The Bournemouth West Model Railway Group / Now known as The South Coast Model Railway Development Group / TSCMRDG

Ceptic

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses. Been to the semgonline.org, and helpful it was-but the period I'm trying to model seems to fall between two stools- blood and custard and the relaxation that happened in '57, when BR seems to have allowed some regional variation. The conclusion I've reached is that most main-line stock was blood and custard, some stock (probably branch sets) wouldn't have been repainted and might therefore have been Southern green, and strengthening coaches added to stock for inter-regional trains like the Pines might have included colours such as maroon, depending on where the stock was assembled for that specific service... does that make sense to anyone?:dontknow:

ATB

David

It wasn't the branch sets that may have remained in SR green but rather some of the Maunsell 3 coach sets used on the 'local' service from Bournemouth up to Bath (sometimes starting or terminating at Templecombe). These sets weren't used on the branch. 

There is a photo of an 8 coach Bournemouth-Bristol service where half the coaches are not crimson & cream (so either BR maroon or still LMS maroon ?). In 1956, coaches that look like strengtheners are still in C&C, but there is one that looks like a Gresley and it's not in C&C (still teak, surely not ?)   

Hi Combe Martin,

Sorry I should have clarified, when I said branch sets, what I meant was any set running from BW providing local services, stopping at most if not all stations such as to Salisbury via West Moors, to Southampton, towards Weymouth and of course locals to Templecombe. I've seen the Gresley buffet pics- could/did they ever paint teak coaches? My real handicap is not having a 1956 SR winter timetable, as previously commented, and therefore no knowing how many services started from or terminated at BW, and their destinations or place of origin.

ATB

David 

The Gresley Restaurant and buffet cars were repainted, first into crimson & cream and latterly maroon, but they weren't used on the 'Pines' because it didn't originate on the former LNER.  Some other services from the North East into Bournemouth West via Oxford did carry a Gresley restaurant car because they originated on the former LNER, but I don't know which ones. A timetable will help you. I don't think the Hornby model is the correct one, (see earlier in this thread from page 16 April 15th onward where I've outlined what I found about them and what the nice gentlemen who built Bournemouth West did to get a correct one).  

A lot of BR Southern Region timetables were available for sale on Ebay when I looked but not a winter 1955/56 one.  You may have to use a slightly later one and assume the timetable hadn't changed much.    

Edited by Combe Martin

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

Slight change of direction- I'm trying to get a handle on what goods would have flowed in and out of Bournemouth/Poole conurbation in the mid-1950s. To my knowledge, there were 3 main goods yards- the old Bournemouth East depot, Bournemouth West and Poole. Industries I know of in the area include ball clay from the Purbecks, finished pottery goods from various potteries in Parkstone and Branksome, timber (possibly) from Hamworthy and coal inwards for Bournemouth gas works, possibly Poole gas works and Poole power station, though the last two may have been by coaster. I'm not sure what perishable goods (milk, fruit, vegetables, meat etc) would have come in by rail, and to where...

I'm trying to find out so that I can run reasonably accurate goods trains on my layout, which includes a very inferior BW... all help gratefully received.

ATB

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi Arctica

my knowledge is fairly limited on the goods side, I’m afraid. Yo are spot on with the facilities, the main yards were Bournemouth East and Poole. The yard at West was very small and apart from the usual local merchandise, which could consist of almost anything, coal and the other commodities you mention, there wasn’t much else. Only a pick up goods called there and I’m not.sure if that was daily. To be honest the yard sidings were mainly used for storing coaching stock, especially at busy times. One thing I have seen in photos are a number of blue spot fish vans. I believe these were worked up from Poole quays and added to London trains.

There are some good pics of goods traffic from Bournemouth East in the book, “ Brish Railways operating history” - Sourhern Region part 3 - Wessex publishes by Xpress Publishers, if you can get hold of a copy.

• RMweb Premium

Just some further info from the above book. In the late 50s there were 10 goods arrivals at Bournemouth Central goods And 11 departures daily.

Poole goods had 17 arrivals and 17 departures.

Bournemouth West has 2 arrivals and 2 departures 

Hamworthy goods 3 arrivals and3 departures 

Hamworthy junction goods had 12 arrivals and 16 departures- and was the busiest .

Hi Roger,

Thanks for this- I'd completely forgotten about Hamworthy Junction! It makes sense of course- it was the focal point for all kinds of traffic- from the quays at Hamworthy off the branch, off the Swanage branch, Weymouth (presumably quite busy with seasonal produce from the Channel Isles), traffic to/from the West Moors line as well as the S&D and all the stations on "the Old Road" to Brockenhurst and Poole/Bournemouth conurbations. I'll see if I can find a copy of the book you mention, or if the SeMG online have any pics... quite a surprising range really, when you think about it, although I think the Poole Quay tramway had closed by the mid 1950s- was it 1952?

