The Bournemouth West Model Railway Group / Now known as The South Coast Model Railway Development Group / TSCMRDG

Ceptic

• RMweb Premium

Hello all

just an update. Following the faults we experienced at Peterborough (which didn't manifest themselves at Poole previously) we have had a bit of head scratching. Essentially the problems we had were under 3 categories, baseboard joins, track and electrical. Dave has spent a lot of time sorting out the joins and a better system of erecting and levelling the layout will be deployed at Wimborne. I took the plunge and replaced the double slip with a new one - time will tell if it's more reliable than its predecessor but tests so far are positive. On the electrics side I've completely reworked the Loconet cables which should mean more reliability and easier set up.

Wimborne show will reveal if we have cracked  it or not, as any amount of testing is not the same as exhibition conditions. We are fortunate to have the use of Paul's wonderful real steam locos for Wimborne and we have a very special guest on Saturday so we need to be at our best. See you there.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Definitely star of Wimrail for me, when I could get away for long enough, to watch it, and find a gap in the crowd.  Wonderful modelling, busy operation and a great sense of the location. 

Sound was very impressive as well, and just the right level; you heard the loco as it came past you, and it faded into the distance.

Thanks very much much for bringing it.

Cheers, Dave.

PS  I didn t get to see the Pines Express though.

• RMweb Gold

Well it was always busy but I got to watch several times as I passed and saw plenty of action, and the Pines Dave ;) . Looking forward to seeing the smoke unit become available because it’s the best small scale effect I’ve seen. Lovely layout!

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

It was a great pleasure to meet up with Roger and his team along with S&D Driver Peter Smith at the Wimborne Show on Saturday. It is the first time I have seen the layout 'in the flesh' and consider it to be top ranking. I look forward to seeing it again one day.

As discussed with Roger, I will have some more STNs shortly.

I know Peter will be assisting with getting some of the 'prototypical operation' details sorted over time. In the meantime, my attached photo shows Peter (on your left) with Roger discussing one such move.

Kind regards to all the team!

Brian

IMG_2872.JPG

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, steve45 said:

Just wondering, when is the layout next being exhibited?

Quote number??? has the answer, where have the numbers gone?.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Bournemouth West has two shows this year. Wimborne on March 16/17 and the Hornby Great Electric Train Show October 12/13.

Mike.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello all.

Not a lot of action on this thread recently because, well, -- not a great deal has been going on. The group have been concentrating on our other exhibition layout, New Kensal Green, which has had two outings this year, at Ally  Pally and Railex.

We are now looking to prepare BW for the Hornby Great Electric Train Show in October. In the main this involves a deal of fairly boring jobs like making some transport covers for the remaining 3 boards which currently don't have them. We have, though taken the decision to completely replace the transformers that power the layout for track, points, Pm42 and the routing system, as well as providing a BUS for lighting should we deceide to add some in the future. A few tweaks are being done on the scenic front, then testing from the end of August. Hopefully we will also have some of the new Hornby Bulleid shorties on the Bristol and Bath trains by October.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Hornby magazine have given a good spread in their August issue (out yesterday). You can clearly read the instructions on the carriage washer. The competing speed restriction sign has been removed (see previous comments) however if operators stuck to a scale 3mph I don't think we'd ever finish a sequence!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello Roger

As noted by Peter Smith at the show, there were many occasions where trains 'backing out' would need to 'get a run up' and so pass through the washer faster than 3mph. It wouldn't be 'dramatic speed', but fast enough for you to counter any adverse comments.:)

Brian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello Roger

Firstly, very pleased to see the article in Hornby Magazine. 

The group may like to be aware of the posting I sent to the Books section yesterday...

Brian

Revised  book: The Somerset & Dorset From The Footplate (Peter Smith)

Hello everyone

I thought you might like to know that Peter Smith's previously hardback book of the above title has been been re-typeset, proofread at the minimum by Peter himself and published by Crecy recently as a paperback. The old photos have been replaced by a 32pp art paper section towards the middle, most pages having two photos per page - and many of these will not have been seen before.

The original book has been out of print for many years and I'm sure you will welcome its return. As many of you will be aware, I know Peter very well - but am posting this 'for information'.

Size: 198 x 129mm (Please note that my photo may make the book look bigger than it actually is!)
Pages: 288 + 32pp B&W photo section
Publisher: A Goodall paperback from Crecy Publishing
Price: £9.95

IMG_4458.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

I do not often buy a model Railway magazine, and certainly very rarely for the ability to just see one article. But I am an occasional operator of the Taunton model Railway group's model of Bath Green Park, (I will be with it at the Avon Valley Railway this coming weekend, August 3rd and 4th 2019) and it was one of their members who drew my attention to the August 2019 issue of Hornby magazine.  As a child, with parents living in Malvern in Worcestershire and grandparents living in Bournemouth, riding to and from the two places (well either Cheltenham or Gloucester to Bournemouth West that is) on the Pines express was a fairly regular occurrence. So it was lovely to see the model of Bournemouth West, and I look forward to seeing it at an exhibition somewhere at which we ourselves (the Tandy family, owners of the vintage O gauge model railway Templeford, a layout that is directly at the other end of the chronological spectrum to the model of Bournemouth West, i.e. O gauge coarse scale with virtually every item running having being built before the Second World War ) will also be exhibiting. (We shall be at Spalding in November this year, and Alexandra Palace in March 2020.)  No prizes then as to why our terminus is called Templeford West. (Nothing like the real place, but we can at least replicate the trains in the 1930s era.)

