The Bournemouth West Model Railway Group / Now known as The South Coast Model Railway Development Group / TSCMRDG

Ceptic

As you have discovered, 'up' front (or rear) photos of the 'Pump House' are very thin on the ground,  if they exist at all.

It's proved difficult enough with the 'Signal Box'.

...One reason being that it was over-looked / suffered restricted view from the rear... What can be seen here, looks to be hidden by a tree.

Hi Frank

Many thanks for such a detailed response.

If you think it's hard to find evidence for modelling the Nationalisation period, you should try the period I'm modelling - 1930. I presume the pump house was around then? None of the the pre-Grouping photos I've found online show that part of the scene, and there are very few SR-period photos around, but in the BR-era ones where it's visible it looks more like a house.

The trees are certainly interesting. It's looking likely that the outer wall of the pump house would have been plain brick (why install a window that can't see anything?). If I can squeeze in a tree or two in front of it to match the real thing then that won't matter at all. Until further evidence comes up that should probably be good enough.

I know what you mean about the signal box. The only useful photo I've found is in 'Steaming Through West Hants' by Peter Hay, and that's only an end-on view. Again, my version of the signal box will be facing towards the wall/window, so I probably only need to worry specifically about the rear and sides.

Other details on your layout, though, have been very informative for me, such as the extra water column alongside the sidings. Thanks for all the photos.

Peter

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much Frank--I would love to meet up with you at Swindon, Sat 9/9 and thank you personally for the great help you offer freely to others.

Best regards,

Ed

Hello Ed. 

Thanks.

I too am hoping to meet some of you fellas at Bournemouth West MR Group's Debut / Premier at Swindon.

Trouble is, I've just (today) been invited to another overnight stay in hospital, on Thursday 7th. (The second in a week). This time for another Angioplasty in the left leg (Ii's already had four. The right leg's been just as bad.)

If I make it there, it will be Sat. Sept.9th. afternoon.

Hopefully, I'll see you then.

All the best,

Frank.

Edited by Ceptic

I came. I saw. I was suitably amazed. Wonderful layout. I spent more time in front of this (and photographing it for reference) than any other layout.

A few shots are available here, but to be honest I was more interested in structures than rolling stock (wrong period for me):

DSCN9829

DSCN9806

DSCN9797

DSCN9796

DSCN9824

DSCN9816

DSCN9809

Edited by CarriageShed
  • Like 12

I came. I saw. I was suitably amazed. Wonderful layout. I spent more time in front of this (and photographing it for reference) than any other layout.

A few shots are available here, but to be honest I was more interested in structures than rolling stock (wrong period for me):

Yes a truly magnificent layout with patient staff freely available to field the questions.

Well done to  all involved and I look forward to further views.

ps--a bit late getting there --rerouted trains from Cheltenham to Newport via Gloucester and then connection to Bristol T.M.and finally onward to Swindon--an adventure and well worth the effort!!!

Thank you to all involved with the B.W layout

best regards,

Ed

Yeap here's another viewer today

Absolutely fantastic the detail as mentioned above in the structures is superb. My favourite view point was looking up from the end board in to the station and at platform level below the canopies. At that height it really did feel I was one of the passengers waiting to board the next train as it slowly pulled in to the station.

Brilliant thank you

Dan

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for all your comments, and indeed for all the wonderful feedback we got at the show. We (the operators) all had a brilliant time and, apart from a few niggles, probably to be expected on its first showing, the layout ran very well. Particularly pleased with the performance of the auto uncoupling system fitted to the station pilot which worked faultlessly for 2 days.

Work to do before its next outing, which is scheduled to be the BRM show in Peterborough, October 2018. This will include, finishing the signal box, revising the sequence and tweaking the fiddle yard, but most importantly to get those signals all working.

• Like 1

Many thanks for all your comments, and indeed for all the wonderful feedback we got at the show. We (the operators) all had a brilliant time and, apart from a few niggles, probably to be expected on its first showing, the layout ran very well. Particularly pleased with the performance of the auto uncoupling system fitted to the station pilot which worked faultlessly for 2 days.

Work to do before its next outing, which is scheduled to be the BRM show in Peterborough, October 2018. This will include, finishing the signal box, revising the sequence and tweaking the fiddle yard, but most importantly to get those signals all working.

