Edwardian

Probably zero comfort in your present circumstances, but there always comes a point when one is looking back at the c**p periods in ones life ...... They do come to an end.

Possibly of more practical help: batten down all hatches! There is one fierce storm blowing over the bottom half of the country just now, and it is heading north.

Kevin

Thanks.  I came back on because I had forgotten to say "thanks" to you all, both for the intelligent and helpful content and for the expressions of support.

But, now, Olddudders, your kind words have opened up the waterworks.  Yes, I'm crying.

Time to go. 

• 1 month later...

Nil desperandum.

Well, last night, in the rain and the dark, I got the family and most of our possessions into a rental house.  Things will be a bit dicey until we off load our house, which I simply cannot afford to keep up, but I think we have bought a few weeks respite and it is a positive start to 2016.

At our new abode there is a small outbuilding that I can use  for a layout!  It is too damp, has no mains power and needs insulating.  A stream currently runs through it!  But, the roof and stone walls appear sound. I may need to dig out the ground to the rear wall and install a French Drain to combat the damp.  I have neither time nor funds to attend to it now, but, hopefully, by the Spring I may be able to make it habitable for models.

There will be no Merstham in the foreseeable future, as that project is far too big.  

The outbuilding is approx. 16'10" x 10'6". 

I have (when I can retrieve it) a much dilapidated former exhibition layout.  Scenically it's toast and the electrics defy me, but, it has some beautiful OO trackwork to finescale standards. I think I can configure the surviving boards to (just) fit into the outbuilding. 

This should give me both an incentive and a head start. 

As it is likely to be the only layout for a time, it will have to be all things to all men.  I will stick to a similar timeframe to that I had envisaged for Merstham (1906-1914), but it will be a fictional location and will (I'm afraid) have to be geographically ambiguous.  It will have to house not only LBSC, but Great Western, LNWR, LSWR and anything else I have to hand (though not necessarily all at once!).  As the infrastructure was/is/will continue to be GWR, some traffic will have to rely heavily on Rule No. 1.   I will try to add a narrow gauge feeder line, upon which any and all OO9 stuff will similarly have to mix it.  

Yes, a bit contrived, but it gets me a layout on which most of what I have can find a home.  Prototype projects must await world enough and time.

There is much to do to get our new home functioning and to earn a living and to sell our house down south, so I don't expect to be posting any progress any time soon, but after my gloomy departure from the forum I wanted to report that light has now been glimpsed at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks again for all the kind wishes and Happy New Year to all!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Delighted to hear you have some temporary respite, and that modelling may become feasible in due course.

Keep us posted, and perhaps in the short term we will see you in other parts of RMweb where your knowledge may add value.

Happy New Year!

• RMweb Premium

Really pleased to see a new post from you, it all sounded so black in November. It seems there's still a load of stuff to do, but glad to see you're going forward. Please keep us posted, and good luck with 2016.

• RMweb Gold

Edwardian,

I am so pleased that you seem to have settled.  I hope you manage to sell your house quickly.  Depending on where it is, type and price I think it is becoming more of a sellers market so it may not take long.

Hope you goes well for you and your family this year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we are reduced to pretty much giving the house away in order to get shot of it.  Fingers crossed it sells(!).  I doubt we will ever be in a position to buy again, but we love our little rental cottage, and will remain there for the foreseeable. Hope to be out of the woods soon.

Modelling will recommence, I hope, within a matter of weeks. 

In the meantime, a cheerful, if slightly risqué, image to maintain the period feel:

post-25673-0-75424300-1453291079_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Very good to hear that the sun is beginning to come out again.

I know the Brighton was always "the naughty line", but mightn't that simply be his wife an niece?

This one always makes me laugh, not that it is pre-grouping. Did the artist mishear "Biarritz" when commissioned to produce it? Bognor never looked like that when I was there.

K

post-26817-0-40960700-1453292871.jpg

• Like 2

Well, the posters provoked 2 thoughts.  One was, indeed, "B-gger Bognor", though I am not sure whether I prefer it to "Dawson, what the bl**dy Hell are you doing with that needle?!?" 

As for the pneumatic lady on the Brighton poster, are we to assume that she is the eponymous "Southern Belle"?  I had thought that was a train ....

Something of the Duchess of Portsmouth about her ...

post-25673-0-13810900-1453304636.jpg

• Like 1