Model Rail 215 November 2015

dibber25

Publication 22 October

News: First pictures of our exclusive 'USA' class 0-6-0Ts with details of some changes to details and numbers of specific examples. 

National Collection in Miniature new releases

Reviews:

Kernow MRC exclusive 'O2' 0-4-4T (OO)

Hornby 'D16/3' 4-4-0 (OO)

Dapol 'A1' 0-6-0T (O)

Dawson Hall structures

Bachmann Hawksworth autocoach

Bachmann SR CCT

Layout:

Bee Lane (OO) modern image

Reely Grate and Primrose Hill (O)

Layout suggestion - Tring cement sidings

Inspirations:

FEATURE - Moments in Time, railway events worth modelling.

THE AEROPLANE SPECIAL This month's 'Masterclass' topic is for all who have even a passing interest in aviation or fancy an airfield corner filler on which to display a favourite Airfix kit. 

The Ultimate Guide to Airfield Corner Fillers by Squadron Leader Stuart Reid (ret)

Buildings for the Mighty Eighth (Chris Leigh). Did you know there are circular pillboxes? Here's how to build one.

RAS - Railway Air Services (Chris Leigh) When the railways also operated internal air services.

How to:

Model a modern main line

Build Auhagen's modular system

The Art of George Dent's modelling - how to rust and weather your models.

Take your first digital steps

Get the best from plastic aircraft kits

Paint and weather a plane

Nostalgia:

Hornby's TV Star (Simon Kohler) 

Regulars:

Advice Hub

Backscene

post-1062-0-72364600-1444923474_thumb.jpg

This looks good. Someone will post now moaning about how it's a model railway magazine and why are you publishing articles about planes....

I hope not. Building an airfield as a part of a scenic layout is no more different than building a canal/lock scene, gas works or coal mine.

I'm more concerned at the apparent recent marginalising of N gauge in Model Rail. Although I appreciate work in other scales sometimes it's nice to see how techniques and modelling in them translates, works and appears in my chosen scale. And, of course, there are particular nuances that are specific to N/2mm . . . .

But I'll wait for my subscription copy to check it out. However the last issue was devoid of N/2mm and I'll be unhappy if it continues.

G.

I believe the N Gauge Society publishes a magazine.

Chris

Yes, the NGS publishes the Journal that is sent to all members, though it is not available for the casual purchaser.

However I do like to see a commercial magazine with a mix of scales. But that does need to be balanced. Unfortunately of late IMO Model Rail seems to have included little of balanced and relevant N gauge content.

G

This looks good. Someone will post now moaning about how it's a model railway magazine and why are you publishing articles about planes....

So if you don't like the content it automatically becomes moaning?

Having an article on airfield corners is perfectly legitimate as they can fill a corner of many a layout but it would have been nice to actually see some models in the 10 1/2 pages devoted to it apart from one very tiny picture on page 94 and 2 planes on 96/97. Ok, you can view it as inspiration but this edition already has 12 pages of 'moments in time' inspiration so that's over 22 pages with no actual modelling in a magazine called Model Rail. With regard to the 7 additional pages devoted to building a plastic plane and weathering it all the techniques can be used in railway modelling so how about building a plastic wagon and weathering that which is far more relevant?

This isn't moaning, it is my opinion which differs from yours. Together with Model Rail seeming to ignore 'N' I won't be renewing my subscription next month as the publication seems to be losing its way.

Gareth

Yes, the NGS publishes the Journal that is sent to all members, though it is not available for the casual purchaser.

However I do like to see a commercial magazine with a mix of scales. But that does need to be balanced. Unfortunately of late IMO Model Rail seems to have included little of balanced and relevant N gauge content.

G

Its not just N gauge content that is lacking ... there is generally an awful lot of Southern and Great Western steam layouts of branch lines featured in Model Rail

Its not just N gauge content that is lacking ... there is generally an awful lot of Southern and Great Western steam layouts of branch lines featured in Model Rail

One layout is 25kV overhead electric (Virgin Pendolino is main pic) the other is an O gauge industrial diorama. Previous issue layout was S&D. 

One layout is 25kV overhead electric (Virgin Pendolino is main pic) the other is an O gauge industrial diorama. Previous issue layout was S&D. 

I'd like more 'N' gauge but any modelling is better than 22 pages without a model in sight in a publication called 'Model Rail'. If I wanted pages and pages of inspiration there are plenty of magazines for 'real' railways. Is it that Model Rail isn't getting articles to publish so are having to fill it up with editorial?

