Icons of Canadian Steam, led by the Royal Hudson

sjgardiner

Presumably in HO?

Yes, HO, a program of 12 iconic Canadian steam locomotives.

I would guess if they do really well in HO then N may be considered, or someone could step up (hobby shop, something like Revolution Trains in the UK) to have Rapido do them outside the traditional retail route.  Or perhaps crowd funded.

I applaud Jason for this, and this could change the face of steam era modelling in North America.

I have commented on this forum in the UK modelling areas on the occasional threads about how overhead electric models don't sell that the big problem is that none of the manufacturers approach it from a modelers perspective - needing a range of product to make a layout viable.

Throwing out 2 or 3 overhead electric models that are all from different eras, and different geographic operational areas, doesn't allow for one to make an overhead electric layout when the other models needed aren't available.

The same problem exists not just in Canadian steam, but all North American steam.  The models that are available - non-brass - are all of "popular" typically large steam engines but it is typically 1 maybe 2 engines per railroad.  Not enough to realistically model a portion of a railroad in the diversity of motive power, and more often that not the smaller more common engines are missing entirely.

Jason is changing this.

You can now, using the multi-year 12 model commitment, take a look around Canada or perhaps parts of some Northern states like Vermont for a CP or CN line you would like to model in the steam era and be confident that you will have the steam engines you need available.

This has the opportunity to create an large number of the Canadian equivalent to the British steam branchline terminus layouts that are so popular in the UK.

To anyone suddenly interested in modeling Canadian steam one possible source of inspiration is the series of books by Ian Wilson covering CNR operations in Ontario in the 1950 time frame:

http://www.canadianbranchline.com/books.htm

Sadly there is no equivalent for the CPR, but Trevor Marshall has a possibility based on Elora:

http://themodelrailwayshow.com/LayoutDesign/?p=3292

And the Old Time Trains website has info on the CPR operations in Ontario:

http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/

For those with ambition and a bit of space, the book "Keep 'Em Rolling" by Ron Watson (1984, long out of print) covers CN's Spadina (Toronto) Roundhouse from 1923-1966 based on the photographs and memories of the author's father.  Modeling this would likely make Jason very happy given the number of locomotives you would be buying.

[edited to add Spadina book]

Edited by Gerald Henriksen

Jason Shron and Rapido Trains in their newsletter today announced a very exciting program of steam, yes that's correct sir, STEAM, locomotives representing Canadian subjects under the "Icons Of Canadian Steam" banner.

This range is being led in 2017 by the Royal Hudson.  This is a very good choice and a locomotive I have admired for a long time. I will be sorely tempted by it. (Who am I kidding I know I will order one.)

This is a massive program extending out over eight years until 2023 with no fewer than 12 locomotives envisioned.

Good luck with this program Jason - I wish you every success and hope it will all happen (at least mostly) to plan.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My flabber is suitably ghasted. This is a stunning program and one I hope succeeds.

The price point is eye-watering, but doubtless will be worth it. I can see a large clearout coming to accommodate some of these...

An interesting set of choices to be sure. Many of these have been done in brass in years gone by but the prices for them (brass) are a bit eyewatering especially the likes of the Royal Hudson. It will be interesting to see this program roll out and tempting. Jut to make things even more interesting there are 'stuffed and mounted' examples available for scanning at places like the National Museum of Science and Technology and Exporail so plenty of opportunity to get publicity on the off chance anyone hasn't noticed what's going on.

Cheers,

David

And lets wish  Mike all the best wishes  for a speedy  recovery while we are at it .

The model will be great  and long needed.Van Hobbies  produced brass ones over the decades but that was long time ago . Naturally I cant afford one .

Yes, HO, a program of 12 iconic Canadian steam locomotives.

Oh, good. That means I can save my money to buy expensive Broadway Limited N-scale locos instead. ;)

As they don't appear to be doing the only CN steamer I have ever seen running (6218, U-2g), I'm not even tempted by one as a display model. I expect that modellers of the transition period on CN or CP will be ecstatic, though.

My main concern with the is announcement is that the N-scale program may now be limited to more GMD-1 variants... :jester:

Adrian

Note: while not good for me personally, this is a very good thing for Canadian modellers.

