The Bournemouth West Model Railway Group / Now known as The South Coast Model Railway Development Group / TSCMRDG

Ceptic

I was lucky enough to get to see the layout last week; it'll be an absolute cracker of an exhibition layout with interesting operation. Roger's got quite a bit of work to do before we get to see this although it's instantly recognisable with the signals in place but I think it'll be well worth the wait.

Bournemouth_West_1s.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Certainly worthwhile thanks :) With three major stations modelled in the local area to such high standards it just needs Poole and Broadstone filling in to make a huge layout! (Yes I know Bournemouth Central can't move but I can dream ;) )

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see. If we connect all the layouts up, we could have one big layout of the local area! I'm not sure which exhibition hall they would all fit in though... ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all.

Over the past years, several modellers have expressed an interest in modelling this 'Iconic' Southern terminus. Sometimes known as 'The Clapham of the South'.

For me, locally, the first inkling of this group's proposed layout came via an invitation from long time RMweb member, and friend, Mr. Peter Kazmierczak, to participate in a meeting, held, under the auspices of himself and that of the Bournemouth Central Library.

Along with Peter, was our most esteemed guest, BR(S / S&D) Driver & Fireman, Peter Smith, Driver of the last, up. 'Pines Express'. Donald Beale (R.I.P.), being the booked Driver, giving up his 'seat' for the occasion.

Along with meeting both Peters, I was most impressed with the ambitions of the BWMRG. (No names, no pack-drill.   at the moment !)

The layout's main viewing point is from the North. (Not a favourable, prototype. view, according to several  photographers).

Approximately 35' long (Scale 1/2 Mile +). from the terminus stop-blocks, to the convenient exit, opposite the Carriage Cleaning Shed.

Beyond this. the line transcribes a 180 degrees curve to enter the 'Fiddle' ?, 'Formation' ? yard.

All the best,

Ceptic.

Hhmmm...

P.S....

Looking at the file upload limit. here, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm doing it right ?   or,   if  it's all worth while ?.

I don't see that viewing from the "north" is a disadvantage for this layout.

Prototype photography is another matter. Views from the north mean pointing your camera into the sun.

• RMweb Premium

I'd just like to clarify an important, point. The baseboards were built by Dave, a key member of our group, and the "box of tricks" was built by Steve C, who is the only person I know who could have done it. He also mastered Templot and produced the track plan, overlaying on the OS map and giving us templates for the points.

For those interested in these things the layout is DCC controlled and the control panel uses a CML electronics module to allow push button control of points and signals. It also sets any one of 12 routes using just one push button. All DCC equipment is by Digitrax and point motors are Tortoise. As Frank says, the plain track is C&L but we built the points using Templot and copperclad sleepers as they were pretty much all non standard and include two scissors crossovers and a double slip. Point work was built by myself and Dave.

Ballast is Woodland scenics 'N' scale, a mix of buff and brown, but the ash ballast in the yard area is fine sieved sand.

Signals are mainly from MSE components, still awaiting LSWR finials in some cases and operated using servos and the brilliant GF control units giving slow pull off and bounce on return.

The first building has now been completed and installed, the goods shed. This and future buildings will utilise a new (to me anyway) material called Foamex ( not to be confused with foamboard) which gives great rigidity but is very light and easy to cut. If anyone is interested I'll try and post some pics.

• Like 6

Many thanks Roger, for setting me straight, in regard to the people 'behind the scenes', as it were.

I'd never make a good journalist, even with a note-pad and pen, to boost.

Please accept my sincere apologies, to those who I've missed out, and to those who've I've got mixed up with.

All the best,

Frank.

The first layout I've known to use materials from a dog kennel. :)

That'll get folk guessing as to what bit it is.

You've obviously got more Chum"s that know Andy !

Excellent looking layout, its given me fond memories of my childhood trips to see my grandmother, very much looking forward to more postings  :imsohappy:

• Like 1

No problem Frank but I forgot to mention your role. Not only have you been very supportive but also provided us with a mountain of info and the most wonderful translation of the original building plans into workable drawings. Many thanks.

