81A Oldoak

• RMweb Gold

It's got the same size KA as the Fowler but is set up slightly differently to it. If its running and loses the DCC signal it will come to a stand after 1.5seconds but the decoder is still powered until the KA runs out so the random sounds such as shovelling, injector and safety valves can still play. With motor stopped there is less load on the KA so it could last quite a while.

The only issue I can see might be working out why it's stopped if it stops for lack of DCC as it will sit there playing its sounds whilst studiously ignoring you

Ahh, gotcha. Seems a good way to do it.

If I'm a good boy and get my domestic duties done tomorrow morning then we might get to do some more testing tomorrow- failing that, boxing day is pencilled in as "do nothing but drink tea, eat leftovers and play trains" day so I'll report back then- which of course I wouldn't be able to do had you not managed to get them out before the 25th :)

This is really frustrating.........

I worked stupid hours to get as many of the sound fitted Pecketts out before the couriers knocked off and have been looking forward the hearing what people thought of the 'drive like the real thing' sound project.

Sadly it seems some bloke called Santa has kidnapped them all and wont let anyone play with them until Friday (and then only if they've been good)

Was expecting you to have teased us with a video clip of one demonstrating all its bells, whistles and safety valves by now....

Cheers,

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

Was expecting you to have teased us with a video clip of one demonstrating all its bells, whistles and safety valves by now....

Cheers,

Andrew

Haven't had time to do that yet. Might do that first thing tomorrow as I need a break from actually doing installations

• RMweb Gold

Wise move, before you're doing them in your sleep...

Trouble with taking a break from doing Pecketts is that there's a Manning Wardle, a Fowler, 2 K28's, a K27, a K36, a Shay and several others for customers waiting plus my cl37 & cl31 in the immediate queue. Sometimes it gets to the point of being overwhelming and none of them get done

Took some quick snaps, although my phone camera doesn't cope well with the lighting (and an all black engine doesn't help). It's a big old lump, but much to my relief it does seem to fit everywhere on the layout. Shame it's not set up to actually run... soon!

20151223_213540.jpg

20151223_213644.jpg

20151223_214002.jpg

The buffer beams are not pink in reality...

The only thing that jars a bit cosmetically are the buffer heads- they don't look quite right to me. Very minor though. Several bits are notably better than the plastic Ixion 0 gauge locos, wheels and motion and couplings for example. My brief trial earlier suggests that it's a very nice runner- which is much more important to me, I'm happy to tweak and fiddle with cosmetics but RTR should be just that and both the Fowler and this would seem to get a big tick in that box. Very much looking forward to having a proper play and learning to drive it on Boxing day- will attempt a video once I've had a practice!

Trouble with taking a break from doing Pecketts is that there's a Manning Wardle, a Fowler, 2 K28's, a K27, a K36, a Shay and several others for customers waiting plus my cl37 & cl31 in the immediate queue. Sometimes it gets to the point of being overwhelming and none of them get done

Ah yes, know that feeling... Plenty of DCC'ing to do then? Shan't add to the pile just yet then!

• 4 weeks later...

I've just received one of these amazing locos. Can anyone who has fitted their own sound chip advise me on what sound they have used at all?. Chris had said about using a j94 sound, has anyone else used this or a generic sound. And where from

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

Genuine Peckett sound project as fitted in the sound installed versions will be available from EDM Models as a decoder and as an installation kit with custom keep alive in about two weeks once I get all the installations done.

Genuine Peckett sound project as fitted in the sound installed versions will be available from EDM Models as a decoder and as an installation kit with custom keep alive in about two weeks once I get all the installations done.

• RMweb Gold

No problem with money up front purchases.

Reservations made then cancelled more than once just means I won't accept reservations from you (I am guessing this is the issue as I don't recognise your pseudonym on here and there is only one person I have had a Peckett issue with)

My sound fitted Peckett arrived today :)

I just want to say a big thank you to Chris and Chris for producing such a fantastic model. I'm keen to know what the next Minerva model will be. *cough* 14XX *cough* ;)

Paul Martin at NG Trains I take my hat off to you sir. The sound project is far and beyond anything I've ever heard before.

Many thanks gents.

My sound-fitted black Peckett also arrived today.

Nowhere to run it at the moment .... just a mere detail ..... but it (or should that be she) looks a cracking little engine.

I knew I was towards the end of a long list of orders so many thanks to Paul Martin for getting through a lot of DCC/sound installs so quickly. I don't think he will want to look at another Peckett for a very long time!

And thanks to the two Chris's for producing a such a great looking loco. Can't wait to run it.

Stephen

I believe there's an easy way to turn the volume down.   :jester:

I actually managed to turn mine all the way down and then spent some time trying to work out why it wasn't working...

This is more a reflection on my incompetence than anything else (and the DCC setup I was using)!

I ran my Manning Wardle at the weekend and even on a roundy roundy the lack of controlled brakes made it less enjoyable to run- the setup on the Peckett is definitely the way forward.

I'll attempt to get a video at some point, I did say I would over Christmas but I didn't manage to commandeer anyone to hold the camera! I'll be running it at Yate model railway exhibition on the 13th of Feb too. My layout is turning into a bit of an advert for Minerva/ Ixion...

• RMweb Gold

Plan A for today was a load of jobs to tidy up as the last of the pre-ordered DCC & Sound installed Peckett locos left today. One of those jobs was to try and record a video of one of them to post on here.

Plan A didn't last very long

On the down side most of the day was taken up with the attention seeking workshop computer throwing a tantrum that took much of the day to sort out.

On the plus side these shiny bits arrived

post-2660-0-20409300-1453309296.jpg

Tomorrow, hopefully, I'll polish them up and install them on a loco

• RMweb Gold

post-2660-0-60755100-1453394916.jpg

Peckett has a shiny bonnet!

Well, that's the first style polished up and fitted. Two more to do but work is getting in the way.

I took a better picture on my proper camera rather than on my phone but seem to have put the card reader in a safe place.

The brass domes will be available for sale shortly

Pretty!

Well, I've only this afternoon had a chance to get mine out and have a play (sound fitted...)

Worked beautifully straight out of the box. In fact the cheeky b****er started hissing at me as soon as I put it on the track..... I spent five minutes trying to work out what was wrong with my DCC set up, as it wouldn't respond to loco 3, till I read the instructions!

It's a very good thing it's got brakes on it!

The only thing missing on the loco is drain-cocks, which is no great problem - I've got some suitable in the spares box left over from something or other.

Another brilliant little loco.

• RMweb Gold

I spent five minutes trying to work out what was wrong with my DCC set up, as it wouldn't respond to loco 3, till I read the instructions!

I give up and admit that the advice to just leave it at ID#3 was right. I thought a label on the outer box, a label on the inner box, a label on the underside of the chassis and mentioning it twice in big print (once highlighted) in the instructions that it was #14 would be enough.

{Why #14? Have you seen DecoderPro on my laptop? 100+ locos all called number three. #14 was the first number I hadn't got any of}

Archived