Feltham Road MPD

RAY NORWOOD

I thought it was about time I started a new layout, and I always thought of building a loco depot with a turntable, to run all my loco's. The size is 8ftx2ft 2x4ftx2ft boards, the scenic area being 6ft with a 1ft sector plate leading to storage sidings making the hole length 8ftwith the legs folding up underneath. It will be operated by DCC with MERG DCC control system, the points will operated by servo motors with MERG servo boards, these will not be DCC operated but using toggle switch's with frog polarity from these switch's. The turntable will be operated by a stepper motor with the electrics from MERG again. The track work will be hand built with C&L components but not the sleeper, I will be cutting the sleepers from 1mm thick plywood with my bandsaw. I drew the track plane on templot not an easy program to master.

post-3746-0-04927400-1445531571_thumb.jpg

This is the track plane done on Templot, as you can see the sector plate is on the left with the storage sidings from the sector plate and the turntable on the right.

post-3746-0-14263000-1445528724_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-37774800-1445528739_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-48941900-1445528758_thumb.jpg

The well on this board is for the sector plate. I will be using draw runners layed flat.

post-3746-0-71688000-1445528783_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-50607900-1445528808_thumb.jpg

These two photos are printed from templot layed on top of the boards.

post-3746-0-02943000-1445528837_thumb.jpg

I picked the name as I was a fireman at Feltham back in the 60s till closure. I put the name road in the name as it is not the plane of Feltham its self, and it would be to big for the size to get in the car. so I did my own plane and called it Feltham Road.

• Like 10

I went to the Feltham School, beside Feltham marshalling yard, from 1969 to 1974.  Every day I walked over the Hanworth Road bridge across the yard throat (A horrible bridge that is far too narrow for any sort of modern traffic, never mind the volume that uses it nowadays.  I once nearly got the back of my skull stoved in by the nearside mirror of a lorry on that bridge).  The yard had not long gone out of use but was still entirely intact and it was quite sad to see it slowly decline and be reclaimed by nature.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We moved to Feltham in the mid-late 70's and on my train spotting days in London would often pass a very over-grown Feltham yard.

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Do you have any photos of your steam days at the yard?

Thanks,

Having seen your superb Hounslow Sidings, I am looking forward to see this MPD develop, plus it's Southern.

Hi

Thank you for your comments on Hounslow Sidings. So you are a lover of the southern railway, I always like the south western section, as I was brought up and lived most of my life there.

I went to the Feltham School, beside Feltham marshalling yard, from 1969 to 1974.  Every day I walked over the Hanworth Road bridge across the yard throat (A horrible bridge that is far too narrow for any sort of modern traffic, never mind the volume that uses it nowadays.  I once nearly got the back of my skull stoved in by the nearside mirror of a lorry on that bridge).  The yard had not long gone out of use but was still entirely intact and it was quite sad to see it slowly decline and be reclaimed by nature.

Hi Mike

Yes that is a bad bridge as it has got a very narrow path over it. The shed was pulled down and a post office deportment was built there and the road that went down to the shed was rebuilt farther down the road then there is the cemetery next to the road entering the shed. Happy times.

We moved to Feltham in the mid-late 70's and on my train spotting days in London would often pass a very over-grown Feltham yard.

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Do you have any photos of your steam days at the yard?

Thanks,

Hi Neal

I did not see the east end again till the mid 70s as I moved to Peterbourgh in 1968 and come back in the mid 70s. The west end and the yard as you say was all overgrown, but the clock tower was still there for a very long time.

Sorry Neal no photos only the ones I found on the internet.

Looking forward to following this Ray especially the hand build track.

Cheers, Paul

Hi PJ

I have done hand built track on my first exhibition layout (Yard Shunter) all with C&L components and plywood sleepers also the points. With Hounslow Sidings I only hand built the points. Both of these layout a on RMweb.

• RMweb Gold

Did you ever run down the line to the ordnance depot? I remember seeing the gate on the high street where it came out and ran down Browells Lane into the depot. Between Woolworths and another shop as I recall.

The yard and shed area are now well overgrown, with sizeable trees having sprung up over the years.

We still get steam specials coming through, the sound carries acros the area very well.

Are you going for the concrete style of shed that Feltham had?

Mark

(still a local to 70B)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi PJI have done hand built track on my first exhibition layout (Yard Shunter) all with C&L components and plywood sleepers also the points. With Hounslow Sidings I only hand built the points. Both of these layout a on RMweb.