A very nice idea. Interesting the comments on price expectations; the size of a Royal Hudson, even in 3.5mm scale is going to make our usual models look diminutive. Even the tender is going to be massive. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/americanloco/e5c7d86ba

I have a soft spot for this loco, unlike the usual reception (!) at our heritage railways the moment I took an interest in the loco I was invited into the cab. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/americanloco/e5c7d7646

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

Almost 20 years ago, my wife and I planned a trip across Canada by train over Christmas.  I wrote to Via Rail to enquire if I might get permission for a cab ride at some stage in the journey.  Their response had to be seen to be believed.  Any attempt to get into the cab of a Via Rail locomotive would see me proscuted out of sight (and doubtless pocket).  OK I thought let's leave it at that.  Then on our trip we arrived in Jasper in thick snow and bitter cold.  I wandered up to the front of the train to take some photos while sufficient head-end power was attached to ensure we could successfully overcome the Rockies.  As I did so, one of the windows in a loco was opened and a voice asked if I was interested in seeing the inside of the loco where it was much warmer.  I climbed up and was given a quick explanation of the controls which was interrupted by a voice from Edmonton telling the crew it was time to leave.  The driver turned to me and said that either I jumped off and returned to my wife or I was in the cab for the next 200 miles.  I stayed!

When I later (much later) returned to my wife I got a somewhat chilly reception as she was half convinced I had been left in Jasper.

We had lots to talk about while I was in that cab and later I paid my way by sending the driver a video of a cab ride through the Channel Tunnel.  In return he sent me drawings of the Via Rail FP40H.  One of those that hauled us on that trip was 6439 which just happened to be the number of an Aintree-based Ivatt 2-6-0 2MT (OK with a "4" in front) which often propelled the trip working on the Liverpool - Southport line, close to which I grew up.

Happy memories!

Stan

• Like 3

Reading the newsletter, Jason is his usual silly self (no offence! :D ) and Rapido is moving. You can find the new premises on Google Earth, find the junction of Alden Rd and 14th Ave, which is near a railway line. How convenient and thoughtful, trainspotting in winter from a warm office ;) Isn't Jason good for his minions employees :kingchris:

Note: they are moving about 4 doors north-east in the same complex. Note also that George's Trains is just east north of that, on the north side of 14th Ave (you can watch trains while shopping).

post-206-0-69930100-1444754143.jpg

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

For those with a semtimental streak, this trip was a delayed honeymoon - hence my wife's concern for my absence.  All these years later, I rather think she would still be concerned if I wasn't on board a train on which we were making a trip . . .

Stan

Almost 20 years ago, my wife and I planned a trip across Canada by train over Christmas.  I wrote to Via Rail to enquire if I might get permission for a cab ride at some stage in the journey.  Their response had to be seen to be believed.  Any attempt to get into the cab of a Via Rail locomotive would see me proscuted out of sight (and doubtless pocket).  OK I thought let's leave it at that.  Then on our trip we arrived in Jasper in thick snow and bitter cold.  I wandered up to the front of the train to take some photos while sufficient head-end power was attached to ensure we could successfully overcome the Rockies.  As I did so, one of the windows in a loco was opened and a voice asked if I was interested in seeing the inside of the loco where it was much warmer.  I climbed up and was given a quick explanation of the controls which was interrupted by a voice from Edmonton telling the crew it was time to leave.  The driver turned to me and said that either I jumped off and returned to my wife or I was in the cab for the next 200 miles.  I stayed!

When I later (much later) returned to my wife I got a somewhat chilly reception as she was half convinced I had been left in Jasper.

We had lots to talk about while I was in that cab and later I paid my way by sending the driver a video of a cab ride through the Channel Tunnel.  In return he sent me drawings of the Via Rail FP40H.  One of those that hauled us on that trip was 6439 which just happened to be the number of an Aintree-based Ivatt 2-6-0 2MT (OK with a "4" in front) which often propelled the trip working on the Liverpool - Southport line, close to which I grew up.

Happy memories!

Stan

Hi guys,

Thanks for the support.

It is a monumental undertaking, but as I said in the newsletter we pulled off The Canadian with far fewer resources so we should be able to achieve this one.

The response we've had proved what we at Rapido had already figured out a long time ago. The online North American forums are heavily skewed towards modern modelling, but truthfully there are many more transition era modellers out there than you would guess by reading the forums.

As one fellow said on the CanModelTrains  forum, our VIA models have increased the number of people modelling VIA, so hopefully these models will increase the number of people modelling steam. And if the availability of (more) affordable and accurate Canadian steam models increases the number of people actually taking the plunge in our hobby, we'll all be better for it.

-Jason

• Like 2

I applaud Jason for this, and this could change the face of steam era modelling in North America.

I have commented on this forum in the UK modelling areas on the occasional threads about how overhead electric models don't sell that the big problem is that none of the manufacturers approach it from a modelers perspective - needing a range of product to make a layout viable.

Throwing out 2 or 3 overhead electric models that are all from different eras, and different geographic operational areas, doesn't allow for one to make an overhead electric layout when the other models needed aren't available.

I scan read that and thought "Great, Rapido are going to follow up with Canadian Electric Locomotives. Tumbler Ridge Toaster, CN Z1a, GE 50 ton Steeplecab as BCH 960.....