Flying Scotsman back on the mainline - 2016

colin penfold

Thanks - Scotsman was stabled in the south yard and sensibly was by a fence where you could get a great view. Junior Clearwater was thrilled (photo doesn't do justice to the sprint up shouting "Its Flying Scotsman!"

On 48151, per the other short thread I started, we arrived in York ex-Kings Cross at 1130 so got a great view of 48151 and train as we arrived at York whilst that train was waiting in the sidings. Luckily, we arrived on platform 6 so got off and 5 mins later the Flyer arrived. A quick jog along the platform with the smell of smoke lingering under the overall roof and we able to watch the 8F depart. Junior was impressed but was upset there were other people between us and the loco at departure. I did explain its not that often you can get to see a steam train leave a mainline station pulling a decent load.. (probably only the second or third time for me!)..

Off to Shildon tomorrow!

image.jpeg

David

Good work David. That's the twenty years time "I'll show this to your girlfriend..." bargaining chip (blackmail) picture taken care of!

C6T.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

60103 was parked in the servicing bay outside the NRM today, invisible except for front end. Pity as lots of visitors would have liked to see it. Various parts of the site screened off including the loco tent. Good to see 60007 being overhauled in the workshop...not by the NRM!

Dava

Thanks for that Rob, I have just booked two tickets for myself and Mrs. 45568, we will be in Birmingham next week!! I decided against travelling to the SVR to see Scotsman as I would have a 4 hour drive to Brum that weekend, and it promises to be a bit of a zoo!

Cheers from Oz, 

Peter C.

Edited by 45568

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

They will all have to assemble at Darlington and then follow each other south. Nearest place to hold them until time.

Mike Wiltshire

No need to bother with that nonsense and miles of bang road running.  The two trains which will be running on the Up lines can  run north from York and crossover to the Up side at Tollerton (see final para)  or even run northwards bang road.

The two which will run bang road on the Downside can easily run in the correct direction from York and cross to the relevant Down line ready to come back in the wrong direction, at Tollerton or they simply run wrong road on their relevant line and reverse at Tollerton - simple way of getting them into position and that also makes sense of the Deltic hauling the money pit as it avoids it having to run tender first under its own power for 10-11 miles; it also minimises the amount of wrong direction running as it will be restricted to the distance between Tollerton and York.  All a relatively simple job apart from writing a few reams of Special Instructions (not exactly difficult if you know what you're doing) and getting the manpower out to clip points etc as needed.

No problem with delays to other services as there is a blockade that day between York and Darlington with work taking place at Thirsk so logically all the trains can probably work out northwards from York, simples.  All in all a rather clever way of making use of a  bit of railway which will be closed that day anyway

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With that date they should at least have a loco called either St George  or William Shakespeare. 

Jamie

They could also name one after me & Mrs Stationmaster as it's our wedding anniversary  (date carefully chosen by her as it's annotated in most diaries and that way she thought I wouldn't forget it)  :jester: 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No need to bother with that nonsense and miles of bang road running.  The two trains which will be running on the Up lines can  run north from York and crossover to the Up side at Tollerton (see final para)  or even run northwards bang road.

The two which will run bang road on the Downside can easily run in the correct direction from York and cross to the relevant Down line ready to come back in the wrong direction, at Tollerton or they simply run wrong road on their relevant line and reverse at Tollerton - simple way of getting them into position and that also makes sense of the Deltic hauling the money pit as it avoids it having to run tender first under its own power for 10-11 miles; it also minimises the amount of wrong direction running as it will be restricted to the distance between Tollerton and York.  All a relatively simple job apart from writing a few reams of Special Instructions (not exactly difficult if you know what you're doing) and getting the manpower out to clip points etc as needed.

No problem with delays to other services as there is a blockade that day between York and Darlington with work taking place at Thirsk so logically all the trains can probably work out northwards from York, simples.  All in all a rather clever way of making use of a  bit of railway which will be closed that day anyway

I did wonder about the logistics, given that even on a Sunday I don't imagine the ECML is that quiet so as to allow lots if 'bang road' moves

• RMweb Premium

They could also name one after me & Mrs Stationmaster as it's our wedding anniversary  (date carefully chosen by her as it's annotated in most diaries and that way she thought I wouldn't forget it)  :jester: 

And also my eldest son's birthday.

Jamie

• Like 1