Hadlow Road MPD 7mm

Ressaldar

Back in the land of the living again after three weeks of flue!

Time was not entirely lost as I was able to make slow progress with the painting of the ramp and extension, especially in respect of the near 300 fence posts.

post-6951-0-33480000-1480250918.jpg

having now put the items back out into the workshop, I can see what jobs remain.

post-6951-0-91537800-1480250918.jpg

the fitting of the extension to the coal hole entrance, the ladder from the hatch platform

post-6951-0-60805000-1480250919.jpg

the adjustments to the staircase once the ramp is fitted correctly to the coal hole

post-6951-0-48304700-1480250920.jpg

then the three items will be removed while the trackwork is fixed in place - only five of the seven points are fixed at present, so this will give me something to aim for during the week.

My latest acquisition seems to fit in well with its new surroundings, I'm impressed with the sound decoder (why shouldn't I be - it is a Zimo MX645, as fitted by Lionheart) it had a good run at the Club last Thursday and I just need to bring the maximum speed down and adjust the acceleration/deceleration to suit and I'll be a happy bunny. The lamps do light but I shall replace them with a more in scale non lighting variety. Crew are supplied and will be fitted, if only to arouse comment regarding the seated fireman.

regards

Mike 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Nice - love your layout, its coming on well.  Whose is the 9F? Looks a little clean for my liking, but a very nice model - the large sided BR1C tenders really do match the bulk and power of a 9F well!

Rich

Hi Rich,

Many thanks for the comment.The 9Fis one of the Finescale Brass models, I collected it at the Doncaster show earlier this year. It is one of the original Bidston allocation and as such would have been very dirty very quickly hauling the Shotton ore trains. It will be weathered in the fullness of time, I just cannot fit it in with other requirements at present and the weather itself does not help matters. However, I have coaled the tender and have a crew waiting to clock on as wll.

regards

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

Many thanks for the comment.The 9Fis one of the Finescale Brass models, I collected it at the Doncaster show earlier this year. It is one of the original Bidston allocation and as such would have been very dirty very quickly hauling the Shotton ore trains. It will be weathered in the fullness of time, I just cannot fit it in with other requirements at present and the weather itself does not help matters. However, I have coaled the tender and have a crew waiting to clock on as wll.

regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

Ah! I wondered if it was.  I spent many minutes (ok, about 15!) watching the 9F on their stand plod up and down that bit of O gauge and was totally impressed.  While I'm a fan of DCC sound for the diesels, I've never been a fan for steam. It doesn't sound right, in my opinion and I've always said it has to get a lot better before id look at it.  Well, watching that 9F, I think Finescale Brass have got it to the point where its worth looking at!  Im not sure who does their sound, I know the Minerva Peckett is Paul Chetter and that is superb, but the 'chuff' and timing on the 9F on that stand was just mind blowing.  Your a lucky modeller!

My credit card winces every time I look at the potential for a Brit on their site.  Must stay firm in my resolve - please don't post any more mind-altering images of superb steam locos!!! You'll be costing me money haha!

Rich

Hi Rich,

I, like you think that the 9F sound is superb - the Lionheart Pannier takes some beating and the Mogul in the shots above is even better! What I need to do though is reign in the speed of it as it is more like a King with its top speed, so a bit of experimentation on the Club's continuous run is called for this week.

regards

Mike

A very useful mornings work in that I fixed the remaining two points into position

post-6951-0-49149300-1480337995.jpg

and then 'filled the gaps' between the points with flexible track

post-6951-0-09835000-1480337996.jpg

but came to a shuddering halt when I ran out of rail joiners and track pins! Hence the loose laying of several pieces just to show the intention.

Still it gave me a chance of seeing what the future holds

post-6951-0-66442400-1480337996.jpg

the fleet lined up in the yard with the 9F on the entrance/exit road to the rest of the system. I think that I will continue with my idea of just a low relief entrance to the shed which will allow better opportunities to photograph the locos in the yard.

