Bachmann 57xx Pannier Tank in LT livery.

Duchy Wheeler

Thought a list of the models issued thus far might be of interest.

30-200         L.91                       1991 Bachmann SET 30-200

30-201          L.99                      1993 Bachmann SET 30-201

31-903          L.94                      1999 LONDON TRANSPORT MUSEUM

32-210Z        L.95                      2007 KERNOW MODEL CENTRE

32-217          L.89                      2011 Bachmann

30-076         L.97                      2012 MIDNIGHT MET. SET 30-076

32-217Z          L.94                         2013 LTM '150' EDITION

32-217?         L.90                      2013 MIDNIGHT MET. SET 30-077          

• 4 weeks later...

Not many people are aware that the first two panniers L.90 and L.91, both delivered to LT from Swindon in 1956, were painted red by Swindon and photographs indicate that a lighter red was used. Both were returned to Swindon for repair (1961 & 1960 respectively) but condemned and replaced by two othes. These also became L.90 and L.91. So in fact LT had a total of 13 panniers but only 11 in service at any one time.

I was looking at using L91. Was there much visible difference between the first and second loco?

Not really for the modeller.  The 'Red Pannier' book  gives full details on all the loco and is really essential reading on the subject. Currently listed on eBay at £27 plus postage.

Regarding the Bachmann models, the first three issues have an earlier 'Mainline' design chassis.  

Yes 'Red Panniers' is the Bible for these. May be available in libraries.

There are minor differences, for example the original L.90 had riveted tanks whereas the original L.91 had welded tanks with smooth sides, but in fact most ended up being retrofitted with welded tanks.

The Bachmann models are just 57xx's repainted but to be authentic it's not too difficult to fabricate trip cocks and do the minor roofline/gutter changes.

• 2 months later...

I'm not aware of any - perhaps Phil at Radley could be persuaded to do some.  However they are not hard to make from brass or styrene.  Here's a picture of my modified Bachmann 57xx.  The trip cock is below the injector on the left side and further forward on the right side.  You can also see the cab roof gutter repositioning - moved inboard slightly.  See my earlier post reference the brighter red livery.  This is the first L91.

post-7723-0-77689700-1453131888_thumb.jpg

Very Nice Model Jeff. A pity I can't find a close up photograph of the Trip cock, it would be good to see something other than blue prints, to get an idea of what it would look like in the flesh. I was also thinking of adding the wooden beam which was mounted underneath the front step plate, they carried brushes to sweep on the positive rails. This was featured on the 2nd version of L90 I believe along with a few others.

As for the roof gutters, I noticed that many panniers had what looked like a second gutter or bar of some sort on the top sides of the cab. L91 like in your model didn't have this.
Patrick

Patrick - yes due to the slight variations between the original pair of panniers and the later ones I stuck to using photos of L91 (1) as reference.  There are several nice colour photos of  locos in Red Panniers clearly showing the trip cocks but in a quick look I couldn't see any close ups.  I did notice that the trip cock on the right hand side is actually behind the forward steps.  I'm sure I modelled it like that but the loco is currently in a display case left side out.....

Patrick - a further flick through Red Panniers found a picture on page 41 of the right side trip cock but unfortunately it is behind the front steps and in fact the picture was presumably taken to show the snow brushes.

It's not exactly clear on Radley's site just what the lost wax castings are.  These are presumably more visible in 7mm but you still have to provide the support for the L/H one and according to photos and drawings the vacuum line goes straight into the top of the cock.  In 4mm it is really just necessary to add pipes to run behind the bracket and steps and continuing below the bottom, filed to a point to simulate the moving trip part.

Just went to put Red Panniers back on the shelf and realized that the picture on the front cover, with smaller version on page 29, shows the left side trip cock and trigger (if that's the right word) behind the bracket.

Also pages 78 and 79 show L89 taking on water at Watford with good close ups of the additional weather-strip that seems to feature on all the later panniers.  It appears to be added by replacing the original horizontal rivets that attach the roof corner angle iron.  It has a bead on the lower edge that runs above the cab cut-out bead.  All the panniers that made it to preservation (including L89) seem to have retained this feature.

• 1 month later...

Archived