Claire

https://templeford.myfreesites.net/page-9-templeford-west

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Claire RJ said:

I do not often buy a model Railway magazine, and certainly very rarely for the ability to just see one article. But I am an occasional operator of the Taunton model Railway group's model of Bath Green Park, (I will be with it at the Avon Valley Railway this coming weekend, August 3rd and 4th 2019) and it was one of their members who drew my attention to the August 2019 issue of Hornby magazine.  As a child, with parents living in Malvern in Worcestershire and grandparents living in Bournemouth, riding to and from the two places (well either Cheltenham or Gloucester to Bournemouth West that is) on the Pines express was a fairly regular occurrence. So it was lovely to see the model of Bournemouth West, and I look forward to seeing it at an exhibition somewhere at which we ourselves (the Tandy family, owners of the vintage O gauge model railway Templeford, a layout that is directly at the other end of the chronological spectrum to the model of Bournemouth West, i.e. O gauge coarse scale with virtually every item running having being built before the Second World War ) will also be exhibiting. (We shall be at Spalding in November this year, and Alexandra Palace in March 2020.)  No prizes then as to why our terminus is called Templeford West. (Nothing like the real place, but we can at least replicate the trains in the 1930s era.)

Claire

https://templeford.myfreesites.net/page-9-templeford-west

Claire

Many thanks for your comments and I'm glad you enjoyed the article. I'm sure we will meet up somewhere on the exhibition circuit. Next year 2020, Bournemouth West is on tour "up North" at Doncaster in February and Wigan in October. The following year,2021, we go to Stafford in February and Aylesbury Railex in May.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well only 2weeks to go to the Hornby Great Electric Train Show at Milton Keynes. We've been busy testing since August so I'm hoping it will all go well. On the stock side some of the new Hornby Bullieds will be making an appearance and we will have some more of Paul's steam fitted locos on show, including a 9F on the Pines and a Lord Nelson on a Waterloo service, complete with true 8 beats per revolution synchronised sound and smoke. Have also added even more trees which takes the total on the layout to well over 100 I think.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello Roger

Good to see you and the layout at Milton Keynes today. I was hoping that my good friend, Glen Woods, would be able to see you, but he had to cancel his trip up here due to an arm problem. He'll catch up with you one day as I know he is very keen to see the layout.

All the best

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Hello again Roger

I have just been speaking with Peter Smith and he has given me the sad news that Tony Richardson - G.A. Richardson, the well-known S&D photographer who supplied many of the photos for Peter's book above - has sadly passed away. Fortunately, Tony was able to see the book in good time.

For the moment, I don't know what will happen to all his photos but Peter will keep me informed.

All the best

Brian

• Friendly/supportive 2

On ‎30‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 13:41, Roger Sunderland said:

Well only 2weeks to go to the Hornby Great Electric Train Show at Milton Keynes. We've been busy testing since August so I'm hoping it will all go well. On the stock side some of the new Hornby Bullieds will be making an appearance and we will have some more of Paul's steam fitted locos on show, including a 9F on the Pines and a Lord Nelson on a Waterloo service, complete with true 8 beats per revolution synchronised sound and smoke. Have also added even more trees which takes the total on the layout to well over 100 I think.

It has to be some of the most realistic steam I have seen done in 4mm scale. Would Paul ever consider writing or explaining how it is done ? 

I'd love to have a go at recreating that myself. 

Regards

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Brian. Sad news about Tony Richardson. I do hope his photos are preserved for posterity.

Pete N92. Thanks for the comments about the steam although we had an occasional draft at MK which made it drift a bit. Paul was an electronics engineer before retiring and this project is his all consuming passion. Wether it will reach a marketable form any time soon I cannot say, we are just fortunate to be a test bed for his invention.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Just about fully recovered from the Hornby Great Electric Train Show. What a show it was! 

The layout ran as well as it has ever done, only one sprung point blade over the 2 days. Not only that but we won the Hornby magazine award for " Layout of the year" as voted for by readers. Then we also won the cup for best scenic feature, awarded and presented by Greenscene for the gardens and allotments on the layout. We were all absolutely thrilled and a big thanks to all the people who voted for us.

Next up for Bournemouth West is the BRM exhibition at Doncaster in February. Let's hope it doesn't snow!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...

Just a timely reminder to any thread followers - the layout will be having its first of only three outings this year

at the BRM Doncaster Festival of BR Modelling on Feb.8th and 9th.

Paul will be bringing at least one more "steam" fitted loco to us for testing this week, we aim to take around a dozen

to the show, which we have always found to be an excellent event with a wide variety of layouts and traders.

Please make yourself known to us if you follow the thread, or just want to discuss the any aspect of the layout, we 

like to natter !

Chris Knight

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Evertonian said:

Just a timely reminder to any thread followers - the layout will be having its first of only three outings this year

at the BRM Doncaster Festival of BR Modelling on Feb.8th and 9th.

Paul will be bringing at least one more "steam" fitted loco to us for testing this week, we aim to take around a dozen

to the show, which we have always found to be an excellent event with a wide variety of layouts and traders.

Please make yourself known to us if you follow the thread, or just want to discuss the any aspect of the layout, we 

like to natter !

Chris Knight

I need a trip up to Yorkshire to do some research for Dewsbury. Might try to combine with the Doncaster Show. Would be my third viewing of Bournemouth West. Fabulous layout that works so much better than many on the circuit.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1