BRM DECEMBER 2015 + FREE DVD

I got my copy in the post today and just did my usual scan through and read, with interest and thought, the Industry Opinion article at the back. Is it any wonder that outside of magazines the big suppliers do not overpromote our hobby when the state of the real world thing is treated with ridicule at every opportunity. Poor rail operations, overcrowded commuter trains, unable to cope with the british winter, maintenance schedules that correspond with public holidays, overpriced journeys if you want to really get somewhere, you can fly across Europe with accomodation included for half the price than you can catch a train from north to south at certain times. Not always the most socially friendly or considerate environments to travel in nowadays. Maybe when the real thing takes a good look at itself and gets some pride and reputation  back then the producers of the miniature world will be brave enough to hold their head up without fear of having to be associated with its bigger brother and suffer the same level of disinterest from the non-modelling public.? Lets face it people like models of any kind because they feel a bond with the real thing. How many people are there in the UK that can honestly say they love our current railways? The majority of railway modellers do it for the nostalgic aspect they don't want to model the problems above, sad I know.

Anyway great magazine :imsohappy:

Cheers

John Geeeee

Hi All :)

I very much enjoyed the DVD O Gauge Garden Railway feature with Roy Daffen's layout (has it ever appeared in BRM or am I missing something here?), could have done with even more of that an hours worth or more - wonderful!

John I can see what you are saying, yet the issues are complex and multifaceted.

In the briefest and simplest of terms, I think that the real-world railway gets an unfair press a lot of the time, eg. the ill advised privatisation of the industry was, as always, poorly executed, despite the hard work of those within at the time. Why? Often too much self interest within the government of the time, any government, too much dogma and too many misguided ideologies. I am apolitical BTW before anyone asks. Just prior to privatisation BR was doing pretty well on a shoe-string budget, yet that isnt often widely reported. Take for example Railtrack, privatisation was driven by a CEO (and cohorts) who had made a mess of BP and did the same with Railtrack (even the workers within were doing their very best to make-do and mend) - funny how these CEO types get given a 'golden hand shake' and never get sacked. Off balance sheet accounting and outsourcing is grossly misunderstood by TPTB - or is it? Even if, when privatised the same or similar organisation is still doing poorly, the public just perceive 'the same old same old', when behind the scene certain players, ie those in the city, have made a fortune out of the sale/privatisation. The NHS is being set up for such a fall as I write this. Many railway workers still work hard and by and large are friendly, skilled, dedicated and knowledgeable folk (but tacit knowledge is being lost, or more than likely, the baby is being thrown out with the bathwater!). Notwithstanding such, when less then ten years old, when not playing with my pristine train-set on my bedroom floor (later an 8 x 4 board in the garage), my father would take me, when on holiday, or on days out to the seaside, to Salisbury, Bournemouth or Swindon stations (just to keep me quiet I suppose) I saw the dirt, filth and decay, the noise of the class 33's scared but fascinated me. What did I do? I came home, at that tender age and started to 'weather' my models (although I didnt know that was what such was called at the time ). Some would say I ruined good models, but I had fun doing it - I found those visits inspiring as a budding model-maker, despite all the dirt, detritus (I am being polite about what often sat on the track or in the Cess - we later called the removal of such 'The Litter Clearance Contract'), grime and noise.

Re the hobby and its state of play, Rod Stewart was bigging up the hobby this week again as he promotes his new single and album.

IMHO the industry insider's (Tail Lamp) view is quite perceptive - as it is most of the time :derisive:  - in terms of where the hobby will be in 15-20 yrs - if we continue on our current course/path - but I wonder how many of the grey-beards are really that concerned about the continuation of the hobby,now, in their dotage, and after?

I was lucky when younger in that in our local model club we had a group of honourable fellows who encouraged myself and others to persevere with our model-making whatever the discipline, later on in life Jack Ray encouraged me, as he did many others too - but some of these fellows are no longer with us.

