John Dutfield, Chelmsford

ruggedpeak

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just a reminder that JD has some Ex Kirk Maunsells on their shelves; I got a Restaurant First recently.............................then Hornby produce theirs!!!!!!!

Very helpful over the phone and by email; good old fashioned (respect) service.

Phil

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 30/04/2020 at 13:48, Pete the Elaner said:

The shop is still open for mail order, just not for viewing.

I had some models posted out to me last week.

Hope that you enjoy the items

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

John Dutfield Model Shop Chelmsford managed to get a limited number of May Railway Modellers from Peco for its regular subscribers. Thanks to Ken and Heather for working with Peco to get even a small number of RM magazines - others magazines are available through JDs. Happy modelling, stay safe and support your local model shop.

• Like 4

On 04/01/2018 at 13:12, gobbler said:

I can't recommend them enough, well worth a visit.

Always friendly and helpful.

A real modellers Mecca. My first stop before going to the internet.

Many Thanks, glad that we can support Modellers during this period.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Before I moved to Scotland, John Dutfield was my local model shop. I still use them, although it's now by mail order, as their service is excellent, especially during the last few months. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 13/08/2020 at 12:28, PGC said:

Before I moved to Scotland, John Dutfield was my local model shop. I still use them, although it's now by mail order, as their service is excellent, especially during the last few months. 

Many thanks for your kind comments

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I hadn’t heard of John Dutfield Model Shop until a few days ago - not surprising as they are located several hundred miles from where I live.  However, I was having difficulty finding one of the Cavalex BBA wagons; someone on RMweb suggested I tried John Dutfield so I emailed them late in the evening when I finished my shift.  When I got up the next day there was an email waiting for me, they had kept one for me and all I had to do was pay them over the phone. Really friendly and helpful. When I got home from my shift the next day the parcel was waiting for me, all nicely packed.  So great service and I’ll use them again.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Dangerous for me to visit this shop because it has such an extensive range I might not come out for hours. Friendly people too. I needed a Steampunk loco fast, and managed to contact them through social media. They were on the ball, posted the item fast, and I got it the day before I urgently needed it. Massive thanks to Ken and Heather. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 03/09/2020 at 08:47, ColinK said:

I hadn’t heard of John Dutfield Model Shop until a few days ago - not surprising as they are located several hundred miles from where I live.  However, I was having difficulty finding one of the Cavalex BBA wagons; someone on RMweb suggested I tried John Dutfield so I emailed them late in the evening when I finished my shift.  When I got up the next day there was an email waiting for me, they had kept one for me and all I had to do was pay them over the phone. Really friendly and helpful. When I got home from my shift the next day the parcel was waiting for me, all nicely packed.  So great service and I’ll use them again.

Thank You for your Order.  The BBAs sold out very fast.  We now await another run to arrive.

• Like 1

So we are now into Lockdown 2, so to support modellers we are OPEN for

MAIL ORDER

COLLECT & PAY

E-mail your modellling requirements to heatherwilkinson@btconnect.com we will then check our stocks and get back to you with availability. If you privide your full Postal Address we can also calculate that additional cost - it is what Royal Mail or Parcel Force will charge us.

Obviously we cannot allow any browsing, and only ONE CUSTOMER at a time can come into Collect & Pay. Face Coverings must be worn.

Stay Safe and Keep On Modelling

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Works well, got a Hornby Black 5 the other week that I had seen on the shelf for a while. Called to confirm stock and price, turned up and got the loco.

They have a lot of stock, if you are searching for something that isn't available elsewhere always worth calling Ken and Heather.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

As of Wednesday 2nd December 2020 Essex moves into CV19 Tier Two restrictions.  So once again we are able to welcome Customers inside our shop.  As previously this will be Limited to maintain safe distancing. The coloured light will be in operation GREEN means COME IN, RED means PLEASE WAIT as we are at capacity inside.

Mail Order will be as always, please e-mail your requirements to heatherwilkinson@btconnect.com including the full postal address.  We can then check stocks and calculate the postal charge.

Thank You for your continued support.

1756596954_2020coronavirus-bannerModelRailways.jpg.a040bd2b3e303ad25ed56ae60a4066f1.jpg

Edited by Deltic
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

As Essex has entered CV19 Tier 4, we are unable to allow any in shop browsing,

However, as previously we are operating

Mail Order

Collect & Pay.

Please e-mail your requirements to heatherwilkinson@btconnect.com we will then check stock availability and cost.  For Mail Order we will require the Full Postal Address - must be the same to which the Payment Crd is registered.

Thank You for your support over this year, and obviously before.  We will try and support modellers as best we can during these challenging times.

2020 coronavirus-banner Model Railways.jpg

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

Cannot recommend this shop highly enough. Professional and friendly service. Massive range of goods in stock. A true model railway shop. Brilliant service. Brilliant people.  Been a month or so since I have been in due to this blessed lock down and stuff.  But it's times like now, that we really need to support our local dealers...   

• Agree 5

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: 11/01/2021 Business Hours

Due to the contunued Pandamic Restrictions we will reduce our OPENING HOURS from today.

Our new Hours of Business being

Monday, Tuesday, Thrusday, Friday & Saturday 0900 until 1600

We will still be CLOSED on Wednesday and Sunday

Mail Order and Collect & Pay with operate during these hours.  Please email your requirements (please include your Full Postal Details for Mail Order) to heatherwilkinson@btconnect.com , so we can check stock availability along with cost and respond to you accordingly.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 29/01/2021 at 03:00, Bucoops said:

I see they are open again (mail order, telephone order collection only of course) :)

Yes, unfortunately we had a Family loss in mid-January then Hev and Ken tested Positive for COVID 19.  But we now have the All Clear and have re-opened. 

Thanks to all for their kind messages of support during these times.

So agin we have

Mail Order

Collect & Pay

Please as before e-mail requirements to heatherwilkinson@btconnect.com  we can then check availability and cost.  Sorry but no in shop browsing under Tier 4 Rules. 

Keep Calm, Stay Safe, Model Railways

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Been down at JD's a few times recently, always worth a visit for those hard to find items (huge range of Hornby and Bachmann items ranging from new releases to things from some time ago that are hard to find), found a TOPS Heljan 07 which I couldn't find online so had that away. Also ordered some Heljan Cargowaggons which they got in quickly, and pre-ordered a Cavalex 56. Could have ordered online but do enjoy the experience of buying in store and having a chinwag with Ken to find out the latest model goss.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...

Wanted to say I really enjoyed my experience at this shop! Visited for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I thought the N gauge selection was excellent. Quite a few discontinued items I did not expect to just walk into a shop and find in new condition (found something I really wanted!)

Pre-owned selection was great as well. Could probably spend ages rummaging through the tubs of used bits but I didn't want to make a mess lol

I did get overcharged but it was an honest mistake (hard-to-find item from a display case got packed in the wrong box) but the issue was rectified quickly and the staff were great about it.

Will definitely be coming back, hopefully in the near future!

• Like 6