early tender question please

Hi All,I am building a mswjr loco in 5 inch gauge,2-4-0 no 12,There are no drawings ,so most of the body work is scaled from photos,etc,I am on the tender at the moment,and i need some info on the water filler cap, I know it is round,I need to know did early pre grouping tenders have the lid hinged or a lift off dustbin lid type,I can not find a picture of any early tender tops, Thankyou Garry

Hi All,I am building a mswjr loco in 5 inch gauge,2-4-0 no 12,There are no drawings ,so most of the body work is scaled from photos,etc,I am on the tender at the moment,and i need some info on the water filler cap, I know it is round,I need to know did early pre grouping tenders have the lid hinged or a lift off dustbin lid type,I can not find a picture of any early tender tops, Thankyou Garry

Hi Garry,

Early CR tenders had a flat hinged lid with a projection at the front for lifting it by.  I can scan you a drawing and send it off-list if you like?

Jim

Hi Jim,Yes if you could scan it for me that would be a great help,Scottish as well so that is a bonus as this loco would of been built by dubbs,The tender i expect would be standard to others at that time.Garry

Hi Jim,Yes if you could scan it for me that would be a great help,Scottish as well so that is a bonus as this loco would of been built by dubbs,The tender i expect would be standard to others at that time.Garry

I'll dig out the drawing in the next day or two.  Can't remember whether it was a Neilson or Dubs build.

Jim

Hi Garry and Jim,

Perhaps I can be of help here. The tenders on these engines were standard Glasgow & South Western Railway design. There seems to have been some arrangement with Dubs to use the tender drawings which were originally designed by Hugh Smellie and perpetuated by James Manson with only minor alterations. As supplied to the MSJW there were some differences, the axleboxes and springs and the buffers which were probably the company standard. When the GWR took them over there were other alterations made which changed the appearance. The locomotives themselves were not like anything the Sou' West had.

I have copies of the GA so will send you a scan in the morning.

Ian

Archived