John Dutfield, Chelmsford

ruggedpeak

• RMweb Gold

It has been some time since I've been into what is my local model railway shop, having been buying discounted Hornby stock direct and taking advantage of various retailers sales. Had two items I particularly wanted, and found both in stock :) The shop remains a veritable aladdin's cave of stock. Found some great stuff that is no longer available, and came out with somewhat more than the 2 items I was after. Hopefully several items I spotted will be still be there in a month or two when I've saved up for them!

Enjoyable hour or so browsing the huge stock. Sentinel tested prior to sale. In the past they've been happy to look over and service loco's there and then, and were doing it for customers today. Fantastic local shop with its own parking off the beaten track.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It has been some time since I've been into what is my local model railway shop, having been buying discounted Hornby stock direct and taking advantage of various retailers sales. Had two items I particularly wanted, and found both in stock :) The shop remains a veritable aladdin's cave of stock. Found some great stuff that is no longer available, and came out with somewhat more than the 2 items I was after. Hopefully several items I spotted will be still be there in a month or two when I've saved up for them!

Enjoyable hour or so browsing the huge stock. Sentinel tested prior to sale. In the past they've been happy to look over and service loco's there and then, and were doing it for customers today. Fantastic local shop with its own parking off the beaten track.

And you can come out with a big smile as well

• RMweb Premium

Not been in for a couple of weeks, haven't thought of anything I need recently. Heather and the gang have managed to relieve me of most of my spare cash over the past few years. It is not often I buy from other shops. Like Tony mentioned you get the chance of folding the goods before buying and it is tested. And you get the added entertainment of Pete trying to put a loco back into its box without him resorting to Anglo-Saxon words regarding the modern packaging.

• RMweb Gold

I once had a Malcolm Mitchell kit out of Dutfield. It was going cheap.

There is a huge range of kits tucked down the back, I think there are probably some rarities in there. There are certainly some rare/no longer available items in the RTR stock. Have my eye on several things if I can raise the funds!

• Like 1

It's good to see the shop go from strength to strength, John, although now retired, is an old friend, his wife Christine was the mid-wife that delivered both my daughters ( a little useless info). I haven't been there for years but believe Heather runs it full-time, her husband Ken ( ? if they're still together ?) is also an old friend, we were all members of Chelmsford Model Railway Club, from the late 1970's. John's knowledge of the trade is second to none, most of it now transferred to Heather.

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Gold

I like going there! Highly recommend.

I did think about using my Twirly bus pass last time I went but the Chelmsford bus route website implied a long walk, so I drove. Heather of course knew exactly what bus I should use and even pointed out the building near the shop it would stop at!

Tony

• Like 1

By the way what clubs are in the area please, that's if any would have me !!

The S4Society North East Essex Area Group meets once a month at Colchester. Well worth a visit. Details on the S4 Society forum.

Edited by LNWRmodeller

• RMweb Premium

By the way what clubs are in the area please, that's if any would have me !!

There's also the Mid-Essex, Ken's their exhibition manager.

Hopefully several items I spotted will be still be there in a month or two when I've saved up for them!

You could ask for the item(s) to be put aside for a month or 2, or pay off as you can.  That way you know that the price will not increase and the item(s) will still be ready and waiting for you.

• 1 year later...

John Dutfield will be at the Mid Essex show tomorrow with their trade stand.

Details are:-

The 40th Mid Essex Model Railway Exhibition.

Saturday 16th September 2017 at Shenfield High School, Oliver Road, Shenfield, Essex, UK, CM15 8PX.

Open 10am to 5pm, free car park on site.

Free bus service from Shenfield railway station.

• Like 3