Gareth

I'd like more 'N' gauge but any modelling is better than 22 pages without a model in sight in a publication called 'Model Rail'. If I wanted pages and pages of inspiration there are plenty of magazines for 'real' railways. Is it that Model Rail isn't getting articles to publish so are having to fill it up with editorial?

Gareth

Absolutely not! It's inspiration that drives us and we believe we're not alone and that if we help others to find inspiration we'll see some growth in the hobby once more. Model Rail has always been about the mixing of prototype and model and what we're doing now is essentially a variation on the Masterclass theme, having covered all the locomotive types (some of them twice). The new content is the result of careful consideration over a long time. It may well need a few issues to bed in - our next offering "Coast Railways' I find so inspirational that it's set me off building another layout - there will be coastal prototype coverage, modelling articles and a couple of coastal-themed layouts, too. 

CHRIS LEIGH

This isn't moaning, it is my opinion which differs from yours. Together with Model Rail seeming to ignore 'N' I won't be renewing my subscription next month as the publication seems to be losing its way.

Gareth

I take the opposite view. MR is much better now since Ben Jones left and BRM is worse now that he's there.

Looking forward to seeing the 25kv OHL layout when I collect my saved copy on Thursday.

Roll on the Dapol OHLE - and manufacturers, classes 86 and 87 in 4mm scale please, please, please!!

My copy arrived this morning.  I have not yet finished reading it - a task for bedtime, I think - but I've had a glance through selected items.  One, the review of the Bachmann auto trailer, made me do a swift double-take.

Chris Leigh states that "these cars did not carry plain crimson".  I think he will find that nos. 235 - 244 were first outshopped bearing this livery.  In the Ian Allan colour album "Western Steam in Colour: Branch Lines" there are two photographs of crimson trailers.  One is on page 34 taken by Dick Riley at Yatton.  The other is on page 72 and shows 237 at Monmouth Troy.  I'm sure Chris will remember compiling the book, even if he does not recall signing my copy!

Chris

I've just had a quick flick through my subscription copy. I find some issues better than others which is what I'd expect from any magazine but there is always something of interest for me. This issue for me personally is not one of the best but has enough interesting reading in it to keep me going. The next issue on coasts looks very exciting and I can't wait although I'm sure others will prefer the current one or the next one after that...

I choose to subscribe because it got me a good deal at the time and on balance I enjoy reading each issue when it comes through the door. With some other magazines I just look at the content each month and buy the ones I want and not the others. If any magazine is concerned it isn't selling enough issues they can always do some sort of survey to find out what more or less people want to see although I'd imagine that, just like in threads like this one, they'd get as many differ possible answers as there are people who respond!

So if you don't like the content it automatically becomes moaning?

Having an article on airfield corners is perfectly legitimate as they can fill a corner of many a layout but it would have been nice to actually see some models in the 10 1/2 pages devoted to it apart from one very tiny picture on page 94 and 2 planes on 96/97. Ok, you can view it as inspiration but this edition already has 12 pages of 'moments in time' inspiration so that's over 22 pages with no actual modelling in a magazine called Model Rail. With regard to the 7 additional pages devoted to building a plastic plane and weathering it all the techniques can be used in railway modelling so how about building a plastic wagon and weathering that which is far more relevant?

Gareth

I absolutely agree with Gareth's statement. I have just flicked through my sub copy, and for the first time ever, it's actually gone straight into the recycling bin. I do appreciate it must be very tough for the mags these days, the internet strangles them. At least it saves me on subs!

My copy arrived this morning.  I have not yet finished reading it - a task for bedtime, I think - but I've had a glance through selected items.  One, the review of the Bachmann auto trailer, made me do a swift double-take.

Chris Leigh states that "these cars did not carry plain crimson".  I think he will find that nos. 235 - 244 were first outshopped bearing this livery.  In the Ian Allan colour album "Western Steam in Colour: Branch Lines" there are two photographs of crimson trailers.  One is on page 34 taken by Dick Riley at Yatton.  The other is on page 72 and shows 237 at Monmouth Troy.  I'm sure Chris will remember compiling the book, even if he does not recall signing my copy!

Chris

My comment about the colour is based on the book "Great Western Autotrailers" (Lewis/Wild Swan Publications) which says the second batch were outshopped in unlined maroon. On reflection, I guess the author may be mixing his maroon and crimson up, as so many people do. However, if that's the case, then I would have to argue that the Bachmann model is on the dark side for 'crimson' and the light side for 'maroon'. As usual, of course, colours have to be adapted to suit small scale models and accordingly it may be simply a matter of colour perception. Certainly the model is a good match to some colour illustrations but these will have been affected by both the emulsion rendering of the original slide and the inking in the book printing process so could be a long way from what the eye would have seen. In short - it looks OK, so maybe I shouldn't comment on what they've actually called the colour. Nice model, nice colour. I want a lined maroon one, though, as that's the only colour I saw 'in the flesh'.

