's to pull 40+ JHA's!

It was hoped that fully decorated livery samples would be available for Warley this year. Another (possible) bogie wagon is being mooted to complement it, but not until the JHA's have been prodcued and sold. Whatever it would be is likely to be 18 months to two years away.

Dapol 59 - 1.JPG

Dapol 59 - 2.JPG

Andy.

Hopefully it will be of a high standard and level of detail along the lines of Hatton's Class 66.

Hmmmm, in terms of proposed detail I'm not so sure it comes anywhere close to the proposed Hatton's 66?  I can't see etched grilles for one, and I also see that Dapol have disappointingly opted for the clip-on bufferbeam valance (as opposed to coming up with a new solution such as the slot of the Hatton's 'shed').  And although it's just a hunch, there is something about the bogies of the 59 in that I still don't think they have a substantial enough appearance about them, meaning the whole thing doesn't look as though it sits quite right - I can't quite put my finger on it, but somehow it just doesn't look right.

Having viewed the 3D mock-up of Hatton's 66 close-up, and so too Dapol's 59 and I cannot help but feel that the latter looks somewhat sparse by comparison.  Overall, to my eye at least, the Hatton's 66 appears innovative/potentially groundbreaking, whereas with the Dapol 59 seems to borrow more from Bachy's 'shed' rather than innovate.  So sadly I am yet to be convinced.  Still, I'm prepared to be pleasantly mistaken/surprised...

Edited by YesTor

Evening,

attachicon.gifDapol 59 - 1.JPG

attachicon.gifDapol 59 - 2.JPG

Andy.

This is shaping up to be quite a lovely model. And whilst detail wise it may be a notch lower than the proposed Hatton's Class 66, I still think this will be a stunning model. Can't wait for some more images to appear (hopefully with a white background).

I was told by Dapol it would be out

In jan or feb next year

Yes, pretty much what I was told.

Hmmmm, in terms of proposed detail I'm not so sure it comes anywhere close to the proposed Hatton's 66?  I can't see etched grilles for one, and I also see that Dapol have disappointingly opted for the clip-on bufferbeam valance (as opposed to coming up with a new solution such as the slot of the Hatton's 'shed').  And although it's just a hunch, there is something about the bogies of the 59 in that I still don't think they have a substantial enough appearance about them, meaning the whole thing doesn't look as though it sits quite right - I can't quite put my finger on it, but somehow it just doesn't look right.

Having viewed the 3D mock-up of Hatton's 66 close-up, and so too Dapol's 59 and I cannot help but feel that the latter looks somewhat sparse by comparison.  Overall, to my eye at least, the Hatton's 66 appears innovative/potentially groundbreaking, whereas with the Dapol 59 seems to borrow more from Bachy's 'shed' rather than innovate.  So sadly I am yet to be convinced.  Still, I'm prepared to be pleasantly mistaken/surprised...

Didn't ask about the front end/valance area, so can't say how it's supposed to be. I think me saying that was pre-production may have been the wrong wording, perhaps more of an engineering sample? Not sure.

The bogies did seem nicely detailed, but one thing I did notice was that the brake shoes aren't inline with the wheels. I don't think that helps in portraying how substantial they are. Hattons 66 will have the edge over it I think, but the 59 will still be a good model, to me at least.

Andy.

I can't see etched grilles for one.

Having viewed the 3D mock-up of Hatton's 66 close-up, and so too Dapol's 59.

I do just want to make a minor point or two if I may. Your last comment, as disappointing as it is, I would of suspected the very nature of a 3D print and a Engineering Prototype is enough indication to highlight their very different natures. A 3D print shall be showing every detail on a CAD, a EP (and 1st Shot) is showing one particular tooling suite - and as can be seen, the latter is without detail attached. Whereas the former has 'everything' printed. 

Now the first comment, etched grills.... Well, technically the cooler group is an air filter mesh rather than a grill. I attach an image of the Hattons 66 CAD and an actual cooler group air filter. It is beyond doubt that Hatton's etch is grossly overscale. I am reliably informed that the filter holes on the mesh is only 1/4". This is far beyond the abilities of an etch to go. Thus the class 59, if you look close (I have not, but have seen previous first shots and it is very convincing), accounts for these small mesh holes in the air filter far more in honour of the prototype. 

