The Bournemouth West Model Railway Group / Now known as The South Coast Model Railway Development Group / TSCMRDG

Ceptic

Thanks for the kind comments Joseph and the interest in future appearances of BW.

We will be exhibiting at Wigan on 3rd/4th October and finally this year at Eurospoor, Utrecht on Oct.30th/31st/Nov 1st, although

with Roger S. away on holiday at present I am unsure if the latter has been fully finalised.

Chris K

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
10 minutes ago, Roger Sunderland said:

I’m delighted to say we’ve just won the Silver award for layout of the year in the BRM awards. There were some fantastic layouts in the mix so - doubly delighted. Thanks to everyone who voted for us.

4C503586-6282-44E9-8C79-2909AD577C82.jpeg

Well done Roger!

If you look at the full results https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/151832-british-railway-modelling-awards-2019-the-results/  you'll see it was a very close run thing!

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

Indeed. No disrespect to the wonderful Copenhagen Fields, but perhaps it's time the award was restricted to newly exhibited layouts. 

The award isnt restricted to exhibition layouts. Little Muddle is a home based layout, Heaton lodge is still in its basement under construction and hasn't yet attended a show.

The award is for peoples favourite layout that they've seen either at a show, in magazines, or on forums.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

Indeed. No disrespect to the wonderful Copenhagen Fields, but perhaps it's time the award was restricted to newly exhibited layouts. 

To be fair, though, Copenhagen Fields (and other long-term projects like it) are still evolving with bits being upgraded or added. Comparing it to magazine photos even a few years old reveal a surprising number of differences.

Bournemouth West will, I hope, continue to delight and impress on the exhibition circuit for a good few years yet, in the same way that CF has.

John  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Apologies, but I've only just discovered this thread.  Back in 2018 there was various discussion about the make up of various weekday services over the S&D.  I've done extensive photographic research of loco's and coaching stock used on the S&D by wading through dozens of the S&D and other picture books, magazines and online photos and the S&D Trust magazine 'Pines Express' and I do have a lot. 

Now, I'm away from home at the moment (and have been for some while) and certainly no chance of getting home at the moment, so I havn't got access to it, but working from memory there are a few things I can recall that I've not seen mentioned here.

The 13.10 Up service to Bath and Bristol (or was it 11.10) was comprised of WR stock.  I cant remember the corresponding service it came down on.

Bulleid coaches, (the Bachmann type), didn't appear on the local services until the new Hornby type 59 foot Bulleid coaches disappeared (the end of 1963), so 1964 really (no doubt someone will say if I look in XYZ book on page no nn there is one, so I'm quite happy to be so informed).

There probably was some Bulleid stock on the Exmouth - Cleethorpes sometimes as it was a real 'mixed bag' bit it didn't run via Bournemouth.

So basically ... up to late 1961 ... Maunsell stock in the 390-399 range and occasionally 44n

1962-1963 ........... Bulleid 59 foot stock

1964 onward ...... Bulleid 64 foot stock, BR Mk1s and virtually anything   

Again from memory, LMR Stanier stock could appear at any time.

One other.  The Maunsell Moguls appeared in trials in the early 50's but wer'nt used again. Or were they ?

I once found a photo (in the S&D Trust Magazine) of an N on the weekday 13.10 up to Bath, just leaving Bournemouth.  I've had the impression that it wasn't the only time, but the photographers wer'nt usually out during the week.   

Oh, and Hello Brian Mac.

Peter W.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Combe Martin said:

Apologies, but I've only just discovered this thread.  Back in 2018 there was various discussion about the make up of various weekday services over the S&D.  I've done extensive photographic research of loco's and coaching stock used on the S&D by wading through dozens of the S&D and other picture books, magazines and online photos and the S&D Trust magazine 'Pines Express' and I do have a lot. 

Now, I'm away from home at the moment (and have been for some while) and certainly no chance of getting home at the moment, so I havn't got access to it, but working from memory there are a few things I can recall that I've not seen mentioned here.

The 13.10 Up service to Bath and Bristol (or was it 11.10) was comprised of WR stock.  I cant remember the corresponding service it came down on.

Bulleid coaches, (the Bachmann type), didn't appear on the local services until the new Hornby type 59 foot Bulleid coaches disappeared (the end of 1963), so 1964 really (no doubt someone will say if I look in XYZ book on page no nn there is one, so I'm quite happy to be so informed).

There probably was some Bulleid stock on the Exmouth - Cleethorpes sometimes as it was a real 'mixed bag' bit it didn't run via Bournemouth.

So basically ... up to late 1961 ... Maunsell stock in the 390-399 range and occasionally 44n

1962-1963 ........... Bulleid 59 foot stock

1964 onward ...... Bulleid 64 foot stock, BR Mk1s and virtually anything   

Again from memory, LMR Stanier stock could appear at any time.

One other.  The Maunsell Moguls appeared in trials in the early 50's but wer'nt used again. Or were they ?

