Drawbar and Others Container Lorries

Satan's Goldfish

I don't think I'm going crazy but I'm pretty sure I've seen on several occasions in the past rigid lorries like this:

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/len_rogers/2007/05/scania-lockyer.jpg

With a 20ft box on (as per the picture) pulling a drawbar trailer with 3 rigid axles that's carrying another 20ft box. Vehicle arrangement wheel wise like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fryske/4478984101

but I can't seem to find a picture lurking on the internet of this setup anywhere. Am I going crazy or do others remember this?

I can understand why they're not as popular as 40ft articulated trailers, lack of flexibility on box size capability. The caption with the first picture even says it normally pulls a trailer, but I can't find a picture of said trailer! Help!

Cheers

Edited by Satan's Goldfish

We get a lot of these on the Tunnel; they're very popular with the big parcels carriers, such as DPD and DHL. The ones we get normally carry a pair of the shorter (6.7m?) swap-bodies, but I sometimes see them with ISO boxes. Earlier versions use two axles (one rigid, one steerable), but I've noticed a move towards three rigid axles in recent years.

We get a lot of these on the Tunnel; they're very popular with the big parcels carriers, such as DPD and DHL. The ones we get normally carry a pair of the shorter (6.7m?) swap-bodies, but I sometimes see them with ISO boxes. Earlier versions use two axles (one rigid, one steerable), but I've noticed a move towards three rigid axles in recent years.

those sound like the sort I've noticed now I've been actively looking for them, but normally with a fixed body (Argos!) rather than containers.

The 'plan' is to add some variation to my container lorry fleet by matching a suitable prime mover from Oxford Diecast with just the back half of their detachable container trailer using the existing connecting bar as the drawbar. But I wanted to make sure I hadn't just imagined the arrangement first. (That's another 1 for the project pile then!)

• Like 1

those sound like the sort I've noticed now I've been actively looking for them, but normally with a fixed body (Argos!) rather than containers.

The 'plan' is to add some variation to my container lorry fleet by matching a suitable prime mover from Oxford Diecast with just the back half of their detachable container trailer using the existing connecting bar as the drawbar. But I wanted to make sure I hadn't just imagined the arrangement first. (That's another 1 for the project pile then!)

You'll probably find, if you look closely, that many of the 'Argos' and similar trailers are also 'demountables'. They don't have the Twistlocks or reinforced lifting pockets of normal containers and swap-bodies; rather, they have strengthened floors, and legs that fold up and down. With these, the lorry and drag drop off the bodies at the distribution hub, and pick up loaded ones; it means that expensive 'rolling stock' doesn't stand around waiting to be loaded all day. Bodies are simply moved around the site by a 'shunter' as required. Trunk and delivery drivers simply pick up their new load from a row of identical bodies; what could possibly go wrong? Well, there was a friend of mine who turned up late at a badly lit depot, swapped bodies, then discovered (at her first drop, 150 miles away) that the one she'd picked up was empty.

Drawbar trailers are limited in their versatility by the fact they can only carry 20' boxes, which is good for domestic retail deliveries, such as Argos etc as mentioned above but restrictive in Intermodal operations where a standard arctic skeletal trailer can carry anything from a 10' - 45' Box.

Drawbar trailers are also notably much harder to manoeuvre requiring a much bigger turning area, especially for reversing.

Retail deliveries favour swap bodies on 20' chassis / drawbar arrangements, this allows them to drop off the trailer and just use the 20" chassis to deliver to shops with restricted delivery facilities, i.e. high streets, the driver can then swap the trailer body for the chassis at a suitable area if needed and repeat the delivery process. This is not possible with Intermodal boxes.

From what I've witnessed over the past 11 years on the dock, hauliers seem to struggle to remember to set their twistlocks to the correct position, (trying to accept a 45' box without flipping out the extendable pins springs to mind)- let alone the confusion with the telescopic trailers. So the splitting trailer as per simon47603's post should provide hours of amusement for the casual observer of a wagon driver scratching his head!

I do still see the wagon and drags as mentioned in the OP but as has been eluded to, they are very much in the minority.

Ps. I'm not picking on lorry drivers- my late father was one for the better part of 30 years, but some I've seen I wouldn't trust to tie their own shoes!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

As it was built for a specific traffic on a specific route I doubt that there is anything quite the same elsewhere. There are certainly a few drawbar tractors converted from artic tractors about.

