Can you identify these locations?

RRU

• RMweb Gold

And pretty sure 7100 is stabled at 85A Worcester -

http://www.miac.org.uk/images/worcester_25-9-1965.jpg

The hand rails and concrete wall either side of the ramp where the line to the coal sidings ran down are visible on the right with the goods (boiler washout) shed in the background

Cheers

Phil

Hee hee synchronous posting!

Even better when the answer is the same....

Phil

I think that the photo of 7808 Cookham Manor is at Dowty's in Ashchurch (6201's buffer beam is at the left). The one of 6697 could also be at Dowty's.  The Hall with the Hawksworth tender and spare 3500g. one has had its non-ferrous fittings and rods stripped so could be on the departure road at Barry.

Ray.

• RMweb Gold

9495 is at Old Oak, the three works pics in the same bunch are all A Shop at Swindon and as already 'agreed' I reckon 6921 is at Oxford.

On this page the Hymek and 2xD63XX are at Old Oak by the turntable, D836 is in front of the factory at Old Oak, the two 'Warships' and the boiler van are in front of the Pullman Shed at Old Oak, D1003, and D7022 etc are inside the Pullman Shed (witha  'Castle' in store with a bit of care.  I think 5084 and 6973 are also at Old Oak.

The pannier at top left might be at Oxford but I'm far from sure on that.

Not sure about the pannier either, haven't been to Old Oak since before the massive 'quad-turntable' building was demolished, but the building behind the diesels around the turntable looks familiar, the 'lodgings' I believe, the infamous 'hole in the wall' was somewhere behind D6336. And so that building was called the 'Pullman shed' - I never knew that - you live , and learn eh? But thanks for confirming what I thought :sungum: .

I can remember ( some) things 50 years ago - but 5 days ago, forget it.

• RMweb Gold

That`s another batch dealt with. Thanks chaps.

Now, anybody know what/where this is?

Peter

It may be at the Dowty Railway Preservation Society at Ashchurch.  The society was based at Dowty Sports and Social Society and catered for the railway enthusiast members of the sports and social society which was for the Dowty Group of engineering companies.  The society had the use of five sidings adjacent to one of the factory buildings at Ashchurch and was connected to the main line.  

post-5613-0-97346400-1444742012_thumb.jpg

Ashchurch Dowty Rly Pres Socy rail wheeled lorry April 72 C896

David

It may be at the Dowty Railway Preservation Society at Ashchurch.  The society was based at Dowty Sports and Social Society and catered for the railway enthusiast members of the sports and social society which was for the Dowty Group of engineering companies.  The society had the use of five sidings adjacent to one of the factory buildings at Ashchurch and was connected to the main line.  

attachicon.gifAshchurch Dowty Rly Pres Socy rail wheeled lorry April 72 C896.jpg

Ashchurch Dowty Rly Pres Socy rail wheeled lorry April 72 C896

David

The lorry looks as though it could be a Bedford QL. Presumably this was some sort of works shunter, perhaps used in conjunction with the testing of Dowty retarders?

The lorry looks as though it could be a Bedford QL. Presumably this was some sort of works shunter, perhaps used in conjunction with the testing of Dowty retarders?

Now you have mentioned it and having seen the colour photo from DaveF, you are right, it is an ex Army Bedford QL. Who do you think converted it?

Looking at the tyres it doesn`t get much use!

Is that the same company that makes Dowty washers?

Peter

post-24330-0-42334200-1444752398.jpeg

Looks like a big block of concrete in the back to give it some adhesion weight. If Bachmann can do a Wickham Trolley then I recon that should be possible for an industrial shunting tractor

Where do you put the motor?

Under the concrete?

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Not sure about the pannier either, haven't been to Old Oak since before the massive 'quad-turntable' building was demolished, but the building behind the diesels around the turntable looks familiar, the 'lodgings' I believe, the infamous 'hole in the wall' was somewhere behind D6336. And so that building was called the 'Pullman shed' - I never knew that - you live , and learn eh? But thanks for confirming what I thought :sungum: .

