Standard Stanier stock used with the blue Princess Coronations

Islesy

• RMweb Premium

Good morning folks.

Whilst considering options for rolling stock behind 6220 Coronation in her original, blue streamlined form, would anyone have any references to non-Coronation Scot rolling stock used please?

Thanks in anticipation,

Paul.

Try the book "The Coronation Scot - The Streamline Era on the LMS" by Edward Talbot.

It is full of interesting information and photographs.

I think the blue coronations occasionally hauled standard LMS coaches when not performing their coronation duties but no idea of actual coach numbers etc. One of their duties included the mid-day-scot which used ordinary coaches.

One day i would like to build a blue streamliner and the appropriate coaches. the first problem is getting hold of a Hornby loco drive version in blue livery.

ps - my grandfather was a driver based at Carlisle Upperby shed in the 30's and 40's and might have driven the locos. I vaguely remember lots of photos etc of him on the footplate of various locos at Carlisle etc. Unfortunately my mother threw all the stuff away so my only 'evidence' is her saying that he drove the "Royal Scot". I will probably never know for certain but the train would look magnificent anyway!

Best option is to try and get a copy of Passenger Train Formations 1923-1983 LMS-LM Region by Clive S Carter published by Ian Allan 1987. It is difficult to find although your library may have a copy. It has typical formations for many of the LMS services. Some of them are also on the Comet Models website on the PDF files for each individual coach. Go to the LMS coach kits section and click the view buttons on the far right for the instructions.

The book doesn't have the diagram numbers as the LMS usually worked on the principal of the right coach type being in the formation rather than set trains like the Southern. So it could be anything from older pre grouping stock right up to the latest design. Although the prestige trains generally had the newest stock available.

Jason

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Try the book "The Coronation Scot - The Streamline Era on the LMS" by Edward Talbot.

It is full of interesting information and photographs.

I think the blue coronations occasionally hauled standard LMS coaches when not performing their coronation duties but no idea of actual coach numbers etc. One of their duties included the mid-day-scot which used ordinary coaches.

One day i would like to build a blue streamliner and the appropriate coaches. the first problem is getting hold of a Hornby loco drive version in blue livery.

ps - my grandfather was a driver based at Carlisle Upperby shed in the 30's and 40's and might have driven the locos. I vaguely remember lots of photos etc of him on the footplate of various locos at Carlisle etc. Unfortunately my mother threw all the stuff away so my only 'evidence' is her saying that he drove the "Royal Scot". I will probably never know for certain but the train would look magnificent anyway!

Have a look on ebay I reckon I have seen a couple in the past couple of weeks

Rgds......Mike

• RMweb Premium

Good morning folks.

Whilst considering options for rolling stock behind 6220 Coronation in her original, blue streamlined form, would anyone have any references to non-Coronation Scot rolling stock used please?

Thanks in anticipation,

Paul.

The original 5 blue locos, weren't restricted to The Coronation Scot only. Since the LMS only required 2 locos a day for that service, they were used on other front line trains too.

However they looked rather silly in blue & white, hauling maroon & yellow black lined coaches, so the decision was taken to paint the next 5 Maroon & Gold. So nothing to stop you using 6220 - 6224 on any newish Stanier coaches, as befitting front line services. They could also be seen on running in turns from Crewe, where almost anything was possible.

Archived