Flying Scotsman back on the mainline - 2016

colin penfold

I have to just drop in here a minute chaps and just re iterate was has been said by Mike and various others regarding fatalities on the permanent way.

Mike was being generous with the way he described things. A Fatality of any description involves a complete shut down of the running line while a small army of people walk the permanent way picking up the pieces,(I refuse to describe this in further detail). Just to add that I would not wish it on my worst enemy, you cannot even begin to describe the carnage.

These people are of course hugely distressed at the task they have to undertake.

The train crew are generally relieved ASAP and depending on the person it can be a career ending event. Everyone involved is affected to some extent and some never recover.

Anyone caught trespassing on the rail reserve needs further "education" by whatever means necessary to discourage them ever doing it again.

I can assure you all, that it feels like a very long way, walking alone in the dark when you have to head back to investigate a possible collision with car or person (This is when a good train controller is worth his weight in gold, a reassuring voice when you just want to crawl into a hole and hide until someone else can take over).

Thankfully there was nothing more serious than lost track time the other day. But a strong message needs to be sent to the those involved. The person who gets hit is just the first victim.

If this comes across as too much Andy, please feel free to edit or delete. I Just felt that some of the earlier comments regarding rail fatalities needed some balance. Not having a go or having a shot at anyone as I believe everyone is entitled  to their opinion. But nobody whose been involved in a rail related fatality would ever agree with some of those opinions.

Anyway enough of all that stuff. It was wonderful to see pictures and videos of the old girl stretching her legs and lets not allow a minority of people doing the wrong thing take the shine off what was a wonderful occasion.

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Was my suggestion that Network Rail might use this photo evidence to pursue a conviction (or convictions) not worth a response? I'm tempted to contact them (NR) somehow and suggest it. Even if they can't it's worth asking the question. Mike, what do you think?

If BTP don't pursue someone for trespass or whatever then I will be very disappointed. Not because I'm a nasty piece of work, but because I think the people that were involved in various locations need  sorting out ASAP and then someone else might just be deterred or maybe some of us won't feel so hesitant to have a go at them another time.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Was my suggestion that Network Rail might use this photo evidence to pursue a conviction (or convictions) not worth a response? I'm tempted to contact them (NR) somehow and suggest it. Even if they can't it's worth asking the question. Mike, what do you think?

If BTP don't pursue someone for trespass or whatever then I will be very disappointed. Not because I'm a nasty piece of work, but because I think the people that were involved in various locations need  sorting out ASAP and then someone else might just be deterred or maybe some of us won't feel so hesitant to have a go at them another time.

Phil

I'm very much in favour Phil and I would have hoped that the BTP are already on the case (Note - I did say 'hoped') and I think it would probably better in their hands rather than NR's because NR would have to involve them anyway.   I think that it would be downright silly not to do anything when there is some excellent quality visual evidence on the internet for anyone to see and creating a situation where not doing anything about the trespass would act to many as an encouragement to do the same.

I have no respect at all for this sort of behaviour and in fact many years ago was instrumental in getting BTP involved in dealing with a passenger who ran off the end of a platform chasing a train which he had, in reality, missed.  And it so happened that the day his case came up the Chairman of the Magistrate's Bench was a former BR Goods Guard so the BTP got a good conviction on each of the Byelaw offences I had reported with a maximum fine on each, viz - Interfering with a railway servant in the execution of his duty, Attempting to board a moving train, Attempting to board a train at other than a station platform, Endangering the life of a person on the railway  (he threw his briefcase through an open carriage window no doubt hoping we'd stop the train for him), and Trespass.  He was lucky he didn't also get done for assault but the BTP were happy that he'd be convicted for all the others so didn't push that one.

• Like 7

Phil

Several people have replied to one of the tweeters copying the British Transport Police - they can hardly claim not to be awarepost-22698-0-27779500-1456688146_thumb.png

Phil

Phil,

You would hope that the amount of Evidence that's out there in the Digital Media and online, The Rozzers are knocking on the front doors of these nutters houses as we speak type.

That's the one good thing about modern technology, the idiots have provided the evidence all by themselves and once it's out there, it's always there!!

Like Mike alluded to, the authorities take a dim view of this sort of thing, let's just hope that once in court, the Beak doesn't go soft.

Ted

Edited by The Blue Streak

I do feel from the other side of the earth that the individuals who think that entering the rail corridor are doing all enthusiasts a dis- service. Yes we do understand more than the general public but that is no reason to be within a no go zone. Here in Melbourne the suburban trains had so much trouble with suicides that they have installed a Biological clean down area for the trains! I had heard that locally a driver is likely to be involved once every 3 years in a fatality! 

