GWR Green HST Respray (Power Cars Finished!)

I've just found this while researching.

Fantastic work and one of the best looking liveries around.
I'm currently attempting to do the same repaint and modification on the old original Hornby HST power cars.

I've not really taken photos but have a couple of videos on youtube or the progress so far.

Picked up some good info here.

Thanks

Chris

• 2 years later...

I have just returned to rail modelling after a long absence and saw this thread from a few years ago. I can't afford (or understand) all this DCC stuff so I am using old second hand DC models to develop my skills again.

I love the new GWR livery but I am not sure how dark the green should be.   Pictures are difficult to interpret as the colour seems to vary depending on the light    That said,  I think my first effort is a bit too light.

HST_GWR.jpg

6 minutes ago, GJE52 said:

I have just returned to rail modelling after a long absence and saw this thread from a few years ago. I can't afford (or understand) all this DCC stuff so I am using old second hand DC models to develop my skills again.

I love the new GWR livery but I am not sure how dark the green should be.   Pictures are difficult to interpret as the colour seems to vary depending on the light    That said,  I think my first effort is a bit too light.

Why did you find the DCC bashing necessary? It is completely irrelevant for a respray, but older models are great for practising.

Good luck with the respray though. Hornby's HST always had a fairly good shape. I feel its light clusters let it down; they rarely fit properly.

You will need to do something about this anyway to convert it to spot lights.

Lighting is always a tricky issue. There cannot be many with daylight-temperature room lighting (although I have), but what is 'daylight' anyway? Many colours & finishes look different in bright sunlight than on a cloudy day.

On 27/01/2020 at 13:54, GJE52 said:

Out of interest, which paint did you use?

12 hours ago, GJE52 said:

RAL 6005 - Moss Green, Acrylic, Gloss 90% With a satin varnish top coat as I find the gloss finish looks to "Toy like" for me.

Hi

I used Phoenix Precision (enamel) GWR green for my respray and, after decals, a coat of their gloss varnish and it looks no different to my purchased Hornby one.

Did a respray as wanted the Legends PC prior to Hornby announcing they were going to produce it.

i do not think your colour is too far off though and a great attempt if you have just started.

John

Thanks.  

It has been many years since I did any scale modelling. I am using "rattle cans" atm, as I don't have an airbrush, so my choice of colours is a bit limited. I take it you do. Whatever I decide on though, I will do a full rake in the same shade. I currently have some mk3 coaches soaking in IPA to remove the paint.  As it will be a stand alone set - so as long as it all matches and looks close enough, that will be fine for me. However, once I have finished this project, I will probably invest in one.

• 5 months later...
On 31/01/2020 at 07:23, JohnC said:

Hi

I used Phoenix Precision (enamel) GWR green for my respray and, after decals, a coat of their gloss varnish and it looks no different to my purchased Hornby one.

Did a respray as wanted the Legends PC prior to Hornby announcing they were going to produce it.

i do not think your colour is too far off though and a great attempt if you have just started.

John

Do you have the exact name/number of the paint you used? I’ve just used British racing green on a Bachmann turbo and it looks black almost. 

• 1 year later...
On 31/01/2020 at 07:23, JohnC said:

Hi

John

Hi John I'm doing a respray of various locos, HSTs and coaches into the current GWR livery...do you have the exact Phoenix paint code for the one  you used please? 

Cheers Grizz

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Hi Grizz 

I used Phoenix P241 First Great Western Green and bought it from Rainbow Railways.

regards

John

Hi John, thanks so much for getting back to me with that info. I'll get an order off to them this afternoon...👍