Thanks Roger.

I've, always. been  a bu**er, at a loss, in remembering names.

Got me into a bit of trouble*, in the past, with various ex-girl friends.

*See Andy Y's referral to 'Dog-house'.

Hi all.

A view, very similar to Andy's, showing 9F 92233 with the Up 'Pines', about to leave from the station's longest platform, No.4. The length of this, and that of Nos.5 & 6, restricted the length of trains that could be accommodated, especially the 'Arrivals'.

The 'Restriction of  Loads --- Bournemouth West. Regs' governing this, state that "The maximum load of trains entering Bournemouth West is restricted to 12 bogie coaches. or the equivalent, except when 6 or more bogie coaches of the new type (67 feet 1 inch long) are included, then the maximum load is 11 bogie coaches, or the equivalent.

These loads must not be exceeded, except by prior arrangement"

Several images depicting 'Departures', notably the 'Belle'  https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7047/6855733469_afc673beb3_b.jpg https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7189/6855725507_c2a74129f2_b.jpg

'Specials' https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5024/5570021140_7ef84f6b51_b.jpg  and the not so notable / special  https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5024/5570021140_7ef84f6b51_b.jpg   show the train engine in front / in advance of the platform Starter. 

It wasn't until the Advanced Starter, along with it's route indicating 'Distant' (See the pics in previous post) were 'Off', along with whistles being blown and Green flags been waved, that the 'Up' departing train could make it's move. Thus, it could be assumed that departing trains would not be held to such load limits.

Cheers

Frank.

post-7009-0-49554900-1445102888_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 3

Ok,

Without any less adieu (and chat). Some more pics.

post-7009-0-89900300-1445107920_thumb.jpg 

post-7009-0-06123900-1445109415_thumb.jpg

The Goods Shed. Built from laser cut Plasticard (Outer) and reinforcing Foamex (Inner).

Sizes were gained by using the 1 : 480 Ground plan and photographs. Not entirely accurate, in width, at the time, but, since then, more detailed drawings have been acquired.

post-7009-0-23148700-1445109952_thumb.jpg

Pictures of the developing station area.

The 'Queen's Hotel' *. Threw a few 'Arrers' here. and knocked down a couple of 'Pins' (and pints) in 'Skittle alley'.' round back post-7009-0-23216400-1445121496_thumb.jpg post-7009-0-76378200-1445122011_thumb.jpg

Since then, it's, definitely, gone downhill.

*Topics / sites, regarding Railway Hotels, their use, their rise to fame and their demise, are available, on line.

Without going too far off topic, comments are welcome here, also.

Cheers.

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

The surfacing in the yard is very convincing, often a difficult feature to get looking "right".

Please can you tell us how you did it?

Many thanks,

Dave.

Thanks DLT. The track work in the yard was first ballasted with very fine sieved sand (from the New Forest actually). The sides of the rails and sleepers were sprayed with Railmatch sleeper grime. Then we brushed on some Geoscenics track powders. These give the impression of caked on ballast and we've used the same technique in the platform areas and where locos stand but with more black pigment to represent oil deposits. On the real thing the yard was mainly gravel so we spread a layer of PVA on the area and sprinkled on a mix of the sand and Woodland scenics gravel, buff colour. This was then soaked with a diluted mix of PVA water and a drop or two of washing up liquid, to stop bubbling. When dry the whole thing was toned down with an airbrush using a mix of rust blacks and greys. Certain areas were treated again with PVA both round and between the tracks, and a mix of static grass fibres, Noch mainly, were put on wth a grass machine, I use a Greenscene one. The mix of fibres Is between 2 and 6 mm in length. Finally the area was again toned down with an airbrush to take the shine off the grass.

To be honest there is still further work to do, the gravel still looks a little fresh to me and I'd like to see some rosebay willow herb in there somewhere

• Like 2