00 gauge Standards

JeremyC

• RMweb Gold

so straight track ends up having a substantially wider gauge than it really needs.

Hi Andy,

Likewise a lot of curved track above the typical train-set radii.

Which makes it sensible to reduce the gauge a bit, to say 16.2mm, where the gauge widening isn't needed. More info at: http://4-sf.uk

regards,

Martin.

• 3 months later...

Just finished reading through this topic (only took an hour) and guess what folks I'm still none the wiser, why do we as modellers have to argue about this lifes to short and yes I have built track in both oo and em using C and L chairs tail and gauges. Did it by guess,luck and Mr Rice,s book on track building and it worked!!! So my thoughts are pick one standard/set of rules and stick to em. If anyone tells you your wrong tell them its my track and it works!

Steve

The trouble is that the average modeller thinks anything with 00 in its title is the same, do try and simply explain the differences of each subset, their eyes quite naturally glaze over

Having said that, quite rightly the average modeller wants a standard that accepts the stock they buy without alteration/adaption and works 

So my thoughts are pick one standard/set of rules and stick to em. 

I know you didn't intend it this way, but advising people to stick to "em" (in the 18.2 mm way) is terrific advice. One modern track standard that accepts numerous wheel profiles. And no more RTR BTB headaches  :jester:

(the advice given as intended is just as good--catholic and wise)

Quentin

Archived