I also think that, from what I have heard from the trade and manufacturers et al, 'box collectors and RTR/RTP fans' (each to their own and no value judgements made, just an observation) are missing a trick by not tackling a kit every now and again. I also think that we are loosing tacit knowledge at a rapid rate of knots re the 'doing' part of the hobby as less and less of the old guard are here to pass such on and/or are not writing about their model-making as much as they once did (for a myriad of reasons). Perhaps there will come a time, when box collectors et al will want to do some modelling (perhaps when the kids have left home etc etc) and my concern is that by that time much of this tacit knowledge (and associated skills) will be lost and thus there will be no one to pass such on. By that time will any of the mags cater for such, will there still be mags to support the hobby?

My friends and I saw a young lady building small scale (cant recall whether or not it was 2mm or 3mm - sorry) scale model van kits at a show recently, she was very knowledgeable and was making an excellent job of them and was, as I was I, trusted to use a knife/scalpel at that age. This young lady was even carving off moulded detail and adding etch brass 'V' hangers - it was really encouraging to see a youngster doing such - and putting some men-folk (box collectors :derisive:  :cry: ) two and three times her age to shame! My friend's kids recently spent a couple of happy hours building Airfix kits at the local Hornby/Airfix shop, they had smiles on their faces for the rest of the day. :yes:  :imsohappy: So we know that creative hobbies are pleasurable, therapeutic as well as being educational and that kids enjoy partaking in them and with supervision and education (ie the passing on of that tacit knowledge) that they can be, after a certain age, trusted to handle tools and equipment safely. So why arnt there more doing it?

Friends in the retail trade tell me that kids 'come in to the shop filled with enthusiasm and excitement' and want to have eg. a cheap model kit to build, perhaps a Spitfire which comes, with paints, glue etc. Its the parents that sneer or throw a spanner in the works with phrases like; 'you will make a mess on our new kitchen table' or 'I haven't the time to help you with that - here's your iPad'. As my better half is a Nanny with 30 years experience (as are many of her friends), at the start of a contract/job these days they very often have to wean their charges off of electronic toys and devices so as to help give these kids a broader and more rounded education and experience ie such as Forest School etc etc. I hate to say it but many parents use the TV and or iPads/Tablets as 'baby-sitters' as they sit down and glug a bottle of wine after a hard day. Its the Nanny's that have to provide an exemplary 110% service, often bringing up dozens and dozens of kids in their careers, yet like all customers the parents know best :no2:  :sarcastichand: .

Add into the mix the weird bias against railway modellers and model railways (a small amount of such maybe justified), when eg. dressing up (in ever changing and ever more expensive kit of clothes) as 'Rooney' and shouting abuse at an opposing team every Saturday is seen as normal, sane, behaviour (again no value judgements, just an observation). But we, as a hobby, dont help ourselves, at times, do we? Eg. How often is the hobby promoted in the mainstream press etc etc?

I joked with my partner, as I momentarily watched some poor soul crying on Bake-off (because something had come out of the oven as a disaster), then found myself shouting at the TV; ' Its just a bl@@dy cake - people are dying of starvation on the other side of the world!' (Im getting old n grumpy so it would seem :help: ). I also came up with an alternative version of the programme, but with the challenge to build a model/model railway as the TV challenge (with fake added-in jeopardy). My other half said; 'Dont be silly love people would find that type of programme boring' (I have to state that swmbo likes steam trains and is very tolerant of my model-making). I merely pointed at the TV (Bake-Off, or insert any similar phenomena such as Downton Abbey - as an ex muso and amateur musician please dont get me started on the hours of so called entertainment called 'X' factor) and said; 'And so is that for many too!'. The point I am making is that we all have different tastes and interests, one man's meat is another's poison. There has been a massive increase in 'crafting' and traditional hobbies of late, I have even spied the ladies airbrushing cakes and making scenic landscapes with such, no fear of airbrushing for them! Also 'Crafters' are using CAD and computer controlled cutters and 3D printers etc etc. - their hobby isnt that much different to ours, in fact they do more 'doing' than most of us.  All of this stuff is out there, on TV, loud and proud, in the public domain. Our hobby? Apparently not so.

