Can you identify these locations?

RRU

Now for some shunters, or should I say ex shunters.

attachicon.gifB 245.jpgattachicon.gifB 248.jpgattachicon.gifB 250.jpgattachicon.gifD 727.jpgattachicon.gifD 731.jpgattachicon.gifD 733.jpg

Peter

just done a quick google for D2277 and found a pic of it in ipswich  http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p142024154/h194ADD2B#h194add2b

theres quiite a few photos of D2420 and all taken around aberdeen

the bottom two are definitely Middleton railway, LNER Sentinal No 54 and Hunslet "Courage"

First one is probably Eastleigh. 34047 looks like Bournemouth but I could be wrong and the following two are Worting junction.

I don't think 34047 is at Bournemouth, because that was a much more cramped site. I think it might be at Weymouth though.

Here is 34024 at Weymouth and I think 34047 is in the area visible behind the tender.

post-4474-0-35933500-1445185107_thumb.jpg

First one of D1916 is Cardiff Canton. This photo shows the shed but from the other end.

4367087606_2e16159773_b.jpgCardiff Canton and 1071 'Western Renown' from footbridge - 3rd August, 1974 by Arnie Furniss, on Flickr

The last photo is probably Carlisle Kingmoor.

I am going to disagree with the location of D1916, I too thought Canton at first but the road numbers are wrong.

I thought it might be the Bath Road Daily Shed seen from the back of the depot instead of the view from Temple Meads platform, but that is not right.

I now think it is Landore, see this view where the road numbers are visible

https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_walton_wanderer/8389765970/in/faves-72022549@N03/ 

There are a couple of oil drums standing in the same spot as the larger collection beside D1916

cheers

I am going to disagree with the location of D1916, I too thought Canton at first but the road numbers are wrong.

I thought it might be the Bath Road Daily Shed seen from the back of the depot instead of the view from Temple Meads platform, but that is not right.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_walton_wanderer/8389765970/in/faves-72022549@N03/ 

There are a couple of oil drums standing in the same spot as the larger collection beside D1916

cheers

Agreed; the view is from the corner of the shed used for heavy maintenance, looking towards Landore Viaduct. There's a light-grey rectangular 'slab' just to the right of the rear cab; it's the machine used (in principle) to wash the locos. In all the time I spent around there, I never saw it in use. The loco's a 'foreigner' from Cardiff.

cheers

I would say you have got that spot on.

There is a crossover visible behind D1916 which is also visible in your shot in the identical place. I will amend the caption.

Strange that D1916 has an almost identical head code as the Deltic which has been identified at Edinburgh Haymarket.

It`s a good job I did not use that to place them both at the same location!

Peter

The SR 2-6-0 is at Worting Junction, I think, and the Bulleid Pacific next to some water is at Bevois Park, just north-east of Southampton station.

Brian,

Don't think it's water, but just fields behind

Looks like Worting Junction, with the WC on the down Bournemouth line - note the 3rd rail isn't on the two middle tracks which would be the lines to/from Salisbury.

• RMweb Gold

I would say you have got that spot on.

There is a crossover visible behind D1916 which is also visible in your shot in the identical place. I will amend the caption.

Strange that D1916 has an almost identical head code as the Deltic which has been identified at Edinburgh Haymarket.

It`s a good job I did not use that to place them both at the same location!

Peter

Hi Peter

Suspect that's 1E27 on the deltic - probably for working a train from the Scottish to the Eastern region - and 1F10 on the Brush type 4, an internal WR train probably from Padd to ? Swansea

Cheers

Phil

This is not the Ironclad at KWVR or the one I saw at Carnforth mid 80`s.

attachicon.gifB 262.jpg

Peter

It is the one you saw at Carnforth in the 80's by then renumbered 1300.  The picture shows the loco in Fairclough's ownership numbered (incorrectly) as something like 1122 (he apparently liked the number but the real loco had been rebuilt with a Belpaire boiler).  It is pictured in the owner's builders yard which was on the site of the closed Adlington Great Bear station - cracking name - c. early 1960's. It is now owned by Andy Booth and based at the Ribble Steam Railway although it is often out 'on tour'

Cheers,

Ray.

Not Great Bear station, it was White Bear. I have an old small (off a gas or paraffin station lamp) black on yellow enamelled station name plate from this station, obtained by my dad a thousand (!) years ago.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/white_bear/

The ex L&Y loco was known back then as "Leonards Puffer" !

Brit15

Archived