I'm holding back on which turntable to go for at present so that I can get the feel of that area of the layout, there is space for a 70' table - just!

regards

Mike

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

I, like you think that the 9F sound is superb - the Lionheart Pannier takes some beating and the Mogul in the shots above is even better! What I need to do though is reign in the speed of it as it is more like a King with its top speed, so a bit of experimentation on the Club's continuous run is called for this week.

regards

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Id taken a bite and committed myself to a Finescale Brass 'Brit'! Oops ... the bank manager will not be happy, although I have got 10-12 months to save up for it!  If the sound is anything like the 9F, then I'm very happy!  DCC Sound for steam certainly does seem to be coming on in leaps and bounds at the moment.

Rich

• 8 months later...

Hi Rich,

many thanks for resurrecting this thread for me.

The short answer is - not a lot! External events resulted in a change of plan, not just at home but also at the Club, both scenarios 'revolving' around the turntables - pun intended. Suffice it to say that both problems will be resolved at Telford in a few weeks time.

Hadlow Road now has its own Timber Tracks two road shed - yes I succumbed to building another one :cray_mini2:  :cray_mini2:  :cray_mini2: with both the original one and the coal stage and ramps going down to the Club :no:  :no:  :no:

Update photos to follow next week as it SWMBOs birthday today and we have things planned for the weekend - so the workshop is definitely out of bounds!

regards

Mike

Edited by Ressaldar

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lee,

many thanks for resurrecting this thread for me.

The short answer is - not a lot! External events resulted in a change of plan, not just at home but also at the Club, both scenarios 'revolving' around the turntables - pun intended. Suffice it to say that both problems will be resolved at Telford in a few weeks time.

Hadlow Road now has its own Timber Tracks two road shed - yes I succumbed to building another one :cray_mini2:  :cray_mini2:  :cray_mini2: with both the original one and the coal stage and ramps going down to the Club :no:  :no:  :no:

Update photos to follow next week as it SWMBOs birthday today and we have things planned for the weekend - so the workshop is definitely out of bounds!

regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

Not sure where the Lee came from, but no problem!!!  Glad to hear things are moving slowly, and your still progressing - look forward to seeing what the update brings :)

Rich

Hi Rich,

Apologies, it's old age catching up with me - confusing names when replying to threads. I amended it last evening before I saw your post.

Might be able to sneak a few photos on here later today.

regards

Mike

Whilst Management is recovering from her Birthday lunch at her favourite local restaurant, I have managed to slip out into the workshop and grabbed a few 'progess' photos -

post-6951-0-47416300-1502551505.jpg

'short view' of the two road shed from Timber Tracks, I built this slightly differently to the first one, most notably using a ring beam around the base as opposed to the full floor as this would have been too thick for use Peco track - (C&L track used at the Club and with the sleepers removed and individual chairs used in lieu it worked fine). The roofing is 4mm scale Southern Finecast 'wriggly tin' which I think suits the later period of the shed rather than the paper slate provided in the kit.

post-6951-0-50205100-1502551519.jpg

Having painted and weather the interior I have fixed the roof to the walls on this one and it sits in place so can be removed for the application of external weathering when the mood takes me.

post-6951-0-97810100-1502551529.jpg

'long view' of the approach to the shed.

At Telford I am collecting a laser cut arched wall with the aperture cut in, for the 'connection to the rest of the network, this fits across the layout behind the far end of the shed. I still have to fit the make up pieces of coping stones to the boundary wall along the back of the layout. Also due for collection at Telford is an Intentio Coal stage which is based on the one that was at Slough and a 70' diameter Cowans turntable which will be driven by DCC.

So enough to keep me going for the foreseeable, especially as there are two locos to complete and two diesels to detail with Pete Harvey etches to go with the Inspection Saloons seen in the above photos - at the rear, a BR Diag 1/550 which was based on the ex LMS Diag D2046 this has the correct window/door arrangement for the small saloon (although in the above picture, it is the large saloon that is in view) and the other one is an ex GWR Diag Q13 to be finished in Inter City livery as the Are Civil Engineer's Bristol Saloon  - pictures sooner rather than later - I hope.

regards

Mike

• Like 6