Ben et al did a good job in the relatively recent BBC TV docu. about the 'Love of -Train- Sets' and I understand, from other contributors, that there was enough footage for another programme. The question is, are we lobbying the media to be heard or do we/are we waiting for the ball to come to us (so to speak)?

Of course it could just be that 40,50,60 years ago little boys wanted to be an engine driver whereas now they dont - most seem to want to be famous for 15 minutes instead (not all of them do of course)???

Those in education in eg the Nordic countries, know that too much TV or computer time doesn't help put kids ahead and it hinders their progress in fact, I believe that I am correct to write that in Finland kids dont start academic education until the age of 7, up until then, they learn through play, crafting and Forest School type education etc. South Korean kids, from an early age, programme and build robots etc and yet they spend less time on computers than kids in the UK do! 

Of late 'UK PLC', through successive governments incompetence(?) is being eroded and seems to be loosing the plot - as well as industries, industries which other countries support and hold onto for the sake of self sustainability (ie Adam Smith's lighthouses et al). That is of course the macrocosm, but I can see similarities in the microcosm that is our hobby and the companies that support it.

I didnt come on here, today, to write 'war and peace' so why did I? Because I care passionately about our hobby, it has been a mainstay in my life and I have met many wonderful people in and through the hobby, many now who are firm friends, the hobby has helped me through some challenging times too and continues to do so- and where I can, I like to (please forgive the modern parlance) give back to the hobby. And yet, even with some wonderful progress and improvements - of late - within the hobby, I believe that we are on a knife edge when one looks at the industry that supports the hobby, the ongoing global socio-economic situation and the way in which some/certain manufacturers are driving (and/or reacting) the hobby, some of which could be viewed as fire-fighting short-termism - all of which will affect the future of the hobby.

Perhaps we need to 'big up' the hobby to a wider audience, or do we just let the hobby come to a natural and inevitable end as other interests take precedence in the, broader, public at large?

Kind regards to all,

CME :)

That is some piece CME. and a worthwhile read.

I agree with many of your points totally, my son recently watched me soldering and asked if he could "have a go" as he hadn't done it before, apparently it was banned at school because little Johnny's mum didn't want to risk him burning himself.  So I showed him and after a few minutes he was tinning bits of wire to his hearts content, he's 20 next birthday, I learned to solder when I was 12.

On the subject of clubs, I feel too many do too little to attract the younger element, the interest is there because we see them at our exhibitions, the problem being that less and less parents these days are willing to ferry kids around in the pursuit of their hobbies, and with premises in the towns costing an arm and a leg, many clubs have to resort to out of town premises, perhaps the answer is us older ennthusiasts paying a lot more in club fees for a few years, enabling us to move to the bright lights, which should encourage more members and in time allow the fees to drop.

If we were in the town we could probably hold more profitable open days, we have one in April, we are in a small village, expecting people to travel fours miles to see some model railways doesn't seem too big an ask..does it.  Do it in the town on a Saturday or Sunday when the shops are open and I bet a pound to a penny we would be crowded out.

Bigging up the hobby is a good cause, our show visitor numbers was down this year on last, and of course we blamed the fact that it was a "nice" day, and people went out more than the previous year, if I remember rightly 2014 was a couple of good days during ou show too, when I look inward I wonder if we sat on our laurels a little from a good year, and actually worked less to produce the show ?

That is some piece CME. and a worthwhile read.

I agree with many of your points totally, my son recently watched me soldering and asked if he could "have a go" as he hadn't done it before, apparently it was banned at school because little Johnny's mum didn't want to risk him burning himself.  So I showed him and after a few minutes he was tinning bits of wire to his hearts content, he's 20 next birthday, I learned to solder when I was 12.