I once found a photo (in the S&D Trust Magazine) of an N on the weekday 13.10 up to Bath, just leaving Bournemouth.  I've had the impression that it wasn't the only time, but the photographers wer'nt usually out during the week.   

Oh, and Hello Brian Mac.

Peter W.

IIRC some 59' Bulleid 3-sets appeared on the S&D for a while in either 1960 or 1961 but they were recalled to the Southern Region for the summer season.

John

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments Combe Martin. Brian McDermott is definitely your man here, he provided us with info for the services we run on the layout. Currently we operate a Bristol service comprising a set of WR Coletts (4) and a Bulleid 59' set (3). This tallies with a photo Brian provided as running around 1960-61. Occasionally we substitute a Stanier 3 set for the Bullieds. Photos show the Bristol trains were very mixed and could vary between 3 and 11 coaches. We also run a Bath service comprising a Bulleid 59' 3 set.

The West - Evercreech service usually comprises a Maunsell 3 set and we run a local West-Templecombe comprising a Maunsel 2 car set and a loose LMS non corridor coach.

From what I can tell 64' Bullieds didn't come in till later on but no doubt someone will find a photo to disprove this!

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Combe Martin said:

I think it was the 6.55am down service (6.05am off Bristol). Over the years the up service left Bournemouth at 12.55pm, 1.08pm on Saturdays and 1.10pm on weekdays. There are some useful carriage working notices on Robert Carroll's carriage group.

Kind regards,

Iain

Sorry about the 'drip feed' of info from my memory, but as I said earlier I'm away from home where all my notes are.

The 'Pines' was the only S&D service to run a restaurant car (which I'm sure you'll know), but there's no evidence that a Gresley Restaurant was ever used (I was hoping to use the Hornby one). There's none in photos and Brian Mac and his expert contacts all confirmed this when I asked him a few years back.   I mention it because I have seen at least one S&D layout use one.  

Just in case you were ever going to run a 1964 service, as well as 3 coach 64 foot Bulleid and SR Mk1 sets, there were a few SR 3 coach 'hybrid' sets too.   These comprised of 2 MK1 brake seconds sandwiching a Bulleid composite.  There's quite a few pictures of set 557, but I've also seen 554 and there's at least one pic of 2 coupled together neither of which is 557 if the pictures dates and times are correct.

I know the earlier Bachmann Bulleid coaches are not perfect (not sure when the new ones will appear) but they can be improved a lot by fitting flush glazing and first class and no smoking transfers to the windows, and there's plenty more that can be done too, paint the interior, corridor hand rail, buffers.   

Peter W.  

Edited by Combe Martin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We run a Comet LMS 12 wheel restaurant car in The Pines coupled to a Stanier open 2nd to give extra dining space. I’ve never seen a Gresley restaurant in the Pines, not to say it didn’t ever happen though. The York to BW train did have a Gresley car in with all Mk1s but this train ran via Oxford, where it changed engines, often resulting in a GWR Hall taking the train on to Bournemouth. This is how we run it on the layout (keeps our GWR fraternity happy.)

There are quite a few “reworked” Bachmann Bullieds on the layout including 2 Bournemouth line sets using brass overlay sides.

• Like 1

Many thanks for that.   I've since picked up from somewhere else that the Gresley restaurant cars were kept on the former LNER lines because they had charging points for them which other lines didn't have.  Presumably that means that cooking in a Gresley was electric rather than from a gas cylinder ?, suggesting that Stanier and MK1 restaurant cars do use gas ??

I suppose then that your York service had a Gresley because it started on the LNER.  I wonder if the batteries were flat for the return trip ?

Well having 'put my neck on the line' by saying that the Gresley restaurant cars didn't work away from the LNER (see above), I've found even more info about them and being used on the Southern out of Waterloo in the last days of steam to Weymouth and Exeter, even a maroon one marshalled in a blue/grey set behind a Warship !

So, who knows ?, maybe my earlier info referred to a different diagram version, and there were some gas ones that could wander.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Although not SDJR, a Gresley buffet car in blue and grey was in regular use on the NE-SW service, and photos were published in (amongst others) the Railway Modeller in the mid 1970s.

2 hours ago, Regularity said:

Although not SDJR, a Gresley buffet car in blue and grey was in regular use on the NE-SW service, and photos were published in (amongst others) the Railway Modeller in the mid 1970s.

Yes, I believe there was only 1 blue/grey one (no doubt someone may know better) and Hornby did produce it at one point.

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Combe Martin said:

Yes, I believe there was only 1 blue/grey one (no doubt someone may know better) and Hornby did produce it at one point.

There were a few painted in blue & grey, but one was allocated to the WR which might be what you're thinking of.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, 31A said:

There were a few painted in blue & grey, but one was allocated to the WR which might be what you're thinking of.

Yes, I thought afterwards I might have been sticking my neck out again on this one.

I must hunt for where I saw it quoted that the Gresley restaurants were kept on the LNER.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Combe Martin said:

There may have been 5, I think. Unfortunately, my reference materials are somewhere else and inaccessible even if I was there!

• Like 1