The Bournemouth West Model Railway Group / Now known as The South Coast Model Railway Development Group / TSCMRDG

Ceptic

• RMweb Gold

Hello again Roger

Having just posted the above, I have literally just found a photo of the carriage washing plant and it clearly says:

Speed to be reduced to 3mph.

Another sign below that reads:

Trains must not exceed 3mph during washing operations and 4mph when shunting movements are made through the machine.

I'm not saying you are shunting too fast - just that the 10mph sign at that position needs ratification. If you have a photo, then all well and good.

The photo is on page 21 of Bournemouth & Southampton Steam, 1947-1967, by Colin Boocock.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ian

As noted above, it was 3mph when the plant was operating and 4mph for shunt moves. My query is to whether BR had a 10mph restriction sign.

The relevant Appendix may hold the clue. I don't have one but will ask around. 

Brian

I think that there may well have been a 10mph restriction sign but it applied to the crossovers rather than the carriage washer.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks all. The speed restriction sign should apply to the double slip not the carriage washer. As far as I'm aware, there wasn't a speed restriction post sign before the CW but the relevant notices were on the CW itself. We have modelled these correctly by reducing down these notices. They can actually be read with a magnifying glass and- yes- the speed limit was 3mph. To achieve this speed in model form would probably send people to sleep so w use a bit of modellers licence. Operators do get chastised though if they go too fast.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Joseph

The 10mph sign shown in the video is adjacent to the carriage washer line. 

Brian

Yes, I appreciate that. But if it were placed on the other side of the carriage washer (station side), it would not be visible to the drivers.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Joseph

Am I missing something? The 10mph sign I am referring to is the carriage sidings side of the washer and applies towards the station - away from the slip.

Brian

I agree with you there. It would be over the crossovers not the slip.

• RMweb Gold

Hello both

I have been talking under something of a misapprehension.

Now having looked back through the layout photos, I hadn't appreciated that the track layout has been amended to suit the model. The slip on the prototype is further back than that modelled.

However, the good outcome is that the speed restriction will be moved. Another step forward.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Hello both

I have been talking under something of a misapprehension.

Now having looked back through the layout photos, I hadn't appreciated that the track layout has been amended to suit the model. The slip on the prototype is further back than that modelled.

However, the good outcome is that the speed restriction will be moved. Another step forward.

Brian

If the OS maps are to be believed (always a serious caveat!), that trailing lead through the slip has moved a bit over the years, presumably to accommodate longer goods trains. The location on the layout would have been right in the 1940s but changed at some later date.

The carriage washer is closer to the station throat on the model than it is shown on maps. But few model railways can be built without some compromise.

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

The really great thing about such discussions is that it will invariably spark off a memory from Peter Smith.

This has been no exception...when we meet with Peter at Wimborne, he will explain a very interesting operation through the washer that will have viewers of the layout at exhibitions intrigued! I'm sure you will be able to replicate it.

Brian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello everyone

The really great thing about such discussions is that it will invariably spark off a memory from Peter Smith.

This has been no exception...when we meet with Peter at Wimborne, he will explain a very interesting operation through the washer that will have viewers of the layout at exhibitions intrigued! I'm sure you will be able to replicate it.

Brian

Speaking of carriage washers. I had a great old friend who was a fireman at Kings Cross. They would often take empty stock through the carriage washer at Holloway. Occasionally, much to the rage of the operator, they would take the engine - usually an L1 - through as well...

There again, wasn't it one of OVS's ideas that the Pacifics could be cleaned by that means? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry but it's probably unlikely, the travelling is a bit much for some of us old stagers. It's taken several days to get over Peterborough!

Flights up to Scotland can be had quite cheaply. You just need a couple of younger folk to drive the van up there.

• 1 month later...

I too think that the award is richly deserved--it is railway modelling at its very best, providing both enjoyment and inspiration to all who go to see it.  Very well done.

I went to view it again at Peterborough and will no doubt be seeing it in the not too distant future

Will you please let me know where you will be exhibiting B.W. this year.

best regards,

Ed Plant

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I too think that the award is richly deserved--it is railway modelling at its very best, providing both enjoyment and inspiration to all who go to see it.  Very well done.

I went to view it again at Peterborough and will no doubt be seeing it in the not too distant future

Will you please let me know where you will be exhibiting B.W. this year.

best regards,

Ed Plant

Thanks for the kind words guys. Bournemouth West has two shows this year. Wimborne on March 16/17 and the Hornby Great Electric Train Show October 12/13.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...