On the subject of clubs, I feel too many do too little to attract the younger element, the interest is there because we see them at our exhibitions, the problem being that less and less parents these days are willing to ferry kids around in the pursuit of their hobbies, and with premises in the towns costing an arm and a leg, many clubs have to resort to out of town premises, perhaps the answer is us older ennthusiasts paying a lot more in club fees for a few years, enabling us to move to the bright lights, which should encourage more members and in time allow the fees to drop.

If we were in the town we could probably hold more profitable open days, we have one in April, we are in a small village, expecting people to travel fours miles to see some model railways doesn't seem too big an ask..does it.  Do it in the town on a Saturday or Sunday when the shops are open and I bet a pound to a penny we would be crowded out.

Bigging up the hobby is a good cause, our show visitor numbers was down this year on last, and of course we blamed the fact that it was a "nice" day, and people went out more than the previous year, if I remember rightly 2014 was a couple of good days during ou show too, when I look inward I wonder if we sat on our laurels a little from a good year, and actually worked less to produce the show ?

Hi Graham,

:mosking:  :mosking:  Thanks, I didnt set out to write it!

I learned to solder at the age of 12 too. My Dad and his friend were called into local school so as to teach wood-turning as the woodworking teacher couldnt work wood! Mind you with cut-backs, I suspect that the teacher was probably drafted in from another discipline. Dad banned all mobile phones and commanded total concentration, especially when dealing with lathes etc. But many kids made some great stuff and some even joined his wood-turning club and are still there as adults with some going up to Uni to do engineering based courses etc. One said to me; 'without your dad's help I would have amounted to nothing, I have served my apprenticeship and I am a plumber now - I look on your dad as my second dad, I hope that you dont mind?' Mind? I was delighted, proud too.

I agree about the locational issues. When we started a new club - many years ago - we had council help/sponsorship, Im guessing that those days are gone? To my mind the UK should be focusing on the people and not big business, sadly the latter is the main thrust of interest to TPTB and the rest just has to be subservient and fall in line.

A fair few shows have reported that numbers are failing over the past two years, yet whereas shows were in the £3-5 per adult ticket region a year or two back some are now in the £8 bracket - which is quite and increase (I know some shows let kids in free). I realise that venue prices have increased but I wonder if such prices are now putting the public off?

Kind regards,

CME :)

• RMweb Premium

Picked up a copy at WHSmith on Thursday and have been spending the weekend browsing through it as time allows. A really good magazine I thought. I buy BRM on and off , and like browsing the mags to see if anything of interest. However it's the DVD that really has made a difference and Phil Parkers Ruston Quay which I thought was really good. I hadn't paid too much attention to it in the mag , it was the DVD that caught my attention. I think Phil seems to be a natural for the video. But really interested in the colouring of the brickwork section. Suspect I've missed how he built that large warehouse. Shame as I fancy doing a low relief version to fill a backscene in my layout. Also enjoyed the Garden Railway and as has been said, would like to see more on DVD

So well done! Just the sort of read/ viewing required for a wet Sunday.

• Administrators

Picked up a copy at WHSmith on Thursday and have been spending the weekend browsing through it as time allows. A really good magazine I thought. I buy BRM on and off , and like browsing the mags to see if anything of interest. However it's the DVD that really has made a difference and Phil Parkers Ruston Quay which I thought was really good. I hadn't paid too much attention to it in the mag , it was the DVD that caught my attention. I think Phil seems to be a natural for the video. But really interested in the colouring of the brickwork section. Suspect I've missed how he built that large warehouse. Shame as I fancy doing a low relief version to fill a backscene in my layout. Also enjoyed the Garden Railway and as has been said, would like to see more on DVD

So well done! Just the sort of read/ viewing required for a wet Sunday.

Thanks for the compliment. Please write to the BBC and suggest I could be the new James May on the relaunched Top Gear. :sungum:

As for the big building - It's in last month's issue.