If you like something big and different, I saw this on Sunday evening;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105576-modern-showmans-road-train/

As it was built for a specific traffic on a specific route I doubt that there is anything quite the same elsewhere. There are certainly a few drawbar tractors converted from artic tractors about.

If you like something big and different, I saw this on Sunday evening;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105576-modern-showmans-road-train/

I like that. Always accepted that full Aussie Road Train would be too much to justify for UK, but rule 1 could be invoked there with a 20 40 20 set up......

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

That is a conventional skeletal trailer with a 'dolly', a short trailer with a fifth wheel between it and the tractive unit. Oxford now make a drawbar unit with a three axle trailer that can be modified to represent a container trailer. This has the advantage of having the correct towing bar that attaches to the towing vehicle near to the back axle.

That is a conventional skeletal trailer with a 'dolly', a short trailer with a fifth wheel between it and the tractive unit. Oxford now make a drawbar unit with a three axle trailer that can be modified to represent a container trailer. This has the advantage of having the correct towing bar that attaches to the towing vehicle near to the back axle.

Off to the Oxford website!

The other issue with that skelly trailer is it's a 30ft rather than the the more conventional 40ft. Unfortunately my only 30ft trailer for bulktainers has the hydraulic gear fitted for tipping the container up (it was a custom build by Mick Lawrence for me). I am torn between creating a representation of that drawbar dolly unit for 30s or just going completely 1-off bespoke creating my own unit transporting 20ft and 40ft boxes from the cranes to the stacks road-train style...... or both!

• Like 1

I'll tell you now a 32 ton rigid with a drag is a complete swine when it comes to getting around town!!!

Will admit to having completely flouted the law on driving one, but in fairness it was in "Johnny Foreigner Land" and I was happy that the local 5 O' would have sold me a temporary license if I had required one at short notice...... Ha ha Ha!

Some of the show trucking companies are using them but only on "Jobs" where they can be pretty confident of the route to the venue and the load in. As mentioned in earlier posts as a formation they require a lot more wiggle room than forty footers and when it comes to reversing............... Well you have to have your wits about you.

From a modelling point of view having one on your layout means it's either got to be on a straight piece of road or whatever area of hard standing you have it placed on is going to need airfield proportions, otherwise you run the risk of some commentator informing you in their adenoidal rage that "Oh i think you'd find that your vehicle would be well and truly marooned if that was in the real world.......nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeehhhhhhh". 

• Like 1

I'm starting a 'prototype for everything' folder to take around with me full of pictures to conveniently slap people with that clearly think they know better before informing them to take their negative views elsewhere and end with the comment 'it's just a fictional model, you massive ######'. It'll be fun!

• 4 weeks later...

On the drive down to the Canterbury show last weekend, we passed this :)

post-9147-0-42722000-1454263136.jpg

post-9147-0-07996300-1454263167.jpg

(Taken with Mrs SGs iphone, so my apologies if they appear the wrong way up).

Also, I'm not sure how to post or tag it onto here but Dan of Dan's Dirty Diesels sent me a video on Facebook of a B unit in Holland linking together and carrying 3x 20ft containers. Search for Peke Spiiberg on there and look at his videos and you should find it. - Edit: unit pic like this: http://www.commercialmotor.com/big-lorry-blog/longher-heavier-vehicles-on-bi

Edited by Satan's Goldfish
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

You'll probably find, if you look closely, that many of the 'Argos' and similar trailers are also 'demountables'. They don't have the Twistlocks or reinforced lifting pockets of normal containers and swap-bodies; rather, they have strengthened floors, and legs that fold up and down. With these, the lorry and drag drop off the bodies at the distribution hub, and pick up loaded ones; it means that expensive 'rolling stock' doesn't stand around waiting to be loaded all day. Bodies are simply moved around the site by a 'shunter' as required. Trunk and delivery drivers simply pick up their new load from a row of identical bodies; what could possibly go wrong? Well, there was a friend of mine who turned up late at a badly lit depot, swapped bodies, then discovered (at her first drop, 150 miles away) that the one she'd picked up was empty.

I know of a driver who picked up one of these bodies (not an ARGOS one) that was turned the wrong way round. He only discovered there was a problem after unloading the device at the destination. From all accounts neither he nor the recipient was very happy.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...