I can remember ( some) things 50 years ago - but 5 days ago, forget it.

That is indeed the hostel building - prior to its privatisation and major refurbishment in the late 1970s/early '80s.

From Sixbellsjunction - 61435 on Gresley Society brakevan tour in Doncaster area on 18 July 1964 with reporting number 1Z37. No details of route, but mention of a photograph at Stainforth, and "both entrances to Harworth Colliery".

From Sixbellsjunction - 61435 on Gresley Society brakevan tour in Doncaster area on 18 July 1964 with reporting number 1Z37. No details of route, but mention of a photograph at Stainforth, and "both entrances to Harworth Colliery".

Thanks pH. I looked on that site and did not spot it.

Now I have read the entry for this tour I see that the person supplying the info is the person who took all these photo`s.

Peter

Is that the same company that makes Dowty washers?

It is; and propellers, undercarriage struts, pit props (Hydraulic roof supports) etc,. etc. although I suspect the company has been split up and sold to foreigners.

There is a man on this forum who still makes Dowty and oleo buffers who's Dad had pretty close links with Ashchurch works. Did you also convert the more modern Bedford seen here next to the test rig?

post-508-0-02884600-1444816452.jpg

There's a colour pic of the Bedford on this page;

http://www.tewkesburydirect.co.uk/times-gone-by/

Under "Dowty" right at the bottom of the page

P

Edited for spelling.

It is; and propellers, undercarriage struts, pit props (Hydraulic roof supports) etc,. etc. although I suspect the company has been split up and sold to foreigners.

There is a man on this forum who still makes Dowry and oleo buffers who's Dad had pretty close links with Ashchurch works. Did you also convert the more modern Bedford seen here next to the test rig?

attachicon.gifDowtyTestRig3.jpg

There's a colour pic of the Bedford on this page;

http://www.tewkesburydirect.co.uk/times-gone-by/

Under "Dowty" right at the bottom of the page

P

Dowty were acquired by TI (formerly Tube Investments)in 1992. In 1993, the various electronics companies in the group were the subject of a management buy-out. The various aircraft components activities were bought out by a French firm, and now trade as 'Safran'

I wonder if the Bedfords were acquired from the nearby Army depot?

Looks a little bit like Guildford to me but the background isn't clear enough to be absolutely certain.  Doesn't look like Clapham Jcn.

I thought the footbridge looked like Clapham Junction.

Do these other pic`s help?

Peter

post-24330-0-00883500-1444821155.jpg

post-24330-0-08983000-1444821168.jpg

post-24330-0-34145500-1444821179.jpg

post-24330-0-76435300-1444821191.jpg

post-24330-0-94086900-1444821208.jpg

Looks a little bit like Guildford to me but the background isn't clear enough to be absolutely certain.  Doesn't look like Clapham Jcn.

I think you are right about Guildford Mike.

This view is from the footbridge looking back.

In the photo of 31639 can we see part of the water crane, and is that a narrow carriage cleaning platform next to the coaching stock?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/david_christie/8145039122/in/photolist-dpKsn1-9bSP2W-pZro67-kmWvRi-aBF8Jo-uyvkks-6J7ULr-bssUCX-a75EJ-a75Fi-a75Gn-a75F7-a75Hs-pHdBTh-n42N4Z-hWVbnS-omV9dJ-bp3vNo-gZ5wC8-9596Ar-eeqtHL-oGeQSs-o9cnk1-fnqwzk-7gbsnQ-fnqwoV-pf8w5R-rjk8hq-fvznVr-bB6tr5-eG4Wjd-pAfea9-9v4dBi-9v4dv6-rggd2t-i3HUEc-pqRQTt-pkb4p4-9PKz72-oggUES-arFCYF-t2KsZT-atmVcS-iRBCvi-nhCs2e-nZX1Jp-pmRrtX-zy8Ayf-ahnfP8-srCFMN 

cheers

Archived