BRM arrives at the various mail centres either direct from your distributors, or via RM collecting them, I can assure you that any arriving on  say a Tuesday are despatched to delivery offices by the Wednesday for delivery on the Wednesday.  All Royal Mail mail centres and delivery offices operate a "clear floor" policy, which means that any mail coming in, has to be processed and delivered to households by 5pm the following day.

There are even cases where some magazines arrive early with a delivery date on the yorks, they are then delivered that day.

So the problems anyone encounters are more than likely your end than at Royal Mail.

You cannot blame RM for poorly addressed items, we as postmen do our best to find the right house on a daily basis, to ensure the mail gets to the right person on the day it's intended to, again the problem is more likely to be at your distributors, or the person who makes up the database, one letter wrong in the wrong part of the postcode can see it ending up in Stoke on Trent, instead of Salisbury !

Thanks for the response. You'll note that my original posting specifically does not blame Royal Mail for factors such as incorrect labels and postcodes - that would be grossly unfair on postmen and women, who have a difficult enough job as it is. It simply states them as possible contributory factors, based on my past experience. Over the last 15 years, that experience also includes examples such as a local postman  found to be taking a shine to particular magazines and keeping them, rather than delivering as intended, one instance where magazines were being binned by an individual for some reason and dozens of examples of magazines going astray in the system for many other reasons. With so many stages in the process, and so many variables that can affect the delivery of individual magazines it is, sadly, inevitable that the odd one goes missing. But when you consider how many copies are sent out each month, the failure rate is remarkably small. Royal Mail often gets criticised for poor service, but quite often takes the blame for failures elsewhere, because it's an easy target (a bit like the railways!).

You cannot blame RM for poorly addressed items, we as postmen do our best to find the right house on a daily basis, to ensure the mail gets to the right person on the day it's intended to, again the problem is more likely to be at your distributors, or the person who makes up the database, one letter wrong in the wrong part of the postcode can see it ending up in Stoke on Trent, instead of Salisbury !

Whilst not disagreeing with you about the correct transcription of postcodes I have to disagree about some postmen doing their best. I have had to put the word 'bungalow' in front of my number and street in my address as postmen continually fail to read it properly and deliver to a block of flats instead. This is despite clearly addressed items. ( I also receive excellent service from the postmen, especially one that knows I moved 2 years ago)

• Administrators

Hi Phil,

I have sent you a PM - hope I have pressed the right buttons and its got through okay.

Kindest,

CME

You sent it on Saturday night - I hadn't got back from the IPMS show by then! After that there was the model boat show on Sunday, so I've only just had the chance to reply. Questions now answered with a bit of luck.

• RMweb Premium

For the first time I am still waiting for my copy of BRM five days after it appeared on the shelves of my local branch of Smiths. As the address has been correct for the last seven or so months I have to assume that it is not wrongly addressed so just have to hope it will arrive tomorrow as it sounds like a very good read once again.

For the first time I am still waiting for my copy of BRM five days after it appeared on the shelves of my local branch of Smiths. As the address has been correct for the last seven or so months I have to assume that it is not wrongly addressed so just have to hope it will arrive tomorrow as it sounds like a very good read once again.

It certainly doesn't sound right Chris, give our subs offer a call on 01778 392002.

• RMweb Premium

I will give it another day before contacting them. Thank you for your interest in what I consider a very minor hiccup although I know others find it impossible to wait for even the second post (if such a thing still exists).

EDIT:  Well BRM December arrived on 10th November so it just took its time with Royal Mail. All is well that ends well!

• RMweb Gold

I was lucky when younger in that in our local model club we had a group of honourable fellows who encouraged myself and others to persevere with our model-making whatever the discipline, later on in life Jack Ray encouraged me, as he did many others too - but some of these fellows are no longer with us.

