Hadlow Road MPD 7mm

Ressaldar

I have at last sorted out a new layout plan for the workshop and one that I hopefully get further than all previous attempts, especially in 7mm

Location is 'somewhere in the South West' with the period set in the early/middle sixties so that I can run steam and diesel, but will, as is the case with most of us, see later period rolling stock - supposedly on test, once constructed/bought.

post-6951-0-14896600-1444820617_thumb.jpg

I am using the existing boards and where possible the recovered track from the last effort. The only new track requirements are - one left hand point and the track for the traverser. I am changing form Cobalt point motors (they have proved too troublesome in the past) and going back to basics and using the standard Peco PL-10 via a capacitor discharge unit.

The main buildings are the Helston 'set' from Lasercraft Devon and the service shed is from Intentio (all yet to be built) and the Portacabins (huts) are from Greenwood Products. The 'retaining wall' is 5mm foamboard covered with SEFinecast English bond brick with a plain plasticard balancing veneer with buttresses and copings again from Intentio. The platform is in place and awaiting the final board surface once the electrics are complete. Wiring, Digitrax DCC, is the next step followed by full testing and then the traverser will go in.

More to follow including photos as and when progress is made.

All comments welcome.

cheers

Mike

Edited by Ressaldar
  • Like 16

Hi Mike

It's a nice well thought out design for the space available.

I would like to make one suggestion - move the point L1 as far to the right as possible given the baseboard join between it and L2.  The idea is to give a bit more length when shunting the goods yard if there is a train sitting in the main platform road.

I hope you will post photos as you progress.

Regards.

Hi Simon,

thanks for your post, but all out of my little grey cells

Hi Bill,

again, many thanks for your post. I think that if I were to move L1, it would create problems with the curve to R4. I originally had R4 on the baseboard between the goods shed and the signal box, and L1 was then where you are suggesting. But I was having problems getting the 5' radius curve in the correct position to get the lefthand track on the traverser in the right place (the area to the right of the layout is the 'up & over' door so I cannot move the layout left or right) and you now see the result of the 'shuffle' - I think that the positioning of R3 & R4 is the crux of the whole layout - we'll see soon.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Marc,

thanks for your suggestion. I have overlaid a Marcway 3 way point over R3 (lined up at the front) but the centre track is too long and straight and creates further problems with connecting the 5' radius track from the traverser - pushing the 3 way to the left to overcome that problem only creates a problem with the track into the bay connecting to Y1.

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, good luck with this layout, with regards to rolling stock, what length of trains will you be running ? are you using run round facilities ? the reason I ask is 24" isn't much for coach storage  before point R1 in the platform, or will you be running your trains all the way in up to the buffers, and having another loco take up the train form the ramp end ?

Best regards

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues

Hi Craig,

many thanks for the good wishes.

Eventually, there will be two coach B set 'locals', an autocoach service, a single coach non auto service (all based on WR stock) and a two coach pull-push service (based on SR stock) - the governing factor being the traverser, a tad over 4' 'on the curve'. I will be using run round and the engine release at 600mm/24"  is more than enough for a 70' Pacific - the idea being that the train once emptied of passengers and any brake van goods would be reversed along the platform to the baseboard join by the hut, engine un-couples, moves forward to the buffer stops, points thrown and reverses round the loop to just beyond R4 then moves forward to the coaches and propels them back to the buffer stops to pick up more passengers. As I understand it, this is the common practice at branch line termini with the engine release length being sufficient to take 'the usual branchline engine' but where the length of the train precludes this arrangement then an additional loco would be required to take the whole train back down the branch and the original loco would proceed to the engine shed for servicing and used on another service later in the day.

In addition to these steam hauled trains, there will be a diesel railcar/|bubblecar/DMU (might just have room for a two car unit) service running into the bay platform.

cheers

Mike

• Like 4

• 11 months later...

Having deliberated for exactly a year on the problem of the curve onto the traverser, I have decided to abandon the BLT idea and instead go for an MPD - with more than a hint of GWR about it!

post-6951-0-80179000-1476515977_thumb.jpg

The coaling stage and ramps were delivered yesterday and a start was made on location of the pointwork - two left hand points have been ordered and should be with me on Monday. We have a Club Open Day tomorrow and there will be no progress today.

The turntable will be ordered next week when funds from the sale of the Helston buildings have cleared. The low relief entrance to the shed will probably be scratchbuilt. Control will be Digitrax DCC and the points controlled by Tortoise motors (DC) the power to the turntable tracks will be via a Dual Frog Juicer.

