Can you identify these locations?

RRU

An ex work colleague has given me five CD`s of photographs he took in the 60`s. None of them has any info attached but I can identify some of them, but most are a mystery to me.

So can anyone shed any light on the others.

I will post them four at a time.

post-24330-0-49809100-1444398214.jpg

post-24330-0-47527400-1444398267.jpg

post-24330-0-19772000-1444398287.jpg

post-24330-0-80178900-1444398322.jpg

It is indeed 2947 and was taken between 1962 (Brush 4 - Class 47 - in background) and May 1965 when the top lamp iron was lowered. She was at Gorton then Heaton Mersey, but both in 1965. She was at Rugby between November 63 to December 1964, having come from Crewe South where she was from 29 June 1963, and Nuneaton where she was shedded from from 23 June 1962.

I too would like more info on this photo.

Edit: Sorry, slip of the finger: the lamp iron was lowered in May 1964.

It is indeed 2947 and was taken between 1962 (Brush 4 - Class 47 - in background) and May 1965 when the top lamp iron was lowered. She was at Gorton then Heaton Mersey, but both in 1965. She was at Rugby between November 63 to December 1964, having come from Crewe South where she was from 29 June 1963, and Nuneaton where she was shedded from from 23 June 1962.

I too would like more info on this ph

A wealth of info there. Thank you.

Photo`s 2 and 3 seem to be at the same place.

Peter

D1506 class 47 47407 was based at Immingham, Finsbury Park, and Haymarket.

Looks like the same loco in 2&3 as said above.

I think that the headcode 4S.5 means it's destination is in Scotland, so either about to go there, or not changed on arrival.

Also looks like 2 different phases of shed. Closest is at least 6 roads, furthest 3 plus going by its size. Sounds like a large shed/loco works.

Can't get any of the names mentioned so far to match any images on Google!!

Although I think I have seen something like it before.

The search continues!

D1506 class 47 47407 was based at Immingham, Finsbury Park, and Haymarket.

Looks like the same loco in 2&3 as said above.

I think that the headcode 4S.5 means it's destination is in Scotland, so either about to go there, or not changed on arrival.

Also looks like 2 different phases of shed. Closest is at least 6 roads, furthest 3 plus going by its size. Sounds like a large shed/loco works.

Can't get any of the names mentioned so far to match any images on Google!!

Although I think I have seen something like it before.

The search cont

Is the shed in the background in this photo the same one 42947 is outside?

post-24330-0-56032700-1444414574.jpg

Is the shed in the background in this photo the same one 42947 is outside?

Looks similar, and the coaling tower looks the same as photo 4, as does the building in front of that.

Can't find any images of old Immingham shed, but have seen that a new shed there was built in 1966.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immingham_engine_shed

Edit :- just found this link

https://www.hpacde.org.uk/picturethepast/jpgh_derbyshire/DCCD000420.jpg

If it's Immingham, it's the first sighting of any Stanier Crab at that location at any period. But while some of the class were allocated to Scotland up to 1935, there are absolutley no sightings of them north of the border after that date.

Two Stanier engines - behind is a Black Five - doesn't really suggest the North east.

If it's Immingham, it's the first sighting of any Stanier Crab at that location at any period.

Is it a scoop then?

I`ve solved the first one. It is Sowerby Bridge.

A lot of the photo`s are of this area since he lives in Elland on the Calder Valley line.

Found a picture which seems to match the roof profiles and chimneys etc.

New England Shed, Peterborough

http://returntograntham.co.uk/loco-department-staff/new-photographs-from-the-1960s-at-the-loco/

Near the bottom of the page.

Well done Shadow. That is it. Does that explain the presence of the exLMS engines?

Peter

York?

That was my initial thought but the platform numbering threw me.

I would have said this was platform 14 and what is on the far left in the first photo?

Peter

Well done Shadow. That is it. Does that explain the presence of the exLMS engines?

Peter

It certainly does! The Midland had a 'square' roundhouse at Peterborough (Spital Bridge) but this closed 1st February 1960 and the surviving LMR workings were serviced at New England. An excellent piece of detective work there!

By the way, RRU, is there any chance of a higher resolution copy of the shot of 2947? You could e-mail it to archivist@staniermogulfund.org.uk . Ta!

By the way, RRU, is there any chance of a higher resolution copy of the shot of 2947? You could e-mail it to archivist@staniermogulfund.org.uk . Ta!

I`m sorry, LMS2968, I cannot get any higher resolution. I am posting the images just as I received them. I would like a higher resolution to pick out details in the background.

Some photo`s are badly exposed and they were scanned by a friend of his in no particular order

Peter

Archived