Thanks Ray looking forward to to reading them all :)

Cheers, Paul

Will it be ready for Taunton on Saturday mate ? Haha

Joking apart, hope to see you there and catch up, looking forward to this new layout Ray ( minus the dandruff eh!)

Cheers matey

One unusual feature of Feltham yard was that the River Crane ran under the Whitton end of the yard in a long tunnel with a second tunnel beside it.  I'm told the second tunnel was to allow the Hussars convenient access to Hounslow Heath,   What a feature that would make!  I walked through the tunnel a few times and reckon it was about 20 feet wide and twelve feet high with a squelchy floor.

Edited by mike morley

Morning Ray, I've just tuned into Radio Norwood and found yet another little beauty in the offing. I love Depot Layouts and that's why I've built West Shed, I just wish I had the room for a Turntable. My only comment would be;

''A'' Why not view from the other side / bottom of the Plan so that the Shed hides the entrance to the Fiddle Yard. 

Or

''B'' have the backscene so that it can go on either side so that the Layout can be varied at Shows and viewed from one side at one show, and the other side for a show in the same area for variety.

Looking forward and will follow with interest, BUT No Snow this time PLEASE. :O 

• RMweb Gold

One unusual feature of Feltham yard was that the River Crane ran under the Whitton end of the yard in a long tunnel with a second tunnel beside it.  I'm told the second tunnel was to allow the Hussars convenient access to Hounslow Heath,   What a feature that would make!  I walked through the tunnel a few times and reckon it was about 20 feet wide and twelve feet high with a squelchy floor.

Didn't know about the Hussars, but as a youngster who went to Crane School and who lived within earshot of the shunting of the yard every night I often used to be daring and venture through the tunnel. We also used to hang about the bridge at the west end of the yard by The Airman pub and wave at the drivers of the 08 shunters who would sometimes give us a ride in their loco around the yard as long as we kept our heads low by the control tower. The lines of redundant S15s and the odd Q1 and W Class also proved irristable to playing on the footplates and playing as drivers and fireman.

The last loco I recall seeing in the yard was a Class 74 seen from a 111 bus bound for Hounslow where we had just moved to.

We also messed about in the old Union Construction Company's works and their rubbish filled air raid shelters, this was the company that made the famous Feltham tramcars and some underground stock for London Transport before the war.

Indeed happy days.

Kevin

• Like 2

Did you ever run down the line to the ordnance depot? I remember seeing the gate on the high street where it came out and ran down Browells Lane into the depot. Between Woolworths and another shop as I recall.

The yard and shed area are now well overgrown, with sizeable trees having sprung up over the years.

We still get steam specials coming through, the sound carries acros the area very well.

Are you going for the concrete style of shed that Feltham had?

Mark

(still a local to 70B)

Hi Mark

I did not go down there, but I do remember it being there. there was a post office built were the shed was and some more units, I think one was Honeywell the computer people.

I was thinking of building the as near to the original as possible.

Thanks for the comments.

Edited by RAY NORWOOD

:beee:

Will it be ready for Taunton on Saturday mate ? Haha

Joking apart, hope to see you there and catch up, looking forward to this new layout Ray ( minus the dandruff eh!)

Cheers matey

Sorry mate Dandruff who's got it, I'm bold as a coot :beee:.  No there will be no snow on this one.

• Like 1

Morning Ray, I've just tuned into Radio Norwood and found yet another little beauty in the offing. I love Depot Layouts and that's why I've built West Shed, I just wish I had the room for a Turntable. My only comment would be;

''A'' Why not view from the other side / bottom of the Plan so that the Shed hides the entrance to the Fiddle Yard. 

Or

''B'' have the backscene so that it can go on either side so that the Layout can be varied at Shows and viewed from one side at one show, and the other side for a show in the same area for variety.

Looking forward and will follow with interest, BUT No Snow this time PLEASE. :O 

Hi Andy

I promise not snow on this one mate.

A That sounds like a good idea.

b It's a good idea but a lot work with the backscene.

Thank for your comments mate.

• Like 1

I am going to operate the turntable with the MERG Stepper Motor, I had built one for my layout up in the loft, I built last year, and done a blog of this stepper motor in the building stag(see link below), I am also going to use a Dapol turntable.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1630/entry-14591-merg-stepper-motor-turntable/

So watch this space.

• Like 2