The Bournemouth West Model Railway Group / Now known as The South Coast Model Railway Development Group / TSCMRDG

Ceptic

Hi Chris. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through your and the MRG postings of Bournemouth West, when I found it on this site, not least because I worked in Bournemouth for some 21 years in the 80's and 90's and your pictures bring back memories of my time there, they're so accurate. The standard is superb, and as a Southern modeler I can only envy the amount of space you have to work in. I have been working on my own ( Southern) garage layout for the last ten years, and had given up hope of finding some decent buildings I could build for my terminus. Certainly parts of the main Bournemouth West buildings would suit, and I wondered if you could possibly let me know if it's possible to obtain the plans for them in 4mm scale? Would appreciate your input if poss.    

That could open the floodgates. I'm attempting to model a slightly compressed BW in N Gauge and would also be very interested in plans for the buildings, plus the signal box on the other side of the bridge.

• RMweb Premium

Hello all

We have plans for the station building, both original and revised. Also the goods shed, parcels offices, canopies and other bits and pieces. We obtained these from a chap in the Bournemouth Railway Circle who, in turn, obtained them from BR at Waterloo. He also has plans of most of Central station.

Carriage shed. Not sure which signal box you mean here. There are, to my knowledge, no photos of the Bournemouth West box, we worked from photos, but the next box at the junction is still standing, it's a listed building.

Working from the plans is very difficult and photos are also required. To help us our great friend Frank - Ceptic on RM Web - used "Sketchup" to draw us some fabulous three dimensional drawings of the buildings. Some of them are on this thread. It may be worthwhile sending a PM to him to ask about availability.

• Like 1

On page 24 of Southern Infrastructure (noodlebooks) 1922-34 Stations Signalling,Trackwork are 2 photos of the Junction Box. Opposite on page 25 is a tantalising glimpse of the Bournemouth West Box itself together with the gantry sporting an array of LSWR LQs. I think that the SRS diagram shows different signalling for the UQ era though.

I'm sure that I have it in the back of my mind that I have seen a better photo of the box.

• Like 1

Not sure which signal box you mean here. There are, to my knowledge, no photos of the Bournemouth West box, we worked from photos, but the next box at the junction is still standing, it's a listed building.

I meant Bournemouth West signal box, not the junction box. It's very hard to find any photographic evidence of this box - the only close-up of any real usefulness I've found is in 'Steaming Through West Hants', Peter Hay, Middleton Press, Plate 50. Even this only shows the 'London end' of the box, with BW station in the background.

I'm modelling 1929/30, so I'm stuck midway between LSWR and post-Word War II details. It's probably safe for me to use post-World War I LSWR details with SR livery applied, but I certainly have to be careful about BR-era details.

Working from the plans is very difficult and photos are also required. To help us our great friend Frank - Ceptic on RM Web - used "Sketchup" to draw us some fabulous three dimensional drawings of the buildings. Some of them are on this thread.

It may be worthwhile sending a PM to him to ask about availability.

Did that when the samples showed up in this very thread (see Post 77 for the sample pictures: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103932-the-bournemouth-west-model-railway-group-bwmrg/page-4).

• RMweb Premium

On page 24 of Southern Infrastructure (noodlebooks) 1922-34 Stations Signalling,Trackwork are 2 photos of the Junction Box. Opposite on page 25 is a tantalising glimpse of the Bournemouth West Box itself together with the gantry sporting an array of LSWR LQs. I think that the SRS diagram shows different signalling for the UQ era though.

I'm sure that I have it in the back of my mind that I have seen a better photo of the box.

Yes you're right Stephen. The early signalling included a gantry. The later day BR signalling was very different and pictures are available of all the signals at Bournemouth West up to the entrance to the carriage sheds. A Google search will bring up the signalling diagram also.

Hello all

We have plans for the station building, both original and revised. Also the goods shed, parcels offices, canopies and other bits and pieces. We obtained these from a chap in the Bournemouth Railway Circle who, in turn, obtained them from BR at Waterloo. He also has plans of most of Central station.

Carriage shed. Not sure which signal box you mean here. There are, to my knowledge, no photos of the Bournemouth West box, we worked from photos, but the next box at the junction is still standing, it's a listed building.

Working from the plans is very difficult and photos are also required. To help us our great friend Frank - Ceptic on RM Web - used "Sketchup" to draw us some fabulous three dimensional drawings of the buildings. Some of them are on this thread. It may be worthwhile sending a PM to him to ask about availability.

