Liverpool & Manchester Railway (Replica) 2nd Coach

Introduction

Following completion of my Stephenson’s Rocket project http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103776-motorise-gbl-stephenson%E2%80%99s-rocket/,  I realised that seeing just one coach behind the loco looked rather odd. I bought a battered old Tri-ang Rocket coach, restored it and added it to the mix.

post-17793-0-44723600-1445399351_thumb.jpg

It still didn’t look right, in ln the light of many on-line images which show a blue open 2nd class replica coach as well as the yellow closed ones.

I searched on-line to see if I could find any suitable kits or other models to kitbash into a vehicle resembling this one: http://www.nrm.org.uk/OurCollection/LocomotivesAndRollingStock/CollectionItem.aspx?objid=1975-7036&pageNo=18

I found none. However, I decided to build a replica body, mounting it on an old Hornby wagon frame in the same way as done here: http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=2560

Resources

Hornby brake van chassis

Hornby 12.6mm dia wagon wheels

200 gsm white A4 card

2mm thick card (remnant from old Metcalfe kit)

Gimp software https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP

White PVA glue (Selleys “Aquadhere”)

Construction

The wagon frame started looking like this:

post-17793-0-45470200-1445399415_thumb.jpg

After removal of redundant details, provision of a suitable weight, replacement of the couplings and wheels, and a repaint, it looked like this:

post-17793-0-24677600-1445399466_thumb.jpg

I chose to make the body from 200gsm cardstock, which can be printed on my inkjet printer. I first downloaded a copy of the abovementioned image of the replica coach at the NRM. Then, using Gimp, I prepared flat jpg images of an end and a side, touching up some details with Windows Paint.

I then imported these images into MS Word and adjusted the sizes to be a good fit for the chassis and prepared three complete sets of sides – two needed for construction and one spare. L&M 2nd coach sides.docx I then printed the file and cut out two of the three sets.

I folded one and test fitted it to check that all was well before proceeding. (No problems.)

I then cut out a floor section from the 2mm thick card, to be a good fit inside the sides. Once happy with this, I then cut the second side set in two and reduced the lengths of each half to fit inside the first side set, so that each would reinforce the other at the corners. Once any adjustments were made, I glued the outer side skin to the floor and then fitted the inner skin.

After the glue had stabilised, I cut vertical partitions and seats from 2mm card and then glued them into the body. Any white edges were touched up with a light blue felt pen. The body now looked like this:

post-17793-0-26216100-1445399587_thumb.jpg

Interior surfaces and seats were then painted with Gloy teak paint.

The body was now fitted to the frame:

post-17793-0-29522400-1445399664_thumb.jpg

The body was then varnished/sealed with Humbrol satin clear.

All that remains is to fit some suitable passengers.

Meanwhile, my L&M vintage train now looks more complete:

post-17793-0-67044400-1445399714_thumb.jpg

Reflection

This was a very quick project:

• Image download manipulation – about 4 hours
  • Construction – about 3 hours.

All materials used were in stock, either as spares or office supplies, so the marginal cost for this work was nil!

This train will be running from time to time on the St Lukes Railway Modellers’ layout, together with Hornby live steam, at our club’s exhibition on 14-15 November 2015.

Other details are:

Saturday 14th November:          Exhibition               9am to 5pm

Sunday   15th November:           Church Service    9.30am – 11am

Morning Tea:       11am

Exhibition           12noon – 4pm

Where?

St Luke’s Anglican Church

155-157 Galston Road

Hornsby Heights, NSW, Australia

Archived