I also think that, from what I have heard from the trade and manufacturers et al, 'box collectors and RTR/RTP fans' (each to their own and no value judgements made, just an observation) are missing a trick by not tackling a kit every now and again. I also think that we are loosing tacit knowledge at a rapid rate of knots re the 'doing' part of the hobby as less and less of the old guard are here to pass such on and/or are not writing about their model-making as much as they once did (for a myriad of reasons). Perhaps there will come a time, when box collectors et al will want to do some modelling (perhaps when the kids have left home etc etc) and my concern is that by that time much of this tacit knowledge (and associated skills) will be lost and thus there will be no one to pass such on.

Has anybody else noticed when attending an exhibition nowadays, that there is now a lack of display cases showing off the scratch built work of the respective club members? Something I can remember seeing in my younger days at almost every exhibition I attended. As CME and Others have stated are we now losing those members who used to scratch build items, the club members now preferring to build kits or buy RTR instead. Or are they no longer willing to show off their work to the other fellow modellers? At a recent exhibition I attended there were a couple of small display cases of such models, but on closer inspection I noticed that for the majority of the models, the same 3 names were being credited with their production. As for these (oldies?) passing on their skills, that is where the late series of Right Track DVD`s scored a success, giving us the chance to see and watch some of the well known modellers of today demonstrating their skills. This is an area that must be exploited before it’s too late if we want our hobby to thrive into the future.

Has anybody else noticed when attending an exhibition nowadays, that there is now a lack of display cases showing off the scratch built work of the respective club members? Something I can remember seeing in my younger days at almost every exhibition I attended. As CME and Others have stated are we now losing those members who used to scratch build items, the club members now preferring to build kits or buy RTR instead. Or are they no longer willing to show off their work to the other fellow modellers? At a recent exhibition I attended there were a couple of small display cases of such models, but on closer inspection I noticed that for the majority of the models, the same 3 names were being credited with their production. As for these (oldies?) passing on their skills, that is where the late series of Right Track DVD`s scored a success, giving us the chance to see and watch some of the well known modellers of today demonstrating their skills. This is an area that must be exploited before it’s too late if we want our hobby to thrive into the future.

Hi BA,

I agree - in some quarters it is now seen as 'elitist' if a modeller scratch or kit builds! That's madness, our hobby is a broad-church and should be able to cater for every taste and interest.

I have kit built and scratch built in several modelling disciplines and scales, and yet I am an average modeller, and my skills pale when compared to some of those who have gone before me.

The RT DVDs were superb and I shall miss them. It would be nice to see, not only instructional DVDs, but some in depth, feature length DVDs on great layouts, perhaps with a hints and tips section from the owners/builders.

We have some very exciting developments in the hobby at this time and yet I do get the feeling that some are fiddling whilst Rome burns. True RTR has it benefits and I, like many, also buy RTR, from time to time, yet those who are part of the headlong dash into RTR/RTP are missing a trick or two IMHO.

Tacit knowledge is disappearing and thus some of the opportunity to learn how to model-make will be lost.

I agree with Tony Wright, even if a kit has fought one all of the way - some do - then there is a massive sense of achievement and enjoyment at creating a model. Im lucky, in 7mm, each model, is a model in its own right and rewards accordingly.

As I said we also need to 'big up' the hobby outwith of our own sphere and into the wider world. How such is done is for those who are in positions that have access to the wider media et al. to decide and act accordingly.

ATVB

CME

• RMweb Premium

Watched the DVD last night, very interesting. Would be nice to see more of the garden railway.

A query from reading the magazne, I would be interested to know what the Gauge One layout used for ballast. Stone chippings would make the baseboards very heavy.

Re 'Tail Lamp'. The 12th November edition of the Westmoorland Gazette' has an article about somene making a model of Dent station, without any of the usual 'trainspotter' or 'anorak' comments, just a nice factual read.

• RMweb Premium

I have not received my copy of BRM yet this month, my quarterly subscription was renewed in November. Any reasons why t hat might be the case?

Tony, whatever the reason, your subs copy is well overdue and I'd suggest you ring the number quoted by Andy Y in post # 66.

Hope you get this sorted.

Regards,

John

Archived