Thanks.

The flawless blue sky, the golden-yellow sand, the deep lapis lazuli of the sea, the even bronze tan of the raven-haired beauty all make me think of .... Bognor?!? 

On the other hand, perhaps George V had been misinformed?

Then, again, maybe not....

post-25673-0-04516800-1453311587.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Continuing with implausible posters, if Bognor was confused with Biarritz, Bexhill was clearly mixed-up with Bikini Atoll, during an air-burst test.

K

Au contraire, I have beheld ladies sunbathing at Bexhill, St Leonards and Hastings for whom the upper portion of the bikini was clearly seen as de trop.

• RMweb Premium

At last Bognor and Bexhill weren't reduced to using as their slogan "The drier side of the country". You will notice that the Skegness fisherman is well wrapped up against the wind which probably came, without any obstructions, from the Urals.

But only the GWR could claim that its trains went to Italy while I only recently discovered that thr LMS went beyond Ireland.

Jonathan

post-13650-0-01209600-1453391919_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Edinburgh, the Athens of the North, I get.  The Cornish Riviera, I get.     Welsh Rockies?

There's not just the Riviera in Cornwall, there's the Cornish Alps too.

(Mid Cornwall, Cornish Clay arisings) - Twixt India Queens & St. Austell.

• Like 2

I thought to myself "This would be a great poster for the Merstham layout, as it apparently dates from 1906, the start of the period depicted".  Yes, truly, I have such thoughts.

Then I thought:

• But it will be years before you can embark upon such a project
  • Identifying a poster suitable for a future model railway is a bit like saying 'I am qualified to become a Lion Tamer because I have my own hat' 
  • The only station would be South Eastern (Duh)

But, still, it's a nice poster, and more on topic than sheep:

post-25673-0-93743900-1453473233_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Just a staff suggestion, boss, bin it and nuffin more will be said, but looking at your poster, don't you think you've got the basis of a lovely little layout encapsulated in that poster? Yard of plain track on a plank, small overbridge halfway along to define the known world, some space behind the track for a small platform, shelter like say Cooksbridge, and the poster giving the basis for a scenic backdrop, Pevensey? Terrier with push pull if you can't fix a steam car. Keep it simple, and all that. Also much better for your pocket and time and space in the present circumstances.

• Like 3

I think this started out as a motor train halt . K

PS: Is the station name punctuated correctly? If it is "the bay of the Normans", shouldn't it be "Normans' Bay"? As it is, it reads to me as if the place belongs to one chap, called Norman (maybe that's him, emerging from that masterpiece of vernacular architecture). Input from the well-educated urgently sought.

PPS: this is confusing ....... Earlier OS map "Normans Bay Halt"; slightly later one "Normans' Bay Halt"; the station name boards, and the definitive history of the LBSCR "Norman's Bay". I think the place name was invented by the LBSCR anyway, and that the Halt might have been called "Pevensey Sluice", which is the nearest place of (in)significance, for a few months, until it was realised how un inviting that sounded, so maybe they did think it belonged to good old Norm.

post-26817-0-88036900-1453483031.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

I suspect the LBSC is guilty of apostrophe crime, which carries a death sentence in our house.

Anyway, a fascinating prospect, and all from you chaps seeing the possibilities in a poster.

So, probably a more credible motor rail halt/halte, Norman's [sic] Bay, versus a really lovely shelter, Cooksbridge, all set in the verdant countryside from that poster, like something from a Reginald Dalby illustration to the Railway Series:

post-25673-0-79305100-1453496923.jpg

post-25673-0-64847100-1453496943.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 4

Well, I think an interwar scene at Norm's place would look great. Seaside grot at its finest.

Here, as a Pullman train passes, we can see the dense urbanisation that the opening of the station led to.

In the 1970s, the tiny road from the station to the beachhead here was (in)famous as the place where ladies who traded on Eastbourne sea front (in the day time) would be taken by their (allegedly geriatric) clients, reason being that beds of very tall reeds fringe the road, and provide secluded spots in gateways. Favoured sport among railway maintenance staff was to drive up very quietly in the big yellow crew-bus, stop across a gateway, then blare the horn, causing immense consternation and possibly heart-attack.

post-26817-0-35225900-1453498227_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Having Googled Normans Bay and it has no apostrophe, unless it is the one in Canada.  I assumed apparently wrongly it was something to do with the Normans, but it was under water in 1066.  It sounds like a good project for a small space, and I do like the white shelter.

• RMweb Gold

A late colleague - his photo colection is online courtesy of the Bluebell - had gone to inspect Pevensey Sluice Crossing. When it was manned. The following exchange happened back in the Croydon office next day.

John "I talked to the crossing keeper, and he insisted on showing me his indicators."

Boss Mike "Did you show him your indicators, John?"

Hmm, somewhat going off the Bay of Norman; no predatory old goats or ladies of negotiable affection have a place in my innocent little fantasy world.  Though, perhaps a little bit of Seaside Picture Postcard sauce wouldn't hurt.

Worse, though, Kevin, your picture was full of caravans!

Judging from the flashbacks your post induced, I am clearly still suffering from PCSD (Post Caravaning Stress Disorder), so, there will be NO MORE CARAVANS in my life, either full size or miniature!

post-25673-0-22364600-1453533834_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-12623800-1453533846_thumb.jpg