Mornin' Roger et all,

Further, to add my ha'peth's worth. Apart from the image shown as Plate 50 in Middleton's / Peter Hay's 'Steaming Through West Hants', we've got two reasonable photos of Bournemouth West station, (not junction) Signal box. Both are taken track-side from passing trains, One arriving B'm'th West  and one departing,  both Copyright. 

Apart from these, we've got the BTC 1962 Track / Building ground plan, but, alas, no detailed plans of the S/B itself, or photos from it's south side

The Sketchup drawing of the box was derived from the BTC ground-plan plus the two C/R photos, i.e. by counting bricks, measuring height / length / width / perspective etc. 

In this respect, I cannot guarantee it's accuracy, but, it's the best that I can produce given the information to hand. 

One (or five) thing(s) that has(have) changed is the replacing of the multi-paned sliding widow frames with panels made up of three large horizontal panes. I'm in the process of altering the drawing to show this.

Regarding the signal gantry, with it's six separate 'Home / Stop' arms, spanning all three tracks immediately west of the box. The most recent images (1926 ?) I have of this can be found at the bottom of page 25 of 'Southern Infrastructure 1922-1934' (Part 1), David Wallis & Noodle Books (Kevin Robertson), 2014, ISBN 978-1-909238-11-2,

and Plate 6 within 'Bournemouth to Evercreech Junction', Middleton Press, 1987,ISBN 0-906520-46-0, This one also pictures the 'Mysterious Obelisk' adjacent to the cabin's entrance, showing that it had been there for quite some time. 

See Roger's earlier thread regarding the bracket signal which replaced the gantry.  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96259-bournemouth-west-signals/

All the best,

Frank.

Apart from these, we've got the BTC 1962 Track / Building ground plan, but, alas, no detailed plans of the S/B itself, or photos from it's south side

The Sketchup drawing of the box was derived from the BTC ground-plan plus the two C/R photos, i.e. by counting bricks, measuring height / length / width / perspective etc. 

In this respect, I cannot guarantee it's accuracy, but, it's the best that I can produce given the information to hand. 

One (or five) thing(s) that has(have) changed is the replacing of the multi-paned sliding widow frames with panels made up of three large horizontal panes. I'm in the process of altering the drawing to show this.

I'd say that, given the amount of research and planning you've put into it, yours will be about the most accurate version possible of a box that no one can fully see in any photo. I look forward to seeing what it looks like after the change of windows.

If I can find an etched or plastic SR signalbox kit in N then I may be tempted to use that and just tweak it. It'll be facing away from the operator anyway, and positioned towards the back of the layout... But I'd still like it to look something like your finished version.

Regarding the signal gantry, with it's six separate 'Home / Stop' arms, spanning all three tracks immediately west of the box. The most recent images (1926 ?) I have of this can be found at the bottom of page 25 of 'Southern Infrastructure 1922-1934' (Part 1), David Wallis & Noodle Books (Kevin Robertson), 2014, ISBN 978-1-909238-11-2,

and Plate 6 within 'Bournemouth to Evercreech Junction', Middleton Press, 1987,ISBN 0-906520-46-0, This one also pictures the 'Mysterious Obelisk' adjacent to the cabin's entrance, showing that it had been there for quite some time. 

See Roger's earlier thread regarding the bracket signal which replaced the gantry.  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96259-bournemouth-west-signals/

Looking at the 'Bournemouth to Evercreech Junction' plate with a fresh eye, I can see by the loco's numbering that it's dated between 1924-1931. That's perfect.

Presumably the six home signals were used at this time to indicate which of the six platforms would be used by incoming services.

Thanks for the help

Peter

I'd say that, given the amount of research and planning you've put into it, yours will be about the most accurate version possible of a box that no one can fully see in any photo. I look forward to seeing what it looks like after the change of windows.

If I can find an etched or plastic SR signalbox kit in N then I may be tempted to use that and just tweak it. It'll be facing away from the operator anyway, and positioned towards the back of the layout... But I'd still like it to look something like your finished version.

Looking at the 'Bournemouth to Evercreech Junction' plate with a fresh eye, I can see by the loco's numbering that it's dated between 1924-1931. That's perfect.

Presumably the six home signals were used at this time to indicate which of the six platforms would be used by incoming services.

Thanks for the help

Peter

Don't forget that the starting signals were also all LQ at that time and that includes the shunt arms. Not Westinghouse discs. I do have a photo which shows such but is most likely copyright and I don't know the source. Think the change to UQ was around 1938-39

Edited by Stephen Freeman

Don't forget that the starting signals were also all LQ at that time and that includes the shunt arms. Not Westinghouse discs. I do have a photo which shows such but is most likely copyright and I don't know the source. Think the change to UQ was around 1938-39

Thanks Stephen.

