Class 31`s in deepest Cornwall?.

Tove

Hi guy`s,

I`m trying to find pictures of class 31`s in Cornwall during the early 80`s, (80-84) because i`d like to run one on a small 7mm micro layout based on the Holman bros works,at the end of the Roskear branch.

I know one never ran on this line,but if i could find a picture of one that work down that far, then i could use that loco number to justify it being there.(my railway and all that!!)

I have got two pictures of the same loco on the same day/time,but in two different books running light through Bodmin rd,but..... they have different numbers!;ie 31173 (OPC power of the 31`s) & 31273 (diesel days,Devon & Cornwall)

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Try the Cornwall railways society website. There's a photo of a 31 heading through Par station on there. http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/st-austell-ecl-to-lostwithiel-incl.html

Best regards,

Jeremy

As well as that photo check out the articles section of the site, there is a section near the end for class 31s in the south west particularly Cornwall with more photos.

Also reference the  31173/31273 query. Check on Flickr, a search for '31273 1981' brings up a photo of 31273 with the same distinctive grease pattern on the buffers ,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/65618647@N03/8482979488/in/photolist-eBxR2K-pxeQWZ-dVBug3

cheers

Thanks Kevin & Jeremy,

The suggestions were really helpful.

I`ve found another picture on the CornwalI railways society site of 31113 on a re-railing train at St Erth in 83'.

So this is the loco i`m going to use.

Thanks again,

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brian

That's my (rather crappy) shot of 31113 at St Erth taken in 1983 when 37207 derailed on the west end crossover. I also have photos of 31325 at Hayle 1983 with an inspection saloon, and another 31 on the up parcels at Hayle one lunchtime in 1984.

A class 31/4 made it to Penzance in 1984 when I was agonizingly doing my paperround in Queensway Hayle. I heard a EE loco powering away and was sure it wasn't a 37. Sure enough I glimpsed it going back up between the houses.

I'm not aware of one making to Holmans or Hayle Wharves though.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

In 1975 Prince Charles visited Newquay on the Royal Train which was hauled by a pair of 31s. I can't seem to get the link to show here but there's a photo on the Par to Newquay section of the Cornwall Railway Society's site.

In 1975 Prince Charles visited Newquay on the Royal Train which was hauled by a pair of 31s. I can't seem to get the link to show here but there's a photo on the Par to Newquay section of the Cornwall Railway Society's site.

I couldn't help noticing that the OPs name is Brian, 31s were sometimes known as Brians and Prince Charles is referred to as Brian in Private Eye magazine. Spooky.

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/5418664_orig.jpg

• 11 months later...

It's taken me a lot of digging around to find this photo but this was arguably the highlight of the summer of 1987 in Cornwall. When the DMU for the 1144 Newton Abbot to Penzance failed on 27th July all that was available was a scratch set of coaches at Laira and Immingham based 31308.

It worked through to Penzance and returned east on the 1447 Penzance to Plymouth seen here at Brea just east of Camborne.  

post-24346-0-36984600-1491246466_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's taken me a lot of digging around to find this photo but this was arguably the highlight of the summer of 1987 in Cornwall. When the DMU for the 1144 Newton Abbot to Penzance failed on 27th July all that was available was a scratch set of coaches at Laira and Immingham based 31308.

It worked through to Penzance and returned east on the 1447 Penzance to Plymouth seen here at Brea just east of Camborne.  

My word what a whopper! This eluded me down west - well done. I will mention it to Roger Geach who is collating class 31 Cornish gen.

Archived