A small ATTiny DCC Function Decoder for just $2,50

EDIT: I used the wrong word ... it's not a function decoder ... it is an accessory decoder.

If you like to have a really small DCC Accessory decoder that sets you back just some $2,50, the ATTiny might work for you.

The link below has a video that shows the ATtiny DCC decoder at work, as well as a download link for the Arduino software that is used.

Link to the ATTiny DCC Accessory Decoder

23410162ar.jpg

• 4 months later...

Rudy, brilliant work! I was thinking of putting a small decoder into a n-gauge coach to turn the lights on and off.

This decoder is a brilliant start!

It cannot be too hard to change this into an actual function decoder, is it?

More excellent stuff on your blog I must say!

If you are finding the 22mm x 18mm board a bit to big to accomodate there are alternative DIY decoder designs that can be made smaller. The standard 3-output DIY accessory decoder at dccdiy.org.uk is only 1/2" wide, and use surface mount components instead and you can make it much smaller.

Rudy, nice work! It looks like you still need to power the ATTiny with 5V though so by the time you add power supply circuitry (bridge rectifier +?) + opto coupler + ATTiny you are looking at something quite large. There are inexpensive commercial accessory decoders out there that are very small and inexpensive (e.g. Zimo MX820Z - 16 outputs for £25). Ok it's not as cheap (per output), but for the faff of assembling it yourself...?

I don't want to sound dismissive though. If you want to go down the DIY route then what you have done is very impressive!

If you are finding the 22mm x 18mm board a bit to big to accomodate there are alternative DIY decoder designs that can be made smaller. The standard 3-output DIY accessory decoder at dccdiy.org.uk is only 1/2" wide, and use surface mount components instead and you can make it much smaller.

Suzie, I can't see the decoder that you are referring to on this site (all the photos I found are huge and not using surface mount components). It might be better to provide a direct link if there is a specific page?

Guy

Hi Guy

The best place to look for detail is in the construction manual:-

http://dccdiy.org.uk/DIY%20Decoder%20Kit%20manual%20V1.09d.pdf

They are deliberately not surface mount so as to be easy to assemble using tools and materials you will have to hand. The pictures on the website show the 8-output variety - 3-output variety are the same but with three strips of the stripboard left off and a smaller (8-pin) processor used instead of the 14-pin processor.

Here is a picture of one that I made using the smaller processor:-

post-7495-0-10669000-1457451852_thumb.jpg

It is 17 holes long by 5 strips wide (12.5mm), and could be shortened by at least 3 holes if you are tight for space.

Suzie, is Paul Harman still active? I've noticed the site hasn't seen an update since 2011.

Paul occasionally posts on the support forum when required and can still supply some parts. It is always worth sending a mail to see what is available because the website does not get updated very often by the webmaster.

Thanks Suzie. It looks fairly comparable in overall size to be honest (although i appreciate that it can be shortened as you have said).

I am currently in the process of putting a Lenz gold mini into one of my scratch-built PTAs for a flashing taillight (over-kill at something like £40, but I had one spare). This project needed something less than 10mm width to fit in the very restricted space in the under frame of the wagon and I was looking for cheaper alternatives as I have several wagons to do.

Guy

The DIY Decoder project was based on Heiko Schroeter's Z-scale DIY decoder which was constructed by soldering all of the components around the motor in a Z-Scale loco without a PCB, so it is all possible if you leave out some of the nice-to-haves.

If you have a few to make it might be worth looking at making a PCB and using small surface mount components. The 16-QFN version of the PIC16F630 is about 3mm square so will save a lot of space. 

Archived