Etch has its place, yet certainly not on the air cooler filters on a 59/66. You only have to turn to Hornby to see the superb application of plastic injection over etching on the class 800/0 to see etching in todays tooling technology is just not required. 

post-22366-0-93934600-1528241862_thumb.jpg

Taken from here: https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/main-forum/diesel-aa/class-59/project-managers-blog-aq/2045-oo-class-59-e-p 

post-22366-0-37580700-1528241855_thumb.jpg

Taken from here: http://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/mediaimages/H4-66coolergroupdetail.JPG 

Check out previous photos of the 3D prints, 1st Shots and EPs of the class 68 and then see the final production model. Then you know, the class 59 shall be as equally brilliant. 

As I always say, no point complaining or moaning on here. When all manufacturers are open to expert knowledge from RMWebbers, who have an eye for excruciating detail. I am proudly one of them! Why not drop Dapol an email with your other thoughts? It might help us all get a super model!?

• Like 2

Artwork for the Dapol OO gauge Class 59 and an image of the bogies.

post-27484-0-98336300-1528595094_thumb.jpg

post-27484-0-38675300-1528595157_thumb.jpg

If anyone finds any issues with the artwork please contact Dapol and inform them. The best ways to get in touch with them is via Facebook of the Dapol Digest.

NOTE: The artwork doesn't depict the colours accurately. Often colours in the artwork are changed slightly so that detail in the drawings can be seen.
      Eg: The chassis, bogies and fuel tanks of the DB Schenker and Yeoman Class 59s are shown in grey but they will obviously be black.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 4

Isn’t the lamp iron/bracket on the wrong side? It wouldn’t be the first time Dapol have put the lamp brackets on the wrong side/end (Freightliner MJA’s come to mind)

post-27853-0-82244000-1528659221_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Shoey

Now the first comment, etched grills.... Well, technically the cooler group is an air filter mesh rather than a grill. I attach an image of the Hattons 66 CAD and an actual cooler group air filter. It is beyond doubt that Hatton's etch is grossly overscale. I am reliably informed that the filter holes on the mesh is only 1/4". This is far beyond the abilities of an etch to go. Thus the class 59, if you look close (I have not, but have seen previous first shots and it is very convincing), accounts for these small mesh holes in the air filter far more in honour of the prototype. 

Etch has its place, yet certainly not on the air cooler filters on a 59/66. You only have to turn to Hornby to see the superb application of plastic injection over etching on the class 800/0 to see etching in todays tooling technology is just not required.

I don't want to repeat my earlier post, as I replied to this point that you made on the Hatton's 66 topic, so I'll keep this fairly brief...

I think that virtually any etched grill on any model is going to be compromised to some degree for the reasons you highlight.  That said, even with a very finely moulded grill/mesh there will still be the compromise of not being able to see through the sides of the body, which to my eye is quite a distinctive feature of the prototype...  (see pics posted on Hatton's 66 topic)

Good examples to compare etched grilles might be the Hornby Class 60 and Heljan Class 33/0.  Both feature what might be regarded as overscale grills, however Hornby's 60 always appears most acceptable (and a worthwhile compromise in view of the visible interior engine room detail - a feature which in itself arguably sets the model above many others), whereas Heljan's recent 33/0 retool has absolutely no fidelity whatsoever and the overall effect really is pretty awful. 

So in short, I believe that both moulded and etched grills both have their place, but I figure it's a case of deciding which is perhaps best in each individual case; and in either instance for both etched and moulded, it really depends upon how well either are executed on the final model.

Edited by YesTor

It's worth bearing in mind on a 59 or a 66 you can only see through the grills when the loco is hot.

Behind the mesh is a walkway, behind that are some movable slats that open and close as needed.

post-6899-0-34704900-1528705730_thumb.jpg

They're not like a class 60 where you can always seen though from one side to the other

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 2