The Bournemouth West Model Railway Group / Now known as The South Coast Model Railway Development Group / TSCMRDG

Ceptic

A reminder of some dates when BW will be "on show".  The Poole MRC event at Poole Grammar School is on Sunday 4th Nov., always a good exhibition 13 layouts

are scheduled to attend plus trade support and demos,refreshments etc.

The BRM National Festival of Railway Modelling follows on Dec. 8th/9th, to coincide with this major show the layout will be strongly featured in the Dec. issue of the

magazine and associated free cover mounted DVD,which as well as video and further stills will show an interview with layout supremo Roger Sunderland.

A show preview is now on the Exhibition Topics section of RM web (sorry, don't know how to set up a link) and footage features of an exciting new synchronised

sound/smoke effect. For clarification we must stress this is still under development - only 2 or 3 locos so equipped are likely to perform at Poole and Peterborough.

We look forward to meeting any followers or contributors to this thread at either (or both!) event

• Like 1

An interesting artifact has recently come to light over on Network Rail's  'Mediastorehouse' archive site.

It shows the Poole and Bournemouth Railway's drawn elevations of both Parkstone  (South / Platform side and West Elevation) and Bournemouth (Later Bournemouth West) Station Approach (South) side.

I'm guessing the date of c.1898 is a 'cover-all' date as the, now, 'West' station would have been extended and improved by then,1889 in fact. The drawing shows the original 1874 building.

https://nr.mediastorehouse.com/stations/parkstone-station/poole-bournmouth-railway-parkstone-bournemouth-11883779.html

Regards,

Frank.

A reminder of some dates when BW will be "on show".  The Poole MRC event at Poole Grammar School is on Sunday 4th Nov., always a good exhibition 13 layouts

are scheduled to attend plus trade support and demos,refreshments etc.

The BRM National Festival of Railway Modelling follows on Dec. 8th/9th, to coincide with this major show the layout will be strongly featured in the Dec. issue of the

magazine and associated free cover mounted DVD,which as well as video and further stills will show an interview with layout supremo Roger Sunderland.

A show preview is now on the Exhibition Topics section of RM web (sorry, don't know how to set up a link) and footage features of an exciting new synchronised

sound/smoke effect. For clarification we must stress this is still under development - only 2 or 3 locos so equipped are likely to perform at Poole and Peterborough.

We look forward to meeting any followers or contributors to this thread at either (or both!) event

Here's the link to the Poole exhibition Chris.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137387-poole-4th-november-2018-featuring-bournemouth-west-layout/

And a couple for the Peterborough festival.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129628-brm-peterborough-festival-2018/?hl=peterborough

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135467-the-national-festival-of-railway-modelling-89-december-2018/?hl=peterborough

All the best,

Frank.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent spread on this layout in the December BRM. I'd love to know who is behind the steam generator on the Bulleid Pacific featured in the video as the steam effects are by far the best I've seen in 4mm scale. 

Edited by dpgibbons

Went to the Poole Model railway exhibition with my Dad (first time I had been to the show in many many years).

Stunning, Stunning layout, trying to get near it to see the action was the issue, and rightly so. Superb attention to detail, with sound fitted locos and appropriate stock. Great that it is modelled on a local station (which sadly I never got to see).

Everyone connected with this layout should be very proud.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoyed seeing this layout yesterday although a few gremlins with regular derailments at one particular location. With no crowd barriers and the layout shoehorned into a small room, it was difficult for the operators. Not the easiest venue, but I felt the Exhibition Manager had not made the best of it. BW should have had a much more prominent place where it would have been easier for people to see it.

• RMweb Gold

I talked to James and it didn’t fit anywhere else ;) In the main hall it didn’t quite fit across it and the step in the hall prevented turning it 90°. It was very much a favour for James so top marks to the group for taking on a one day show as a shakedown for the Peterborough one.

Great support for a local show that has picked itself up after a decline and returned with a bang in the last couple of years.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Excellent spread on this layout in the December BRM. I'd love to know who is behind the steam generator on the Bulleid Pacific featured in the video as the steam effects are by far the best I've seen in 4mm scale.

Yes the clip seen on Nigel’s video is most impressive, any chance of a few details and pics inside?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the feedback so far folks. We did have a few gremlins in the morning though all seemed to settle down in the afternoon. Yes it was a bit cramped but as Paul has pointed out there was nowhere else that was better suited. The layout was there as both a shakedown for Peterborough and because James asked us - he has helped a lot with wiring and other electrical issues.

As far as the steam goes, yes, it is incredibly effective BUT it is something we are trialing for a colleague, it is not yet commercially available and, for obvious reasons, we can't, at this stage, give any details. We hope to have at least three steam locos operating at Peterborough and a video is available in this months BRM which has some good footage.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thoroughly enjoyed seeing this superb layout yesterday, a very well done to all involved.

I can second that!

Got there just after 10.00am and parking was already filling up.

Actually went just to see Bournemouth West (no offence to the other exhibits) and was not disappointed.

Very nostalgic to see the 'actual site' modeled and representative traffic in action.

I thought the steam sounds were very well done and properly linked to speed/load etc..

I can echo the comments on the smoke generation - superb effect.

Will add my congratulations to all concerned in the build and operation.

• RMweb Gold

Agree about the steam sounds. Not perfect but probably the best that I have heard in 4mm.

That station pilot (2MT) was kept busy.

I really only went to see this layout and it was worth the admission money on its own. As I wrote earlier in the thread, I was keen for our club to model BW. Seeing it in operation yesterday vindicated that choice.

I find myself wondering what BW might have looked like if it had been kept open post 1967. Could make for an interesting D&E layout with 33s coupling up to 4TCs and taking them on to Weymouth. Fewer platforms (with no trains to deal with from the S&D) and the goods yard converted to carriage sidings.

• Like 1

I talked to James and it didn’t fit anywhere else ;) In the main hall it didn’t quite fit across it and the step in the hall prevented turning it 90°. It was very much a favour for James so top marks to the group for taking on a one day show as a shakedown for the Peterborough one.

Great support for a local show that has picked itself up after a decline and returned with a bang in the last couple of years.

The improvement in the Poole show in the last couple of years is very much to do with the efforts of James together with the the help of the guys at MRS and TSCMRDG who have supported us with Kensall Green, Horfield and Bournemouth West.

Many thanks Guys

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I find myself wondering what BW might have looked like if it had been kept open post 1967. Could make for an interesting D&E layout with 33s coupling up to 4TCs and taking them on to Weymouth. Fewer platforms (with no trains to deal with from the S&D) and the goods yard converted to carriage sidings.

Taking this thought forward a bit, I have been Googling photos of BW. Was surprised to find one with a Met-Camm DMU. No caption unfortunately but presumably an excursion from somewhere. Via the SDJR?

Oh, and another oddity. An OS map that shows a road going over the station approaches rather than underneath. That would be useful in a modelling context.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting your  BW photos Paul - and yes I was concentrating on my station pilot stock shunting - NOT asleep as it may appear to some (or many).

We look forward to bringing it  to Wimborne next March.

At least they haven't compared you to the other primate in the picture :jester:

I enjoyed the coverage of this excellent layout in BRM, but one minor "error" that I did note was the pick-up goods with an ex-GW Toad brake van. Southern guards considered the Toads to be dangerous (and quite rightly so in my opinion) and refused blank to work them. If one got on to the Southern by accident, it didn't get very far and had to be returned to the WR out of use. I suspect that Toads weren't common user and were confined to the WR and other ex-GW lines.