CHRIS LEIGH

I take the opposite view. MR is much better now since Ben Jones left and BRM is worse now that he's there.

Sorry, that just comes across as plain rude towards Ben. Hold an opinion about the mag if you like but please don't behave in such a fashion.

Anyway, on the subject of non-modelling material in modelling magazines - I enjoy it.

My comment about the colour is based on the book "Great Western Autotrailers" (Lewis/Wild Swan Publications) which says the second batch were outshopped in unlined maroon. On reflection, I guess the author may be mixing his maroon and crimson up, as so many people do. However, if that's the case, then I would have to argue that the Bachmann model is on the dark side for 'crimson' and the light side for 'maroon'. As usual, of course, colours have to be adapted to suit small scale models and accordingly it may be simply a matter of colour perception. Certainly the model is a good match to some colour illustrations but these will have been affected by both the emulsion rendering of the original slide and the inking in the book printing process so could be a long way from what the eye would have seen. In short - it looks OK, so maybe I shouldn't comment on what they've actually called the colour. Nice model, nice colour. I want a lined maroon one, though, as that's the only colour I saw 'in the flesh'.

CHRIS LEIGH

Thanks, Chris.  The author is most certainly mixing his maroon and crimson and it is a thousand pities that he did so.  I've not seen a "crimson" trailer yet, for Bachmann had only the limed maroon and blood'n'custard on display at Peterborough.  My grasp of chemistry is insufficient to understand why red darkens as it fades but learned people say that it does.  This of course does not help the manufacturers get it right, whatever that is.

Chris

Anyway, on the subject of non-modelling material in modelling magazines - I enjoy it.

Yep, I don't mind some and do enjoy much of it (caravans, tractors and thrashing machines excepted).

But I guess the issue is how much can a model magazine include before it becomes a non-modelling magazine. And how much alternative transportation subjects can a railway magazine include before it's no longer a railway magazine.

I've not yet seen the issue in question despite being a subscriber (that damn non-postal delivery system some of us suffer from) so it'll be interesting. But in the end it will be about balance and each of us has a different tollerence/acceptance of how much is acceptable.

G.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Chris.  The author is most certainly mixing his maroon and crimson and it is a thousand pities that he did so.  I've not seen a "crimson" trailer yet, for Bachmann had only the limed maroon and blood'n'custard on display at Peterborough.  My grasp of chemistry is insufficient to understand why red darkens as it fades but learned people say that it does.  This of course does not help the manufacturers get it right, whatever that is.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Firstly, I really like the idea of limed maroon :-)  Does this mean the lining takes on a green tinge with age?

Secondly, I'm really not sure about red darkening with age.  As an empirical example, some people down the road from us had a red Volkswagen Polo that started red, but over the course of several years went almost pink as it faded.  I appreciate that paint formulations have moved on considerably in the 60 years since trains were being painted crimson and/or maroon, but I'd be interested to see examples of where the a colour has got darker with age - not least because it means I've been getting my weathering wrong for some time....

Z.G.

Sorry, that just comes across as plain rude towards Ben. Hold an opinion about the mag if you like but please don't behave in such a fashion.

No, it doesn't. It simply means I dont like his editorial style.

Hi Chris,

Firstly, I really like the idea of limed maroon :-)  Does this mean the lining takes on a green tinge with age?

Secondly, I'm really not sure about red darkening with age.  As an empirical example, some people down the road from us had a red Volkswagen Polo that started red, but over the course of several years went almost pink as it faded.  I appreciate that paint formulations have moved on considerably in the 60 years since trains were being painted crimson and/or maroon, but I'd be interested to see examples of where the a colour has got darker with age - not least because it means I've been getting my weathering wrong for some time....

Z.G.

Oh dear, another late night typo.  Can't even blame alcohol this time.

Red darkening with age is not logical, captain, I quite agree.  I hope Brian Kirby is reading this and will either corroborate or refute what I have written.  What I do know is that how red looks depends on many things - when, where and by whom it was applied, who made and mixed the paint, what is underneath, where the vehicle has been since it was painted and how long ago the paint was applied.  This is before we take into account the vagaries of colour film and printing processes and the weather prevailing when photographs were taken!

Chris 

Archived