Good talking to you again...

ATB

David

On 23/08/2020 at 22:28, arctica said:

... all help gratefully received.

ATB

David

On 24/08/2020 at 12:07, Roger Sunderland said:

There are some good pics of goods traffic from Bournemouth East in the book, “ Brish Railways operating history” - Sourhern Region part 3 - Wessex publishes by Xpress Publishers, if you can get hold of a copy.

David,

If you're struggling to get a copy of this book, PM me I have a copy - bought only last year (new) and it doesn't really serve my needs......

On 19/04/2020 at 18:00, Roger Sunderland said:

We run a Comet LMS 12 wheel restaurant car in The Pines coupled to a Stanier open 2nd to give extra dining space. I’ve never seen a Gresley restaurant in the Pines, not to say it didn’t ever happen though. The York to BW train did have a Gresley car in with all Mk1s but this train ran via Oxford, where it changed engines, often resulting in a GWR Hall taking the train on to Bournemouth. This is how we run it on the layout (keeps our GWR fraternity happy.)

There are quite a few “reworked” Bachmann Bullieds on the layout including 2 Bournemouth line sets using brass overlay sides.

I've only just got round to catching up with this excellent thread having seen 'Bournemouth West' in the flesh, as it were, at Doncaster in February and being mightily impressed with both the modelling on display and the standard of operation.

Prior to the discussion about Gresley Buffet Cars, there was also reference to the catering vehicle(s) used in the 'Pines Express'. I travelled on the Up Pines (or a relief) in August 1959 returning from a family holiday from Bournemouth to Crewe. I have a clear and distinct memory of seeing 'Combe Martin' standing on the siding adjacent to Platform 6, which is the Platform from which our train departed. I think the train engine was a BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0.

I distinctly remember travelling in an ex-LMS Period 2 open coach, which would have been either a (Restaurant) Open Second or a Composite Open. Although the tables were not laid up for dining, we had lunch in the same same coach in which we made the whole journey. Our tables were laid up prior to lunch being served and cleared immediately afterwards.

Until the widespread introduction of Mark 1 catering vehicles from about 1960, the LMR made extensive use of older LMS built stock to offer meals on its trains. The use of such vehicles as Period 2 stock coming to an end around the end of 1962. 

In fact the Poole Quay tramway staggered on to early 1960, the loss of the bunker coal for the Cosens pleasure steamers being the final nail, if my memory of the Kew closure file serves me correctly. Rather like in Weymouth at the moment, the local authority had long been keen to be rid of the tracks in the highway. 

Colin

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/08/2020 at 21:36, colin.divall said:

In fact the Poole Quay tramway staggered on to early 1960, the loss of the bunker coal for the Cosens pleasure steamers being the final nail, if my memory of the Kew closure file serves me correctly. Rather like in Weymouth at the moment, the local authority had long been keen to be rid of the tracks in the highway. 

Colin

Looks like they will start digging up the rails along Weymouth quay in October according to latest reports. A sad day even though they will never be used again for their intended purpose.

Martyn

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Bournemouth West has been hibernating for over a year now - last outing at Doncaster in February 2020.

we are all, therefore, both thrilled and amazed that we have come first in BRMs 2020 layout of the year competition!

A big thank you to all  out there who voted for us - means a lot to us!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 13

• RMweb Premium

Things are still very much up in the air at the moment because of Covid. All the exhibitions we were booked into are having to be rescheduled which has a knock on effect. As of now we are scheduled to appear at Stafford in Feb 2022 and Southampton in Jan 2023.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 18/09/2020 at 19:28, GeraldH said:

There was also a fair sized goods yard at Boscombe Station.

Also a slightly smaller one within the Branksome triangle. Mostly domestic coal distribution.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well it’s been a very long time! COVID and a number of other factors ( none of us are getting any younger and people have other things in their lives going on) mean BW has been in store for 2 years this coming February. 
However………. The news is , all being well, we will be back up and running this year. We have decided to concentrate on “local” shows. The demands of travelling long distances is just too great so we are due to appear at the New Milton show in July this year. BUT, watch this space as we may have a very important announcement for April 2022!!!

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Combe Martin said:

I live in Ramsgate, but being a long standing S&D modeller, I'll be quite happy to travel to your area to see Bournemouth West, especially as I missed it before because of work.   

Hello Peter

It will be worth the journey!

Brian

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well it is now official. We will be supporting Simon George‘s wonderful “Heaton Lodge Junction” , Britains biggest model railway, at the Bath and West showground on April 8, 9 and 10. Now all we’ve got to do is get the layout up and working!!

Details of the show will be in the model press.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3