Conrail Blue

Colin Stewart

It also had different shades depending on which shop did the painting, when, and how much it had faded. When Juniata shops patched out the LMSX logos on the ex-LMS C40-8Ws (which were painted Conrail blue, probably at Juniata),the patches were a visibly different shade of blue. Since Juniata painted a lot of the Conrail stock I assume they knew what colour to use.

Adrian

I use Humbrol  matt 109 and slightly darker matt 56, But it's interesting to compare models. The current CR SW1500 from Athearn is darker than an older blue box GP38-2, the same with Atlas. The GP40 from the red box era is slightly lighter than the more recent B23-7. Try mixing Humbrol 56 with a little white for a fairly ex works look, or for the more weathered look 109 is light enough to give a good used look, particularly if you plan to go dirty!

Your question prompted me to look over some old scans that might be of interest, here at https://www.flickr.com/photos/51265696@N03/albums  - you need then to look at Conrail.

The early '90's shots show the main variance to be in cleanliness, whereas the final view in 1998 on the B&O at Mance is evidence of substantial fading, when contrasted with the patch painted sections.

John.

• 6 months later...

Archived