From my experience with work, as a building contractor. I have walked from Flinders St to Spencer st ontop of the viaduct with suburban trains travelling at 20Km/hr but 20cm from your nose and to the point where we (there was 10 of us) had to stand side on! Not a comfortable situation... :O   So for people to do this just for a photo or "experience" they are mad! 

Lets hope the powers that be BTP or who ever stop this action before there is a serious incident. Victoria almost lost its preserved runs when a J class hit a truck.. killing the driver and fireman and damaging the loco which has yet to be repaired. 

From all this negative I would like to say the positive will be I can see Flying Scotsman in action on the next Transport steam video DVD on my TV in about a month and a half! This will partially bring back my first sighting of FS on a run from Melbourne to Seymour in 1989!

• RMweb Premium

I've stayed out of this discussion until I cooled down enough to make a contribution without the need to rant.  I too knew of a driver (an acquaintance rather than a friend) who felt a bump when travelling at around 80 mph, and just thought it was a bit of rough track.  At the end of the run, they found a body part lodged in one of the front bogies (I'll say no more).  The driver in question did manage to stay in service, but he was seriously traumatised.

I really do despair of those who think that the rules are for everybody else, and not for them.  I was warned at a very early age about the dangers of trespass on the railway, both by my father and his cousin who was a senior railwayman.  He reinforced it on every occasion, and even when he took me to visit various sheds, he made sure that I knew that the visit was in his gift, and was not something that I should do on my own.  In memory of him, I have always stuck to his advice, and always will. 

Does anybody else remember a TV advert in the 1960s about the dangers of trespassing on the railway, which started "Let's face it, you either like trains, or you don't, and if you do, then there may no lengths that you wouldn't go to to get a closer look", and ended with the image of a dead boy lying in the four foot, with a model aircraft stuck in the 25KV OHLE, and the words "trespassers will be prosecuted, but there are some who can't be".

• RMweb Premium

When I used to work in schools (up until the mid 80s) the railway used to provide a member of staff to do talks and show films. This was often an older Driver. The films were quite graphic. This sadly did not prevent one idiot pupil of a local school deciding he would stand on the 'third rail' whilst trespassing not far from the school. That child survived, goodness knows how, but lost a leg. 

Glad BTP are on the case and as for the Tweet thing (I don't do tweet); what a complete ar$e by the sound of it. Go other tweeters; grass out the lot of them I say.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Russ.

Hoping to see her sometime this year.

I wonder if they'll ever do any name swaps to remember long scrapped classmates?

Sandwich would be a good one I think.

If you or a group have the money I'm sure they would consider it for you. Not sure what the cost would be though? 2k?

• RMweb Premium

I'm surprised at how subtle the lining looks. When I saw it leaving KXon the BBC reports I thought it was unlined. It certainly dosent stand out at any sort of distance.

Oh and the whistle does sound awfy weedy.

And aren't those RP25-110 wheels?

• RMweb Premium

Well said, my first fatal accident (suicide) was at Water Orton in 1966, aged just 18. Cleaning the pieces out of a Facing Point Lock is not fun. My second was Stechford in 1967. I still see the image of the underside of an overturned AM4 vividly in my dreams some nights.

Phil

Indeed.

I would urge any forum members observing such behaviour in the UK to not hesitate and report it to the BTP. It doesn't matter whether you (or the person concerned) thinks they are in a 'safe' place, that they are 'only just the other side of the fence' separating public and private areas, or that 'other countries aren't bothered' about such things - this is the UK and you play by our rules, which quite clearly state that the only people who should be track side are those who hold the valid Personal Track Safety Competence for the railway organisation concerned.

If it takes rail tours to be banned from our mainlines to get the message through to the selfish minority who think the rules don't apply to them so be it.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed.

I would urge any forum members observing such behaviour in the UK to not hesitate and report it to the BTP. It doesn't matter whether you (or the person concerned) thinks they are in a 'safe' place, that they are 'only just the other side of the fence' separating public and private areas, or that 'other countries aren't bothered' about such things - this is the UK and you play by our rules, which quite clearly state that the only people who should be track side are those who hold the valid Personal Track Safety Competence for the railway organisation concerned.

If it takes rail tours to be banned from our mainlines to get the message through to the selfish minority who think the rules don't apply to them so be it.

I don't think mention of 'trackside' is the relevant point - the important bit is about being inside the boundary fence and anyone who gets even that far should be jumped upon from a great height.  'Trackside' means different things to different people and could be misleading.

Indeed.

Worth adding Phil that having a PTS card means you can only use it whilst on duty, not while wandering about inside the boundary on your day off just because you fancy getting a better shot of 60103 than the next bloke!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2