Phil Mc's workbench

Phil Mc

59 minutes ago, Phil Mc said:

Decals on.

Which sounds fairly straightforward.

But the GBRailfreight lettering for the cabside and nose end aren't actually available in the Blue colour, the nearest I could find was a Railtec sheet with the right lettering in the right size, but in Black not Blue !

A quick game of email tennis between me and Steve at Railtec, saw him modify the sheet to suit what I (  & anyone else, as it's now on his website !! )  wanted.

Thanks Steve, excellent service as always.

Cheers,

Phil.

20190411_154403.jpg

As all ways top draw stuff......but....who has been dribbling on roof above the '7'...? I know American rail fans are called frothers! But rail fans from South Yorkshire...'droolers' or 'dribblers' get a tissue! 

G

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

As all ways top draw stuff......but....who has been dribbling on roof above the '7'...? I know American rail fans are called frothers! But rail fans from South Yorkshire...'droolers' or 'dribblers' get a tissue! 

G

I knew someone would spot that, & I guessed it would be you !! :D

I'd only just finished putting the decals on, so it's a drop of water.

Honest !

Cheers,

Phil.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

So, after varnishing the body and doing the detail painting, I started to weather it, figuring that the chassis and roof are both quite dirty but the bodysides are actually pretty clean....

.......the 'frame dirt' had gone on the chassis, then I realised I'd completely forgotten to put the aerials on the roof !!:blush:

The 'T' aerial bases were glued in position and painted.

The 'shark-fin' aerials have a circular base, which I think is such a thin plate on the prototype that whatever I used on the model would look overly thick. So I just scribed a circle onto the roof and hoped for the best.:blink:

Lucky the roof is so dirty, as it hides the mismatch of paint colour on the 'T' aerial, and that the Yellow plastic showed through the circle !

The roof was then weathered, and hopefully disaster averted !!

Cheers,

Phil.

20190419_074224.jpg

20190419_074036.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

All put back together.

I'm not overly happy with the 'shark-fin' aerials, so they'll probably get swapped for something better when I find something, or they annoy me enough that I make some better ones ! 

( they're only stuck on with Krystal Klear so will remove easily )

This loco is having Kadee's at both ends, if only so I don't get any grief from 'bradford buffer' for leaving the coupling and the pipes hanging down !!  :lol::lol:

Cheers,

Phil.

20190422_103113.jpg

20190422_103140.jpg

20190422_103205.jpg

20190422_103226.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

On 22/04/2019 at 11:22, Phil Mc said:

All put back together.

I'm not overly happy with the 'shark-fin' aerials, so they'll probably get swapped for something better when I find something, or they annoy me enough that I make some better ones ! 

This loco is having Kadee's at both ends, if only so I don't get any grief from 'bradford buffer' for leaving the coupling and the pipes hanging down !!  :lol::lol:

Cheers,

Phil.

20190422_103113.jpg

20190422_103140.jpg

20190422_103205.jpg

20190422_103226.jpg

'Grief'...no grief from me...just....STANDARDS!

top job phil....

• RMweb Premium

All put back together.

Cheers,

Phil.

20190422_103113.jpg

20190422_103140.jpg

20190422_103205.jpg

20190422_103226.jpg

NIce work Phil.

I make shark fin aerials by cutting a slot into the body and glueing in an oversize piece of 10 thou styrene sheet.

Let it set for 24-48 hours and then pare it back with a knife into the correct shape/size.

Cheers,

Mick

All put back together.

Cheers,

Phil.

20190422_103113.jpg

20190422_103140.jpg

20190422_103205.jpg

20190422_103226.jpg

Just realized....in view of earlier posts re name of swmbo....this is rm web equivalent of 'readers wife's ' in that case Coooooor what a cracker....any chance of a photo with top off?....(to see decoder socket you dirty minded bunch)

• Funny 1

6 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Just realized....in view of earlier posts re name of swmbo....this is rm web equivalent of 'readers wife's ' in that case Coooooor what a cracker....any chance of a photo with top off?....(to see decoder socket you dirty minded bunch)

Body work not bad for her age... lovely buffers...nice set of shoes!....any more benny hill quotes !