Progress photos to come during the coming week.

cheers

Mike

Edited by Ressaldar
  • Like 2

Depending on when you set the build date and location of the shed you could make some of the buildings removable and you could change the period of the layout depending on what you wanted to run.

You need to move away from this GWR stuff. it will only end up in tears. If its a green thing then there are other shades out there that could be of interest. NER, LSWR, Highland, GNR, GCR I name but a few.

Marc

Depending on when you set the build date and location of the shed you could make some of the buildings removable and you could change the period of the layout depending on what you wanted to run.

You need to move away from this GWR stuff. it will only end up in tears. If its a green thing then there are other shades out there that could be of interest. NER, LSWR, Highland, GNR, GCR I name but a few.

Marc

Hi Marc,

many thanks for your comments/suggestions. I did say " a hint of GWR"  due mainly to available kits to fit my particular situation. I am still pondering over the turntable and will be having a chat with Midland Railway Centre during the week to finalise a choice - especially as I already have a Rebuilt West Country and a 9F in my collection to consider as well as a MOK King Arthur waiting patiently in its box to be built ! Overall, my loco stud is quite catholic as I have examples from each of the 'Big Four' therefore no one has been left out and not everything is on the large side either!

The big question is going to be - is the Engineer's siding big enough to hold an Inspection Saloon from each of the Big Four?

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Looking good - shall be following along!  Have you looked at Greenwood Models O gauge turntables?  Its no recommendation as i've only seen them that the GOG exhibition at Doncaster back in July, but they looked, good and solid, and Mike was telling me they have the electronic bits to allow easy operation etc... have a look at www.greenwoodmodelrailwayproducts.co.uk - just a thought.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

many thanks for the heads up on the Greenwood turntable. I have looked at it in the past and have now email Mike Greenwood for more details as the information on their website is a bit spartan.

regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

Ah! I must admit I hadn't looked recently, was just going off the info on his business card. From memory they are made from MDF, but looked and felt very substantial to me - from memory he also does a RTR version should you wish!

Rich

I have one of Mikes turntables and its very good.

Scroll down to post 199. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/25365-st-davids-gets-another-loco/page-8

Then scroll on to post 214 to show what it will take.

Full DCC control if you want it post 217.

And if you want a trip onto it

Edited by two tone green
  • Like 1

. I did say " a hint of GWR"  due mainly to available kits to fit my particular situation. I am still pondering over the turntable and will be having a chat with Midland Railway Centre during the week to finalise a choice - especially as I already have a Rebuilt West Country and a 9F in my collection to consider as well as a MOK King Arthur waiting patiently in its box to be built ! Overall, my loco stud is quite catholic as I have examples from each of the 'Big Four' therefore no one has been left out and not everything is on the large side either!

cheers

Mike

I might be wrong, but could`nt you see a bit of everything from the big four at Banbury?.

that should fit in with your 'a hint of GWR'..!

Brian.

Hi TTG, Brian and Marc,

many thanks for the responses and suggestions.

I shall consider the Greenwood turntable further, having seen it on Mikes stand at a number of shows,it has more than a certain draw factor.

As far as possible location is concerned, Basingstoke comes to the fore (I lived not far from Basinstoke for the best part of 40 years) as I have seen many photos taken in the 50's when it played host to visiting 'Foreign' locos which were being serviced having brought trains down in connection with the Farnborough airshow. At the end of the day though, I can always quote 'RULE 1' and be done with it!

cheers

Mike 

The PW gang have started

post-6951-0-08547600-1476612734.jpg

post-6951-0-75876400-1476612734.jpg

the first six points are down, just L1 & L4 to do (they should be delivered tomorrow) and the 'straights' loose laid to check fits etc.

Off to the Club Open Day now so no more progress here today.

regards

Mike

• Like 4

At the end of the day though, I can always quote 'RULE 1' and be done with it!

cheers

Mike 

'Rule 1' is a good rule...!!

Out of interest,who makes the backscene`s?.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Both elements are from the I D Backscene range - the 'wallpaper' is two sheets of I think three sheets in the set simply wallpaper pasted onto hardboard and the larger sheets are self adhesive elements which can be 'cut and shuffled' as to how you need/want them. I'll dig out a website address tomorrow.

cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike,

They must be fairly new design`s ? as i`ve not noticed anything like them before.

I `ve used the ID backscene`s on my current and a past layout,but was looking for some roof lines to use as well. (like collage work)

I will have a closer look at their site now!.

Cheers,

Brian.