Fitting A Driver Into A Heljan Class 35 Hymek?

Hello Everyone,

I wish to fit a driver figure into the cab interior (I am happy to slice their legs off to make it all fit as I have done this to get them to fit inside the cab with other models!) of my sole Heljan Class 35 Hymek locomotive to give her some life. The problem is that the interior section is stuck right in and I don't want to break anything or crack the shell whilst trying to remove the thing from its place. Its as stubborn as a disinterested cow to use humour here as the thing just won't budge at all! I would much be grateful for any advice on this matter please :).

Thanks in advance

Ash.

If the cab interiors are 'permanently' cemented in and resist all reasonable efforts to break them out then you are stuck on that approach, and need to think of an alternative method.

How about carefully mapping the seat position onto the underside of the moulding, drilling a pilot hole so you can check you have the location right, then opening this out and inserting driver from below? (I am not saying  this will be very simple, or carries no risks, and is not something I have ever needed to do.)

My experience with Heljan locomotives is that they very rarely use glue - even the side windows can pop out and get lost when removing the bodies, as I found with my Hymek and a class 33.

The cab interiors are usually just a very firm clip fit into their locations and require a little bravery in spreading the body sides sufficiently to release them. Even so, check carefully for any signs of glue around your cab interior before trying anything. If there is glue, you'll have to do what some of us did with our Dapol class 22s, which had rather heavily glued cab interiors, and that is to pare away repeatedly with a sharp knife until you loosen the cab fitting from the body shell enough to lever it out.

• RMweb Premium

Not much help I'm afraid (apart from sympathy!) but I've encountered the same problem with both Class 23 'Baby Deltics' that I own - the cab interiors are very solidly glued in!  I hoped the first may have been an aberration in having too much glue applied, but the second was just the same.

I don't have many Heljan locos but the others that I own (one each of Classes 15, 16 and 26) are as described by SRman, not glued in at all but just retained by lugs, and easy to get out.

Thanks to 34B/D for a potential (if drastic) solution, which I will consider.

I couldn't resist taking a prod at the two examples of class 23 that I own, and the cab interior did indeed seem solidly cemented in place. But using a strong light, the only evidence of any cement having been used was on the centre tab locator on the roof underside engaging a broad tab in the top of the cab bulkhead. Inserting a slim blade in the gap alongside the locator, and then twisting it, 'snapped out' the cement bond very cleanly, and the interior fitting slides out.

Never owned the Hymek, but it is possible this may have similar construction.

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't resist taking a prod at the two examples of class 23 that I own, and the cab interior did indeed seem solidly cemented in place. But using a strong light, the only evidence of any cement having been used was on the centre tab locator on the roof underside engaging a broad tab in the top of the cab bulkhead. Inserting a slim blade in the gap alongside the locator, and then twisting it, 'snapped out' the cement bond very cleanly, and the interior fitting slides out.

Never owned the Hymek, but it is possible this may have similar construction.

Thanks, I'll give it a try sometime and see how it goes.

Update.

I have got the cab module out and it took a few strokes with the scalpel to break the glue bond but I got it out in the end and here is the end result:

22366627545_fa71e4a329.jpgHeljan Class 35 Cab Fitted With Kato Driver and Conductor. by BritishRail60062, on Flickr

22179757059_6c3e4c800c.jpgHeljan Class 35 Cab Fitted With Kato Driver and Conductor. by BritishRail60062, on Flickr

21743846244_303aee42de.jpgHeljan Class 35 Cab Fitted With Kato Driver and Conductor. by BritishRail60062, on Flickr

The end results of patience and time. Just need to wait until the Copydex has dried before putting it all back together again :).

Great work!

Just one suggestion: don't glue the interiors back in. If they really need something to stop them moving, use Blu-Tack or similar. That will forestall any future problems if you need to remove them again.

Thanks for the tip.

I haven't needed to glue the cab module back into its place because it seems to be firmly held in place with its clips as I didn't cut these off. But for some reason on my model. The cab modules were both clipped and glued into place which came away once I sliced the glue bond and they unclipped without too much resistance. Here is a couple more photos of my finished mod that I ahve done with my DSLR this time around for better clarity :).

21746026204_5a55dfa1f0.jpg

Heljan Class 35 Hymek with Kato Crew in Cab by BritishRail60062, on Flickr

22368807515_09cd862188.jpg

Heljan Class 35 Hymek with Kato Crew in Cab by BritishRail60062, on Flickr

It surely looks better with a crew inside the cab :).

Archived