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 09:22, bradfordbuffer said:

Body work not bad for her age... lovely buffers...nice set of shoes!....any more benny hill quotes !

Don't even think about mentioning the dirt around the outlet !!

Cheers,

Phil.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 01:02, newbryford said:

NIce work Phil.

I make shark fin aerials by cutting a slot into the body and glueing in an oversize piece of 10 thou styrene sheet.

Let it set for 24-48 hours and then pare it back with a knife into the correct shape/size.

Cheers,

Mick

I made them from some 'T' shaped plastic rod turned upside down, to give an impression of the base of the aerial.

Think the stuff I used is just too big though, so it didn't really work !

Might look for some smaller section, or just nick your idea !!

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1

On 24/04/2019 at 09:22, bradfordbuffer said:

Lovely chassis, fnarr, fnarr

• Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

While making my mind up what to do next ( I feel it may be an up-to-date repaint ! ) I thought I should really do something with a couple of mk3's I've had stashed away for a while.

They're EMT livery, a TSO & a buffet, which will be used to add a bit of variety into my VTEC rake.

I'd quite fancy a full rake in this livery, but I'm not paying the barmy prices they seem to go for !!

Cheers,

Phil.

20190505_210530.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Next project chosen....

...find one unit that doesn't really fit in with an era any more, and decide to turn it into something useful.

I know Bachmann have a unit planned in the livery I've chosen, but they're doing a 150/2, and I'm doing a 150/1 !

After breaking it down into component parts, I was just going to rub down the bodywork, but eventually figured it might just be as easy to give it a bath in superstrip and start from scratch.

I'm currently in the exciting stage of - filler into the bodyside window / sand down / primer / decide the window is still visible /  filler into the bodyside window / sand down / primer / decide the window is still visible / repeat until bored :blink:

Cheers,

Phil.

P.S.

Thanks Mick for the pics  !

20190507_153838.jpg

20190507_213644.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

5 hours ago, Phil Mc said:

Next project chosen....

...find one unit that doesn't really fit in with an era any more, and decide to turn it into something useful.

I know Bachmann have a unit planned in the livery I've chosen, but they're doing a 150/2, and I'm doing a 150/1 !

After breaking it down into component parts, I was just going to rub down the bodywork, but eventually figured it might just be as easy to give it a bath in superstrip and start from scratch.

I'm currently in the exciting stage of - filler into the bodyside window / sand down / primer / decide the window is still visible /  filler into the bodyside window / sand down / primer / decide the window is still visible / repeat until bored :blink:

Cheers,

Phil.

P.S.

Thanks Mick for the pics  !

20190507_153838.jpg

20190507_213644.jpg

Looks another interesting project here Phill..

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 23:31, Phil Mc said:

Welcome to my world...……..

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, newbryford said:

Welcome to my world...……..

At least it isn't as bad as doing 950001, I was losing the will to live by the time that was finished !!

Anyway, window filled and unit primed....

Cheers,

Phil.

20190511_174832.jpg

20190511_174829.jpg

20190511_174826.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Window? What Window?...top draw Phil 

Should be the other side that's filled in...……………………………..

:jester:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, newbryford said:

Should be the other side that's filled in...……………………………..

:jester:

No it shouldn't.........

.......he says as he goes to check !!!

Cheers,

Phil.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Yellow on.

Going to have to decide soon what shade of Blue/Purple I'm going to use, this is just some of the colours I've got to choose from !!

Same for the Grey too !!

Cheers,

Phil.

20190514_215030.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 14/05/2019 at 21:25, Phil Mc said:

No it shouldn't.........

.......he says as he goes to check !!!

Cheers,

Phil.

There will be only one type of filling in ! No squadron green required....BOOM! South Yorkshire v Lancashire. 

G

• Funny 1