Phil Mc's workbench

Phil Mc

Just wait until they've had a proper exhibition handling with less than dextrous hands of fellow club members............

Then you'll work out the benefits of Araldite (other two-part epoxy adhesives are available)

Cheers,

Mick

Araldite is a good glue,Though at times it hasnt withstood me!  :no: 

NL

Hi Will,

The only part of the livery on 018 to be resprayed is the angled Red band, I just made it slightly thicker so the inner edge is up to the door handrail recess.

The fading was done with T-cut and cotton buds, firstly removing the numbers, nameplates and the writing. Then I started working vertically along the entire bodyside. I soon got fed-up of this, so used T-cut and a polishing mop in a Dremel, which speeded the process up slightly !

TBH, at this point it looked horrible, even where the paint had been 'faded', the sides were really shiny, as you can imagine from giving it a polish, but I carried on.

Transfers were then applied, with the writing on one side higher up the body than standard, as per the prototype, before the whole lot got a spray of Matt varnish.

Remember to take the windows out before you start !

Cheers,

Phil.

Thanks Phil

A really neat idea and imo really improves the livery. I shall try it myself.

Cheers

Will

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A couple of projects are nearing completion.

A Dapol 73 that's turning from BR Blue 73124, into BR Blue 73128, via a full repaint to correct the colour issues!

I wasn't really expecting to have to do more than a simple renumber, but it's not the end of the world, and I really like the way it's quite easy to strip down and rebuild.

Pics of progress so far, including the bufferbeam with added missing detail of extra pipes and MW boxes. ( separate bufferbeams make this so much easier to work on! )

The other project is 50016 with a Black roof.

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-34950700-1453048549_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-79696500-1453048555_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-72992700-1453048562_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

It's the other way round, Ade lived in Hoover territory when they were running, and our families went on holiday's to Devon at the same time, so we've had plenty of bashing trips together, inc a couple of all-line rovers when there was plenty of loco hauled to go at !! :locomotive: :locomotive:

He was even there the only time I had my favourite machine (Fearless) for haulage. Dawlish to Teignmouth, mega milage !!

cheers,

Phil.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nothing wrong with 50's Mick, especially Large logo ones :senile:

NL

Oh dear, I seem to have stumbled on the Class 50 Appreciation Society page..........................................

:locomotive:

:jester:

Mick

• RMweb Premium

The buffer heads were brush painted matt black when the details were added.

The grease marks are done with the airbrush, as i'm weathering the rest of the loco.

With the gun loaded with 'roof dirt', and held 5-10 mm from the bufferhead, I leave the air flowing and gently go on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off with the paint (obviously it's a dual action airbrush, working at about 10-15psi). The airflow tends to partially dry the paint in-between applications, which helps to create the texture and 'circles' in the grease.

Usually after I've used the 'roof dirt' I load the gun with 'matt black' paint to put some soot around the exhaust outlets, & the bufferheads get another dose of the same treatment, done the same way, just to vary the tones.

It has been known for me to forget to do the bufferheads whilst weathering with the airbrush, in which case I use a cottonbud dipped in 'matt black', but don't just touch the buffer once, keep tapping it, maybe 20 times, to help give texture & prevent a uniform circle pattern.

HTH

Cheers,

Phil.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've been on domestic duties just lately (not sure why Mrs Mc thinks that because I enjoy spraying paint on a train with an airbrush that I should enjoy emulsioning walls with a roller !!), but I have managed to get a loco ready for weathering.

Hoping to get the nameplates etc for 33047 'Spitfire' at Doncaster exhibition this weekend, so that, and 33201, can both be weathered at the same time.

Not much needed doing to 201, the main things being painting the lamp brackets Yellow, moving the arrow to the other cabsides, bufferbeam details and aerial roofpods adding, and proper Blue stars on the ends instead of the tiny blue dots it came with.

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-55089600-1454972691_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-89744800-1454972696_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Pete,

I think the roof on mine will be dirtier than the roof on yours.

At least enough to mask any discrepancy in the shade of Grey used to paint the (just ordered! ;) ) roof pods, so I don't think the lines on the roof would show.

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

Managed to get another 50 at Doncaster exhibition (only 4 more to get :)) and a 60.

While waiting for the roof pods for 33201 to arrive I've been adding detail to 33047, and making a start on stripping the 60, before its transformation onto a DB or Colas loco. Haven't decided which yet, but both liveries look better than the one its in at the minute!!

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-87697800-1456176845_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-37915000-1456176852_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

making a start on stripping the 60, before its transformation onto a DB or Colas loco. Haven't decided which yet, but both liveries look better than the one its in at the minute!!

Hmmmmm. Another livery for 60066.

It's obvious really.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1