Twin speaker crossover theory

BR_Blue_1986

I was wondering if it's possible to have a twin speaker setup but install it like a bookshelf speaker and use a larger speaker for the lower frequency sounds and the second speaker being smaller and more suitable to mid range and treble to do mid to high frequency using a crossover?

I'm in o gauge so space isn't such an issue but I didn't know if this had been discussed before.

Regards

Edd

It's feasible, after all it's only audio power we're dealing with. In that respect it's no different from any other sound reproduction.

Whether it is worthwhile is an entirely different can of worms.

As long as the impedance of the overall "speaker system" is within the limits for the sound chip, there's no reason not to try it. Grab a bookshelf speaker, hook it up to your sound decoder & try it.

I dont use a cross over and just rely on natural speaker characteristics.

I find that by having a big bass speaker inside the body and a tweeter style speaker in the fuel tank firing down you get a very good frequency spread and good sound.

And to add. Using the Loksound XL with the two speaker outputs on it gets over the serial parallel issues. It's easy to use different speakers with different resistive values and there is even the ability to add hardware volume controls for balancing.

A capacitor in series to the tweeter (high pass), and an inductor in series to the midrange (low pass) might be worth experimenting with, to assess if there is any audible effect worth having. (If you want to do more, look up speaker networks on line for endless - and I do mean endless - opinion)

If you can rig up a small external circuit board on the model with one of each of the speaker leads going through with terminals to allow temporary series insertion of the components, that makes the effects easier to hear by component value substitution, and shorting across them, for direct 'with/without' component comparisons with the sound playing.You can then try each speaker independently, before trying both in combination: worth writing a test sequence and taking notes so you don't lose track. (This is one of the ways you tinker with your hifi speakers to tune them for a particular room and your own hearing characteristics - yes it is not just my model railway product I fiddle around with to get it to work to my liking.)

Archived