Flying Scotsman back on the mainline - 2016

colin penfold

• RMweb Gold

It will cost btp more to follow up the miscreants than they will recover from any fines.

So it might, but the sight of a couple of these morons on the TV news bleating about how hard-done-by they are would be make it a good investment.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

From the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-39991602

Flying Scotsman timetable kept secret to deter trespassing fans

Timetables for the Flying Scotsman will no longer be put online by an operator, in a bid to stop fans trespassing.

Hundreds of people turned out to watch the famous locomotive as it passed through the West Country on Friday.

But its journey from Gloucester to Bristol was delayed by almost an hour, due to about 50 people trespassing on the line near Cam and Dursley.

Operator Steam Dreams said it had been "advised" not to publish details of when the Scotsman was running............

Edited by PrestburyJack

• RMweb Premium

Since when did the point of policing become making a profit instead of preventing crime?

Fines do not go to the Police or even the courts, they go to the Exchequer.  In certain circumstances a portion is kept to cover admin costs but IIRC that's only for camera generated traffic fines.

Jamie

When the loco was on the Fife Circle the other week, the timetables were published, but the train ran 10 minutes early as a ploy to catch folk unawares I guess, everyone was in position and I heard of no problem with trespass in the Thornton area where I was.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

FS visited East Anglia yesterday, went from Norwich to Ipswich, then back to Westerfield and the around the other leg of the triangle before returning to Norwich.

After servicing it then worked to Kings Cross and return.

All bar one of the people I saw were well behaved trespass wise, the one I saw inched out at a level crossing without realising the barriers were not down for the FS but for a 90 which was behind her - a quick shout and she was back to safety. I've seen a  few shots of muppets on the track but I guess there's always the odd one out of the thousands who watched her pass.

I caught her twice,I didn't hang around for the North bound leg of the first working.

11 November 2017

Tivetshall station (site)

60103, Flying Scotsman, and 47746, Chris Fudge 29.7.70- 22.6.10, on 1Z60, 08:04, Norwich - Norwich (10:43)

via Ipswich East Suffolk Jct, Westerfield and Europa Jct

post-6662-0-38375900-1510500068_thumb.jpg

And later passing the throng at Eccles Road (unfortunately the sun decided to shine brightly casting a shadow at the wrong time)

60103, Flying Scotsman, and 47746, Chris Fudge 29.7.70- 22.6.10, on 1Z65, 14:10, Norwich - London Kings Cross (17:55) - The Cathedrals Express

post-6662-0-33655700-1510500125_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-71963300-1510500133_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-14602500-1510500141_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Couldn’t find a more appropriate thread so I thought I would put it in this one, but a quick picture of 60103 and 45212 double heading this am across the Thames on the slow route to Carnforth...8 hours !

Not sure when was the last time it double headed on the UK mainline.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

Couldn’t find a more appropriate thread so I thought I would put it in this one, but a quick picture of 60103 and 45212 double heading this am across the Thames on the slow route to Carnforth...8 hours !

Not sure when was the last time it double headed on the UK mainline.

Currently sat at West London Jn as 5Z29. Game over?

Edit- RTT not updated, 1Z29 nr Berkhamstead, roughly to time.

Edited by 298

• RMweb Gold

Currently sat at West London Jn as 5Z29. Game over?

Edit- RTT not updated, 1Z29 nr Berkhamstead, roughly to time.

No it’s gojng fine, it just has some long “rest breaks”.

Black 5 seems to be doing the bulk of the work

• RMweb Gold

RTT trains seems to be unreliable today for those following it, but open train times with its route map/ signal diagram including signal aspect and route to which points are set is very helpful today !!!

Word of advice though avoid Wembley Central in future they really don’t like Railway enthusiasts there !

The platform staff waited until the train was just off the end of the platform before running down the platform to say he’s closing the platform and threatened to grab my camera ! (He said it’s to prevent suicides !!)

Blimey ! Fortunately I got my 30 seconds but he was swearing he hated trainspotters ! - nice I think i’ll Stick to south of Wembley in future.

But if you do want to risk the wrath of their staff, the Up Slow is a better side for sure.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Seems a bit of a t###. I would report him, especially if he has used abusive language.

After what has happened elsewhere on London's railways today then I think he needs to get his priorities right.

Jason

I have an excellent video of the pair accelerating through the station, but the first 30 seconds is drowned out with him telling me to evacuate the platform and despite my asking if I can watch the (clearly in view) pair coming he said no, and threatened to grab my camera (it’s quite clear what he said) and I did point out to him I was actually videoing as well at the time and it would pick up his voice, after that he changed tone and let me video it.

After they had gone I walked back up the platform and he was being nice as pie. It was a power trip for him, a kind of racism against enthusiasts. There was a regular passenger behind me who detrained and asked if something was coming, and stuck around with his iPhone to get a picture, but as he looked more of a normal this NR guy passed him by.

In the end he didn’t but I didn’t like being threatened in front of an on coming train by someone threatening to grab my camera in a completely unnecessary manner.

I’ll write it off to experience but I have his name, voice, he’s a “suicide prevention officer”, contractor. I’ve heard of this happening before but don’t experience it very often, glad my daughter wasn’t with me to experience it.

Edited by adb968008

• 4 weeks later...

Steam Dreams Flying Scotsman Tours in October.

Tickets can be booked on the Steam Dreams website https://www.steamdreams.co.uk/tours.php

4th October:

• Theale to Taunton: 60163 outward, Diesel return
  • Taunton to Plymouth: 60163 & 61306 outward, Diesel return

6th October:

• Plymouth to Penzance: 60163 outward, Diesel return

8th October:

• Plymouth to Exeter St Davids: 60163 & 61306 outward, Diesel return
  • Exeter St Davids to Bristol Temple Meeds: 60163 & 61306 outward, Diesel return

On the trips on the 4th and 8th the train departs the destination approximately 15 or 30 minutes after arrival.

The is also a Farewell Alan Pegler railtour on 13th October running London Kings Cross to Youk, 60163 outward, Diesel return. You can book at https://www.steamdreams.co.uk/tours.php?tourid=72099 during office hours.

• Like 1