I had meant to add, in my post, that the gantry signal arms were lower quadrant, but forgot to.

Cheers,

Frank.

A busy moment at Bournemouth West as MN No.35028 Clan Line arrives with an ex Waterloo train, whilst Standard 4MT No. 75001 heads for Bath on the S&D line.

Apologies if you've already explained this somewhere else in this thread but are the signals completely scratchbuilt or have you used some commercially available parts?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Apologies if you've already explained this somewhere else in this thread but are the signals completely scratchbuilt or have you used some commercially available parts?

Hi

The signals are built from a combination of brass parts from MSE and Alan Gibson and are faithful replicas of the signals at Bournemouth West being lower quadrant and of ex LSWR design. The SR shunt signals on the lower platform of the platform starters are non working but all the main arms are/will be operable via servos and will have delayed pull off and bounce on return.

Hi

The signals are built from a combination of brass parts from MSE and Alan Gibson and are faithful replicas of the signals at Bournemouth West being lower quadrant and of ex LSWR design. The SR shunt signals on the lower platform of the platform starters are non working but all the main arms are/will be operable via servos and will have delayed pull off and bounce on return.

I think Roger meant UQ (that's what they look like to me). As far as I know, all the signals were UQ in BR days but definitely LQ pre 1938,

I think Roger meant UQ (that's what they look like to me). As far as I know, all the signals were UQ in BR days but definitely LQ pre 1938,

Hi Stephen

Yes Roger having a senior moment there (poor old fella hasn't been too well lately) - all UQ at the period the model is set 1954 -62. The short video

highlights the requirement to motorise the signals as Roger mentioned,also the need to replace those backscenes !

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not sure if this is the right place as this is purely for info, but here goes.

The Bournemouth West Model Railway Group originally started out as a group of 5 individuals planning to build Bournemouth West in 00 scale. For various reasons that group ended up as just 2 people. We were renting premises from the Horfield Group who built and exhibited the very successful " Horfield", the BR(WR) 4 track main line layout which has been on the exhibition circuit for over 12 years and Kesall Green, which, in its new revised format, has already been exhibited at 3 shows and many many more in its previous format. Taking everything into account, not least of which was that it was impossible for 2 of us to exhibit Bournemouth West, we agreed to pool our resources and BW was exhibited at Swindon under the "Horfield Group" banner.

However, a couple of months ago Horfield was retired (after all it was 15 years old) so a new group has been formed and will be called "South Coast Railway Modellers Development group" or SCRMD group for short. This group will have responsibility for Bournemouth West, Kensall Green and........a new and exiting 40' BR(WR) mainline layout to be developed over the next 2-3 years.

Our exhibition manager is Chris Knight and he can be contacted by email at cpaknight@aol.com.

The situation was becoming a bit confusing so I hope this clears things up a bit.

• Like 1

Shame it's not 'South Coast Railway Extremely Able Modellers Encouraging Development'... SCREAMED ;)

Yes you're right Ian, probably a more suitable acronym as in common with most modellers we all have those "moments" -  our long standing remedy is

to pack up tools for the night and rapidly make tracks for the pub.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all

Just an update. Work continues on the new fiddle yard and some more detailing work has been done on the layout. For info we will be taking the layout to Poole show which is on Sunday 4th November 2018. Also to the BRM Peterborough show whose dates have now moved to 8/9 December 2018. A couple of shots taken in the club rooms.

post-20301-0-96938600-1527265731_thumb.jpeg

M7 simmers in the goods yard

post-20301-0-70664900-1527265802_thumb.jpeg

2P on a Bristol service.

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Following this with great interest as its my local station and always been a dream of mine to model bournemouth west.

I would realy like to hear and see more about this layout and possibly even volunteer to help in some way, from a quick

google the layout is actualy based relatively close to the station site, as am I.

Realy enjoyed reading this thread.... Excelent work to all involved in this epic venture and hope it carries on the way its going, VERY IMPRESSEIVE!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The new fiddle yard and traverser are finished. You may be able to work it out from the attached pictures, but essentially......

All new boards, lovingly constructed by our friends and landlords at Model Railway Solutions - they fit together brilliantly and all have fold up integral legs. The 3 tracks, in, out and carriage washer can access any track of a 7 track traverser, which is 12 foot long. This traverser can then access the storage sidings, of which there are 11, again 12 feet long. The whole thing is some 32 foot in length.

post-20301-0-33389300-1535635879_thumb.jpeg

post-20301-0-76076800-1535635920_thumb.jpeg

post-20301-0-76076800-1535635920_thumb.jpeg

post-20301-0-78216100-1535635954_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Roger Sunderland
  • Like 10