Hi Roger,

This is looking better every time I see it, and it's a real tribute to you guys! Do you happen to know if you're coming to the South West at all yet (i.e. Exeter or Plymouth)? Being down in Cornwall, we only get occasional glimpses of England through the rain...

ATB

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi David

Regrettably we haven't been invited to any shows in the South West - yet, although we have already taken bookings up to 2021. We will be supporting some of our local shows, if that helps, and we are booked to appear at Wimborne 2019 and Poole next year. Hope this helps.

Edited by Roger Sunderland
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Roger,

This is looking better every time I see it, and it's a real tribute to you guys! Do you happen to know if you're coming to the South West at all yet (i.e. Exeter or Plymouth)? Being down in Cornwall, we only get occasional glimpses of England through the rain...

ATB

David

Hi Roger,

Will the B.W. layout definitely be at BRM,  Peterborough ? It is not listed hence my query.

Ed

Hi Roger,

Will the B.W. layout definitely be at BRM,  Peterborough ? It is not listed hence my query.

Ed

It should be at Peterborough next year; that was always the plan after the guys had their Swindon shakedown.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not sure how I haven't followed or seen this topic yet, it's a fantastic layout!! Eagerly looking forward to more updates

Thanks very much Jack. Things have been a bit quiet since our first show at Swindon in October. In fact the layout remains packed away in its home as it is not due back on show until November next year at Poole, followed by the BRM exhibition at Peterborough.

Having said that there is much to do. We identified some issues with the fiddle yard traverser and loop at Swindon and we are looking to redesign these. We will also take the opportunity to redesign the sequence. Other than that the major work before November will be to get the signals operating. All these have been built and were installed, non working, at Swindon. We will probably be using the GF controls units for operation. Up until now whenever a train arrives or departs it has been on the "OK" of the signalman operating the central control panel who sets all routes in and out. Fully operating signals will mean the "drivers" movements will be controlled by wether the signals are on or off.

More updates as work progresses.

• Like 1

Many thanks for posting your pics from the Swindon show, this will be my first attempt at attaching a photo online so hope the view of MN No.35022

"Holland Amerika Line" leaving the terminus with the up "Belle".post-31959-0-19856100-1511561109_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chris Knight
  • Like 16

Very nice Chris, you know I'm not going to let you forget your first picture was a proper engine ;)

Thanks Paul,yes must have been a mere SR loco as I managed to misspell the name ! Must have been thinking of 35023's  odd "Afrika". I will make sure there are plenty

shots of 7911 "Lady Margaret Hall" on the down York eventually posted to further your education somewhat. I must admit this loco was such a regular on this service that

I tired of seeing it every evening back in the 1950's. Really enjoyed  "Lulworth" at the recent Poole show. Regards,Chris

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Further to Roger's "to do" list we have decided to incorporate a historical theme by variations in motive power and stock from 1954 through to 1962, a theme

we found worked successfully on the group's now retired Horfield layout. We believe it will add extra interest for the spectators with descriptive panels at the front

of BW supplying information regarding the trains involved in each of the three eras. Another necessary task will be to replace the backscenes - in the rush to prepare for our

debut at Swindon we hurriedly appropriated and adapted those from Horfield -  we think they need to be a few inches higher as well as repainted. 

Hopefully a little bit of train action on video posted shortly

• Like 3

Further to Roger's "to do" list we have decided to incorporate a historical theme by variations in motive power and stock from 1954 through to 1962, a theme

we found worked successfully on the group's now retired Horfield layout. We believe it will add extra interest for the spectators with descriptive panels at the front

of BW supplying information regarding the trains involved in each of the three eras. Another necessary task will be to replace the backscenes - in the rush to prepare for our

debut at Swindon we hurriedly appropriated and adapted those from Horfield -  we think they need to be a few inches higher as well as repainted. 

Hopefully a little bit of train action on video posted shortly

Hi Chris. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through your and the MRG postings of Bournemouth West, when I found it on this site, not least because I worked in Bournemouth for some 21 years in the 80's and 90's and your pictures bring back memories of my time there, they're so accurate. The standard is superb, and as a Southern modeler I can only envy the amount of space you have to work in. I have been working on my own ( Southern) garage layout for the last ten years, and had given up hope of finding some decent buildings I could build for my terminus. Certainly parts of the main Bournemouth West buildings would suit, and I wondered if you could possibly let me know if it's possible to obtain the plans for them in 4mm scale? Would appreciate your input if poss.    

• Like 1