Can you identify these locations?

RRU

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a big block of concrete in the back to give it some adhesion weight. If Bachmann can do a Wickham Trolley then I recon that should be possible for an industrial shunting tractor

It is; and propellers, undercarriage struts, pit props (Hydraulic roof supports) etc,. etc. although I suspect the company has been split up and sold to foreigners.

There is a man on this forum who still makes Dowty and oleo buffers who's Dad had pretty close links with Ashchurch works. Did you also convert the more modern Bedford seen here next to the test rig?

attachicon.gifDowtyTestRig3.jpg

There's a colour pic of the Bedford on this page;

http://www.tewkesburydirect.co.uk/times-gone-by/

Under "Dowty" right at the bottom of the page

P

Edited for spelling.

There are Bedford QL models in 1/76 available from both Oxford Diecast and Aifix that can be converted.

• RMweb Gold

Staying on the SVR theme, do you think this one was taken there ?

It is among the batch of photo`s taken there in earlier times.

attachicon.gifB 397.jpg

Peter

That's the north end of Hampton Loade - theres a 3 lever ground frame in the picture, was in use prior to the box being commissioned....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=608392799295404&set=p.608392799295404&type=1

Phil

• RMweb Premium

When I started work in Jan 62 there were 10 mills within a one mile radius of my home.  As you say, no-one travelled more than a couple of miles to work.

I notice in the photo of Lees, none of the chimneys are smoking.

Peter

Just waiting for Fred Dibnah to do his worst!

Keith

• RMweb Gold

A really poor exposure but can you recognize it ?

attachicon.gifB 793.jpg

Peter

It looks like Haworth on the Keighley and Worth Valley with the goods shed (used as a loco workshop) and its canopy behind the loco.

David

It looks like Haworth on the Keighley and Worth Valley with the goods shed (used as a loco workshop) and its canopy behind the loco.

David

I agree it does look like that location, however IIRC there were no WD 2-8-0s preserved until one was repatriated in the 1990s(?), these pics date from before that.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I agree it does look like that location, however IIRC there were no WD 2-8-0s preserved until one was repatriated in the 1990s(?), these pics date from before that.

Tony

The WD on the KWVR was imported a little bit before then.  1931, which came back from Sweden is listed in Steam 74, the ARPS yearbook as being at Haworth.

A few locos came back to Britain much earlier than is usually thought - and there are few sources except old ARPS yearbooks and preserved railway stockbooks to check the dates.

I took the photo in February 1973, before Harlaxton (seen on the left) left the KWVR to go to Sewstern.

post-5613-0-32185400-1446630392_thumb.jpg

Haworth WD ex SJ 1931 Feb 1973 C1208

David

The WD on the KWVR was imported a little bit before then.  1931, which came back from Sweden is listed in Steam 74, the ARPS yearbook as being at Haworth.

A few locos came back to Britain much earlier than is usually thought - and there are few sources except old ARPS yearbooks and preserved railway stockbooks to check the dates.

I took the photo in February 1973, before Harlaxton (seen on the left) left the KWVR to go to Sewstern.

attachicon.gifHaworth WD ex SJ 1931 Feb 1973 C1208.jpg

Haworth WD ex SJ 1931 Feb 1973 C1208

David

Thankyou David for your reply. I could not recognize the engine in my pic, yours makes it very clear where and what it is.

Peter

These pic`s appear to have been taken at the same place.

attachicon.gifL 471.jpgattachicon.gifL 472.jpg

attachicon.gifL 476.jpgattachicon.gifL 473.jpg

attachicon.gifL 474.jpg

Peter

Judging by the dates of the works visit for Bongrace and the entry into traffic of D6775, those photos (assuming they were taken in the same time period), would have a date of end Sep 1962.

68917 was taken into departmental service in Sep 62 and subsequently re-numbered 12, and 65567 had been withdrawn a month earlier.

Edited to add that, I'm guessing now; but if 65567 was in a line of end Aug withdrawals, the A3 behind it could be 60068 Sir Visto which was condemned on 27th Aug 1962 from Canal shed Carlisle, and that was the furthest south the loco was ever allocated in its 38 years.

Judging by the dates of the works visit for Bongrace and the entry into traffic of D6775, those photos (assuming they were taken in the same time period), would have a date of end Sep 1962.

68917 was taken into departmental service in Sep 62 and subsequently re-numbered 12, and 65567 had been withdrawn a month earlier.

Edited to add that, I'm guessing now; but if 65567 was in a line of end Aug withdrawals, the A3 behind it could be 60068 Sir Visto which was condemned on 27th Aug 1962 from Canal shed Carlisle, and that was the furthest south the loco was ever allocated in its 38 years.

You are spot on with the date, the rail tour to Doncaster and Darlington was on 29-9-62.

Peter

Archived