Flying Scotsman back on the mainline - 2016

colin penfold

Folks,

Could anyone tell me when (dates and approximate times) FS will be passing up or down the southern part of the WCML over the next few weeks.

Much to my astonishment, my small son, who normally only talks about three topics with enthusiasm (football, maths, and Harry Potter) spontaneously expressed a wish to see it, and when it passed by on Wednesday I was at work, and he was at school.

Kevin

Folks,

Could anyone tell me when (dates and approximate times) FS will be passing up or down the southern part of the WCML over the next few weeks.

Much to my astonishment, my small son, who normally only talks about three topics with enthusiasm (football, maths, and Harry Potter) spontaneously expressed a wish to see it, and when it passed by on Wednesday I was at work, and he was at school.

Kevin

UKsteam Info is a good starting point:

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/trs16.htm#twk

Gresley's name is associated with a number of well proportioned locomotives which would look good in most colours. I think it would look even better in GER blue...

I'm not familiar with much pre-grouping stuff, but his best are the most attractive of the big 4s efforts in terms of lines and proportions. I think it's the round topped fireboxes which give them that effect.

UKsteam Info is a good starting point:

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/trs16.htm#twk

Almost nothing is available about the future times for many steam hauled trains in the south, west or east. One mention is sbout steam hauled north of Newark only, because of half-witted numpties who think it's ok to wander onto the trackside. These brainless wonders have ruined it for everyone. If any of you are reading this, I hope you feel ashamed at the result of your selfish antics.

Almost nothing is available about the future times for many steam hauled trains in the south, west or east. One mention is sbout steam hauled north of Newark only, because of half-witted numpties who think it's ok to wander onto the trackside. These brainless wonders have ruined it for everyone. If any of you are reading this, I hope you feel ashamed at the result of your selfish antics.

You normally only get special train times (passing times etc) put into the system a week or so in advance. There are times on the uksteam.info site for tours in the next week or so. I'd recommend you check again closer to the date you're interested in. If it's not on the uksteam site, try realtimetrains.co.uk and/or opentraintimes.com. When I last went to see with FS, the real time running times appeared on one but not the other, and the schedule was on uksteam beforehand.

Or relive the excitement of the days before real-time information, find out from the tour operator's site when it's due to leave (they have to tell their prospective passengers!), and do a bit of guesstimating. The anticipation's worth it.

Edited by eastwestdivide

You normally only get special train times (passing times etc) put into the system a week or so in advance. There are times on the uksteam.info site for tours in the next week or so. I'd recommend you check again closer to the date you're interested in. If it's not on the uksteam site, try realtimetrains.co.uk and/or opentraintimes.com. When I last went to see with FS, the real time running times appeared on one but not the other, and the schedule was on uksteam beforehand.

Or relive the excitement of the days before real-time information, find out from the tour operator's site when it's due to leave (they have to tell their prospective passengers!), and do a bit of guesstimating. The anticipation's worth it.

Yep I missed it coming through Nottingham. I'm only 5mins from the station as well.

I personally like seeing Scotman 'back' ( I say it like that cause it's the first time I've seen her in steam ) but then Again I'm a little biased as I'm an 'Eastern lad' even at 20 years old I have a passion for steam locos ,The thing that annoyed me and many, many others were the tres-passers on the run from kings cross.

I've heard this quote somewhere before ( maybe even on this thread so I apologise now ) but you can tell the difference between railway enthusiasts and the public cause we stay the right side of the fence ...

But rant over here's a pic I got of her through grosmont tunnel on her first day running on the moors .

(Edited to change a few words so that it makes sense)

post-18951-0-40668100-1466983341_thumb.jpeg

Edited by jamie.dunn
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A couple of shots at York station this glorious afternoon, '103 having just taken over the 1028 Leeds-Carlisle via Newcastle - weathering, what weathering??

post-31-0-31906600-1468792860.jpg

post-31-0-31111800-1468792887.jpg

• Like 7

I was staring out the window of our holiday cottage which just happens to be a couple hundred yards from the GWR main line near Chippenham when the procession of HSTs was interrupted by a steam engine! Must have been Flying Scotsman though only the top half was visible. Very impressive, though I was less impressed by the maroon 37 tacked on the rear...

• 1 month later...

Hi

Per my other post, I'm taking a trip tomorrow to the NRM with my son. To make the most of it, we're off to Shildon on Friday. Is Flying Scotsman currently at one or other of the sites? I need to manage a four year old's expectations...

Thanks

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Per my other post, I'm taking a trip tomorrow to the NRM with my son. To make the most of it, we're off to Shildon on Friday. Is Flying Scotsman currently at one or other of the sites? I need to manage a four year old's expectations...

Thanks

David

When we were there a couple of weeks ago it was parked under cover at the side of the Flying Scotsman exhibit at the north end of the Warehouse. That day it was standing so you could see the smoke deflectors and cab side but not much else.

Tomorrow 48151 should be working to Scarboro departing at 11.49 and returning at 18.15. Good view from the balcony at the museum if you are there in the morning.

Thanks - Scotsman was stabled in the south yard and sensibly was by a fence where you could get a great view. Junior Clearwater was thrilled (photo doesn't do justice to the sprint up shouting "Its Flying Scotsman!"

On 48151, per the other short thread I started, we arrived in York ex-Kings Cross at 1130 so got a great view of 48151 and train as we arrived at York whilst that train was waiting in the sidings. Luckily, we arrived on platform 6 so got off and 5 mins later the Flyer arrived. A quick jog along the platform with the smell of smoke lingering under the overall roof and we able to watch the 8F depart. Junior was impressed but was upset there were other people between us and the loco at departure. I did explain its not that often you can get to see a steam train leave a mainline station pulling a decent load.. (probably only the second or third time for me!)..

Off to Shildon tomorrow!

post-22698-0-52307900-1472750485_thumb.jpeg

David

Edited by Clearwater
  • Like 12

Thanks - Scotsman was stabled in the south yard and sensibly was by a fence where you could get a great view. Junior Clearwater was thrilled (photo doesn't do justice to the sprint up shouting "Its Flying Scotsman!"

On 48151, per the other short thread I started, we arrived in York ex-Kings Cross at 1130 so got a great view of 48151 and train as we arrived at York whilst that train was waiting in the sidings. Luckily, we arrived on platform 6 so got off and 5 mins later the Flyer arrived. A quick jog along the platform with the smell of smoke lingering under the overall roof and we able to watch the 8F depart. Junior was impressed but was upset there were other people between us and the loco at departure. I did explain its not that often you can get to see a steam train leave a mainline station pulling a decent load.. (probably only the second or third time for me!)..

Off to Shildon tomorrow!

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

David

Hope you enjoy it, I'm there part of the day but in and out of meetings :)